Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 832293 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6540 on: December 10, 2016, 03:03:57 am »

Survival is different in that it actually makes enemies significantly easier to kill (we're talking basically everyone dies in one or two hits generally). But you also die very easily.
BULL

FUCKING

SHIT

Maybe you're just playing an entirely different game then me, but my survival playthrough has basically been "Oh, you're in full power armor? Well I have an unmodded pipe pistol that is gonna absolutely wreck your shit in seconds.
Oh, you wanna kill me first with your fully upgraded combat rifle? Naw, unload the whole fuckin clip into my face, I'll laugh it off in my worthless rags."

I put in a mod to take it back to normal damage for all parties, but it seems to have fucked some shit up cuz now every save I make is corrupted.
GOD. FUCKING. DAMMIT.
I just want to have an immersive experience without dealing with endless bullshit, but apparently that just isn't something I'm allowed to do.
Oh yeah, power armor is basically useless in unmodded Survival, it makes you a bigger target and while it is much more protective than most armors you're also really open to getting shot and you can't run away as fast. Better to play it in full modfied ordinary armor because you can run away faster and sneak better without needing modification to the frame. Playing Survival is more like playing Far Cry than ordinary Fallout 4, you have to sneak around and scout out enemy locations instead of just barging in.

as for the weapon damage, invest in the perks that upgrade weapon damage to keep up with increasing enemy health. And even without them you never have to empty an ENTIRE CLIP OF A FULLY UPGRADED COMBAT RIFLE INTO A MEASLY RAIDER JUST TO HAVE THEM SCOFF AT IT (unless they are wearing a full set of sturdy/heavy raider armor). You're definitely overreacting, an unmodified pipe pistol is only dangerous in early game and by the time you start getting combat rifles, all of the raiders you encounter have upgraded variants (unless you are specifically exploring the areas around sanctuary) and the unmodified pipe pistol is usually about as dangerous as a pea-shooter. Unless you're for some reason not wearing any armor. Which you should.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: December 10, 2016, 03:14:39 am »

You also need to basically discard a lot of the fallout meta and embrace common sense.  Don't trade blows.  Use drugs.  Throw grenades.  Fight dirty.  Dying means losing, so overcome that by going full hardcore battle tactics.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: December 10, 2016, 03:34:30 am »

Also get a bullet-sponge companion. Danse is a good choice, or Ava. Any hits they take are hits you don't need to heal. And if they do go down, stimpacks are cheap and you're probably not using them as much for yourself anyhow.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: December 10, 2016, 05:50:06 am »

If you want power armor to be of more use in Survival, might I recommend this mod which makes it much tougher and more useful in survival.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: December 10, 2016, 01:55:13 pm »

I tried playing fallout 4 after a long while.
I've managed to get the thing running, but every time I start a new game?
It CTD and crashes my graphics driver to boot.

Aaaarghhh.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: December 10, 2016, 04:15:17 pm »

What card do you have? If the driver is crashing it could just be out of date. Or your card could lack the required tech FO4 is demanding.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: December 10, 2016, 09:26:55 pm »

Survival is supposed to be hard. You're supposed to die often and lose frequently. If that's not the style of play you like, you can always dial the difficulty back down.
No, survival is supposed to introduce having to eat, drink and sleep. It adds depth and immersion to the game, then shits all over you by making everything one shot you.
So I can't just dial the difficulty back without losing features of the game.
I don't know why Bethesda felt the need to tie the new systems to the hardest difficulty, presumably so they could pretend they didn't just rip off New Vegas.

