Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 832352 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6555 on: December 10, 2016, 10:32:03 pm »

Yeah, that's more a flaw in the Creation Engine than any fault of the game. Considering their games have to support so many mods, contain massive amounts of scripted content and huge-ass maps, plus the AI component of enemies, I'll forgive them if their FPS engine isn't as good as a game purely about that one aspect. I'm more interested in how many stories I can discover in the world than how many bullets it takes to kill an enemy.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: December 10, 2016, 10:36:54 pm »

No, the game's basic physics engine is HAVOK, the same one that was used for HALO and a number of other very well made FPS titles, the problem is Bethesda being lazy, which is kind of a recurring theme these days.

Their stories are fun, their games are excellent platform, their skills as game makers are atrocious.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: December 11, 2016, 07:33:45 am »

Well their stories leave much to be desired as it is.

Though... I guess I'd have to admit that their stories are USUALLY less broken then their games are... Though Skyrim is a pretty close contender between the two... But then again Skyrim is probably the worst plotline they ever done.

At least Fallout 3 had some intrigue and mystery... and Fallout 4... well... Ok Fallout 4 is a mess too... But not as transcendently bad as Skyrim is.

With Oblivion... Ok that was a mess too... but at least it was them not knowing how to do a directed story in a game without direction.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:36:42 am by Neonivek »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: December 11, 2016, 07:59:20 am »

Fallout 3 had intrigue and mystery? Like what? I think FO4 actually had a bit more since the Institute was a bit more of an unknown than the Enclave with their Michael McDowell president.

As for gunplay, I actually enjoy it a lot more in FO4 than I did in 3. In fact, I've played recent AAA FPSes with worse gunplay. Like I'll still mod in increased weapon damage to tone down the bullet sponge, but I had fun even in vanilla.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: December 11, 2016, 09:34:44 am »

Fallout 3 had intrigue and mystery?
The Pitt. The Pitt was great and the very best thing about FO3.

Well, maybe not mystery.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: December 11, 2016, 09:42:15 am »

Fallout 3 had intrigue and mystery? Like what?

Such as the mysteries of:
Why bother with all this water nonsense if nobody seems to care?
Why are the enclave evil other than 'Because they killed your dad' and 'but they want to control a thing and if we stop them we can control a thing'?
Why am I forced to kill a security guard whom I've known for my entire life instead of trying to talk him down?
Why is the combat so terribly shit?
Why does any of this matter again?
Why can't I preform a holy exterminatus on Little Lamplight?
Why does nobody care if I blow up Megaton apart from the radio DJ?
Why is the evil choice always "baby-eating murderous psychopath"?

And so on and so forth.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: December 11, 2016, 09:48:38 am »

Morrowind. I did kinda get into the story......fuck it: I'm the Nerevarine, bitch! I let the whole reborn saint deal go to my head:

I let the dreaded Corprus disease turn me into a super mutant of strength and endurance. So what, the stat drain that came with it got removed later. I pumped intelligence and boosted alchemy and enchantment until I became a god in both power and title. Muahahahahahahahahaha! Dagoth Ur, you ain't got nothing on the Nerevarine. Summon constant Golden Saints and give myself 999 health returned per second for 9999 duration.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: December 11, 2016, 10:37:15 am »

Morrowind. I did kinda get into the story......fuck it: I'm the Nerevarine, bitch! I let the whole reborn saint deal go to my head:

I let the dreaded Corprus disease turn me into a super mutant of strength and endurance. So what, the stat drain that came with it got removed later. I pumped intelligence and boosted alchemy and enchantment until I became a god in both power and title. Muahahahahahahahahaha! Dagoth Ur, you ain't got nothing on the Nerevarine. Summon constant Golden Saints and give myself 999 health returned per second for 9999 duration.
There is a much easier way to break the game: set sunder and keening to quickslots and cycle between the two incredibly fast: their buffs won't be removed and will stack for as long as you bother to do it (or until it overflows).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: December 12, 2016, 12:57:28 am »

Well to give you guys a break from me bitching bout survival mode, lets bitch about the Brotherhood again :P

You probably wonder why I keep signing on with them when I hate everything they stand for, and the answer is it makes a better story. Particularly this time, since I'm gonna play the Nuka World DLC and get my raider on. Any other ending and it makes no sense to suddenly be an asshole. But with the Brotherhood you're an old veteran of the US army who had his civilian life ripped away from him along with his family. You sign on with the Brotherhood for a sense of familiarity while you try desperately to reclaim your son. But then you find him, and he's an old man. Everything you could rely on is gone, your son is a bitter old madman who you can't feel anything for, so you fall back in line and help the army to kill him, and go back to the only thing you really know. But there's a sticking point in the young synth he built in his image. The Brotherhood tells you to kill it, but the fact he seems so much like your child gnaws at you. Whatever choice you make, you just can't care about anything anymore. And then you find Nuka World, and the raiders offer you a way to distract yourself...

But yeah, Brotherhood are still assholes :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: December 12, 2016, 02:14:56 am »

Meh, I always side with the Institute. Theirs is honestly the best ending scenario for the Commonwealth in my opinion. The Sole Survivor gets to direct the full might of the Institute towards peacefully rebuilding the wasteland, scrap the Gen 3 synth project started by Father, and clean up the outside invasion by the Brotherhood.

It's unfortunate you're not given the option to attempt a diplomatic alliance with the Brotherhood instead of wiping them out. I can honestly see a great deal of benefit were the Brotherhood of Steel and the Institute to open trade negotiations with one another. They'd certainly corner the market on advanced tech.

Makes me wonder what's happening in China during the Fallout timeline. I wonder whether one day America is going to wake up with chinese soldiers invading while they bicker over their own internal differences. I guess China's probably as bad if not worse than America though, so maybe not. Perhaps Australia becomes the new world power? I'm sure nobody would have bothered shooting any nukes there.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: December 12, 2016, 04:03:53 am »

I don't have a preset side I always join up with mostly because they're all kind of sub-par choices. The BoS ending really bothers me. Kinda spoilers in the tag.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: December 12, 2016, 04:05:21 am »

It helps that the institute is stupid...

They are something that seems amazing at first, but that gets dumber and more childish the more you learn about them...

Finally culminating with them losing every single piece of cred they ever had because it turns out they are also weenies.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: December 12, 2016, 04:06:28 am »

It helps that the institute is stupid...

Considering the other factions, that's kind of par for the course.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: December 12, 2016, 04:17:39 am »

Hence why I side with the Institute. They're a bunch of pencil-necked, pocket protector, socks and sandals, egg-head weenies that a hardened wasteland survivor won't have any trouble cleaning up. Don't like my new policies? You just earned gorilla enclosure cleaning duty.

One thing I never got: what the hell is the deal with the Coursers? Wiki agrees that the info regarding them is conflicted about whether they're just exceptionally talented Gen 3 synths or a different model subtype designed specifically for their role. Honestly I just get the vibe that Bethesda slapped them in as a "LOL Bladerunner" reference and didn't care too much about continuity. Whatever the case, they seem fairly superior to the deeply flawed Gen 3 model, though Far Harbor proves even they can go rogue.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: December 12, 2016, 05:17:53 am »

Perhaps Australia becomes the new world power? I'm sure nobody would have bothered shooting any nukes there.

As I recall, towards the end of the Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series it was revealed that the reistance had a terminator operated nuclear submarine
that was used to ferry supplies over from Australia, where they still had farms or something I guess. Hehe. ;-)

But actually we have long had a bunch of bases here, because of the clear skies. There are enough nukes in the soviet arsenal to have hit all our main areas plus bases. No doubt.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 462