Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 832331 times)

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6525 on: December 08, 2016, 10:18:40 pm »

I found a pipe gun with the explosive rounds enchantment effect, which turned out quite useful, indeed. I modified it into a light machine gun, and it is very efficient. The ammunition is cheap and easy to find, and it can rip most things apart in just a few bursts. It is handy when countering a charging enemy. Of course, I do have to stand still and be well aware of my surroundings when firing that weapon, particularly indoors. It is very easy to forget, strafe too close to a wall and get caught in the burst yourself.

It is a very nice back-up to my collection of Institute guns. I do not know if they are better than the ordinary ones, but I think the blue beams are pretty, and I really like the wwwWwWOB!-sound the energy weapons make.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: December 09, 2016, 03:29:48 am »

a two-shot lever action rifle from Far Harbor as a main and Righteous Authority as the backup (now renamed to Ol' Penny)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: December 09, 2016, 03:33:06 am »

I have an assault rifle with explosive rounds I found off a legendary dog.

It's quite literally the only weapon I need. Kills basically everything in one or two hits at my level 40 state. Even the super sentry bots from the Automatron DLC just die to it like flies. I have it set to semi-automatic. The explosive legendary trait is still as broken as ever. It feels like I'm walking around with a Space Marine bolter.

That and Ava walks around with me in full Sentry Bot gear, two explosive gatlings, and two fat man launchers.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: December 09, 2016, 03:37:00 am »

Exploding automatic weapons are pretty much broken. See: Automatic explosive pistols being viable late game even without putting a ton of XP into them.

Double-shot might be a bit stronger in some circumstances, though - I once did a playthrough where I found a double-shot guass rifle that iirc could do over 400 damage a shot.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: December 09, 2016, 03:41:07 am »

Yeah, in non-Survival the Overseer's Guardian is one of my favourites.

I gotta say the most fun legendary weapon is a Never Ending automatic. Sometimes it's just awesome to run around with a bullet-hose and empty your entire inventory of ammo in an orgy of violence.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: December 09, 2016, 03:47:29 am »

There is a legendary Fat Man in the game that can be modded on the weapon's bench to shoot 12 mini-nukes for the price of one. That one is pretty amusing.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: December 09, 2016, 04:20:48 am »

You really want a long, long, long distance between yourself and the target before you let that baby rip.

Although I did once try shooting a mirelurk queen with a mini-nuke, and I can honestly say I wasn't that impressed. Unless you invest into the explosives perks, it simply doesn't stack up at later stages of the game against the damage from your favoured weapon type. I did about the same at full perk training with a single clip of ammo on a combat rifle firing into the centre of mass of the target as I did with one mini-nuke and no perk investment.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: December 09, 2016, 04:26:07 am »

You really want a long, long, long distance between yourself and the target before you let that baby rip.

Although I did once try shooting a mirelurk queen with a mini-nuke, and I can honestly say I wasn't that impressed. Unless you invest into the explosives perks, it simply doesn't stack up at later stages of the game against the damage from your favoured weapon type. I did about the same at full perk training with a single clip of ammo on a combat rifle firing into the centre of mass of the target as I did with one mini-nuke and no perk investment.
There is another nuke in the game that you can't get normally except through console.

However, you can use the Artillery Enhancement mod to make it so your Minuteman artillery shoots those nukes instead of the wimpy artillery rounds they normally shoot.

It's... um... it's quite massive.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: December 09, 2016, 04:42:06 am »

I found a pipe gun with the explosive rounds enchantment effect, which turned out quite useful, indeed. I modified it into a light machine gun, and it is very efficient. The ammunition is cheap and easy to find, and it can rip most things apart in just a few bursts. It is handy when countering a charging enemy. Of course, I do have to stand still and be well aware of my surroundings when firing that weapon, particularly indoors. It is very easy to forget, strafe too close to a wall and get caught in the burst yourself.

It is a very nice back-up to my collection of Institute guns. I do not know if they are better than the ordinary ones, but I think the blue beams are pretty, and I really like the wwwWwWOB!-sound the energy weapons make.

As far as I remember Institute weapons do less damage than lasers but are... lighter, maybe, with larger magazines? I don't recall very well, because I always thought they were worse than conventional lasers.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: December 09, 2016, 04:46:42 am »

They do less damage but make up for it by having a faster ROF. Also according to the wiki apparently the ordinary laser guns can actually do more damage per second when fully upgraded.

Honestly I prefer the look of Institute weapons over the lasers but they take up so much of the screen they make the game virtually unplayable for me without the mod that makes them smaller.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: December 09, 2016, 08:43:23 am »

Yeah. I prefer the sleek look of the institute weapons instead of the boxy look of the laser weapons. I don't really care for damage, as I carry enough heavy hitters that one 'for fun' weapon is good enough :P

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: December 09, 2016, 08:31:16 pm »

Survival is different in that it actually makes enemies significantly easier to kill (we're talking basically everyone dies in one or two hits generally). But you also die very easily.
BULL

FUCKING

SHIT

Maybe you're just playing an entirely different game then me, but my survival playthrough has basically been "Oh, you're in full power armor? Well I have an unmodded pipe pistol that is gonna absolutely wreck your shit in seconds.
Oh, you wanna kill me first with your fully upgraded combat rifle? Naw, unload the whole fuckin clip into my face, I'll laugh it off in my worthless rags."

I put in a mod to take it back to normal damage for all parties, but it seems to have fucked some shit up cuz now every save I make is corrupted.
GOD. FUCKING. DAMMIT.
I just want to have an immersive experience without dealing with endless bullshit, but apparently that just isn't something I'm allowed to do.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: December 09, 2016, 09:00:25 pm »

You do realize I'm not the only one who plays survival on here right? Everyone else knows that's how survival works.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: December 09, 2016, 09:50:00 pm »

Wasn't trying to single you out. Just saying that while it isn't quite the level of the other hard difficulty levels, it isn't FAIR either. From what I've seen it doesn't make enemies any tougher then normal, but it doesn't nerf them anywhere near as hard as it does you.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: December 10, 2016, 02:20:14 am »

The solution is simple: Don't get shot.

Survival is supposed to be hard. You're supposed to die often and lose frequently. If that's not the style of play you like, you can always dial the difficulty back down.

Don't forget that building an adrenaline streak is a big part of survival mode. You get a stacking bonus to your damage the more enemies you kill in a short time, and it wears off over time and with rest. If you're not doing big damage it's probably because you're not packing enough adrenaline.

Also, I seriously suggest using some chems. Even without any perk investments, they're a great way to get a big boost to your damage output and survivability. A hit of Buffout and Psycho will do wonders to boost your damage and hit points, and follow it up with some Jet to go bullet-time on those raider scum. Addictions are easily cured at a wasteland doc, or just brew up a Refreshing Beverage at a chem station.
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 462