You're definitely overreacting, an unmodified pipe pistol is only dangerous in early game and by the time you start getting combat rifles, all of the raiders you encounter have upgraded variants (unless you are specifically exploring the areas around sanctuary) and the unmodified pipe pistol is usually about as dangerous as a pea-shooter. Unless you're for some reason not wearing any armor. Which you should.
I'm wearing fucking maxed out armor. With Armorsmith Extended. So I have FOUR HUNDRED damage resistance. Without Power Armor.
And NO, PIPE RIFLES FUCKING SHRED ME. THEY SHRED ME FASTER THEN MY COMBAT RIFLE HURTS RAIDERS. THIS IS WHAT I AM COMPLAINING ABOUT, BUT I WOULDN'T HAVE TO IF BETHESDA HAD JUST BEEN SENSIBLE AND NOT TIED THE SHIT I WANT WITH LOL DARK SOULS WAS FOR LITTLE BABIES MODE.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: December 10, 2016, 09:31:15 pm »

The only thing survival mode introduces that even remotely functions correctly is a very abbreviated form of locational damage, specifically headshots inflicting realistic damage.  There is one tremendous problem with this, the AI almost always shoots at your head, so you die almost instantly to any form of incoming fire.  Upside, the same thing happens to them.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: December 10, 2016, 09:38:16 pm »

Maybe dial back the mods and see if something you've installed is conflicting with Survival mode. I found it initially challenging to adjust from normal mode where you simply walk towards the enemy through a hail of lead to shoot them point blank, to being a sneaking coward who desperately tries to win the first shot with sneak attack bonus. After awhile though, you learn that getting hit more than two or three times in a short amount of time can quickly earn you a game over. Instead of relying on armor to reduce the damage you take, it's about tactical positioning to avoid getting shot in the first place.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: December 10, 2016, 09:41:20 pm »

Let's be completely honest here, it's about getting VATS headshots before they can respond.  That is the single largest disappointment I have with survival mode, and there are an awful lot of things I'm disappointed in where SM is concerned.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: December 10, 2016, 09:45:41 pm »

Actually, I usually pull my Old Faithful with a medium night vision scope to deal double damage when full health, double damage sneak attack and headshot damage bonus from extreme engagement range. I aim manually through the scope though, since VATS accuracy is crap at long distance. One shot kill most unaware enemies that aren't bullet sponges like mirelurk queens or super mutant behemoths. VATS is reserved for my Righteous Authority at medium or close distance to charge my critical meter as fast as I can.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: December 10, 2016, 09:55:10 pm »

I Like that it is actually possible to be effective with long range rifles, I don't like that 'thesda is so bad at collision boxes that half the time your perfectly lined up headshot ends up being a body shot.  So VATS at mid-long is usually more effective.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: December 10, 2016, 10:01:22 pm »

Maybe dial back the mods
Jimmy, this is a Bethesda game. What you've just suggested is Heresy :P

Right now I'm more looking at if something is conflicting with the mod that makes survival easier, or if the save corruption just happened randomly or something stupid.

Please note that I UNDERSTAND how to play that difficulty level, I just HATE IT. I can see how it can be immersive and fun when you're in the mood for that style of play, but I like my Fallout hard and loud. I just happen to also want to manage basic needs as well, which Bethesda didn't account for.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: December 10, 2016, 10:09:43 pm »

I never really have any trouble lining up a decent headshot, though typically I'd spend a good ten to thirty seconds taking my time aiming. I don't bother trying to line up a headshot if I'm firing at a moving target, since it's typically going to miss half the time anyway. Better to just shoot them in the chest twice instead. The only real issue I have is that targets seem to have some supernatural ability to know exactly where to pause their movement cycle so some random junk map object is obscuring them from view.

As for mods, if you simply have to have your Batman vs. Darth Vader dubstep dance battle mod, I won't judge. Play the game your way, bro. Vanilla's for people with no imagination.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: December 10, 2016, 10:17:53 pm »

Unless I'm using an automatic weapon, every kill is a headshot, VATS up close, scoped or iron sights at range.  If there is one talent I have in FPS games it is my exceptional target acquisition and accuracy.  Bethesda however is effing terrible at FPSs, and their collision checks suck, the shot is clearly lined up over the damned raider's eye, the target does not move until it is hit, and the damage was still dealt as tho' it were striking the main body.  It's a bad FPS, it deserves to be abused into the ground because 'thesda is taking a classic role-playing game and turning it into CoD And they are doing it POORLY.

Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 462