Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831989 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6390 on: October 03, 2016, 03:00:11 pm »

Aaah. Well, honestly survival mode plus FROST sounds like a fair deal, even if the later versions get too big. Just having the assurance that a big mod will be there waiting will be fun :3

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: October 19, 2016, 05:32:48 am »

Survival Mode Time!

Background: I played Fallout 4 soon after it came out, beating the main quest line on normal mode to experience the story. Then I went back and restarted on Survival difficulty and explored, eventually getting bored wandering around in X-01 power armour one-shotting Deathclaws whilst ticking off quests like they're a to-do list. I put it down and walked away, leaving the icon on my desktop buried under an endless series of newer shinies.

Cue coming back to discover Survival mode has had a revamp and a significant increase in difficulty. So, time to tuck in and try it out!

My Lone Wanderer is a female Chinese American named Pei Ling, a smart, independent woman who refuses to let the wasteland consume her. Her core beliefs are that society requires rule of law to function, that rule of law requires threat of force to be effective, and that sacrifice for the greater good is a necessary evil.

Her SPECIAL starting stats are 4/4/4/3/6/4/3. She's smart enough to have earned herself a major in law and a minor in bioscience, but her racial background left her an outcast in a country where anyone with an Asian face is branded a communist. She's an unashamed geek at heart, and buying her very own Mr Handy robot comes in right behind graduating university, getting married and having a child as one of the highlights of her life.

That's enough character background, now it's time to kill stuff!

Run to Vault, get frozen, watch Kellogg do nasty stuff, get unfrozen, squash some Radroaches with a security baton and I'm out!

First stop: Home. I get lucky even with a 3 Charisma and nail the check with Codsworth to find out he's a depressed kitchen appliance. I let him do his thing clearing Sanctuary of pests, then loot them for meat and activate the workshop. I clean out Sanctuary of trash, read a kid's book and become more Intelligent somehow. I squeak in Level 2 by constructing the basics of a bed and water pump, decide I'm gonna need to defend myself if I'm going to have any chance surviving in the new Commonwealth, and pick up Gun Nut 1.

I upgrade my 10mm pistol and a pipe rifle, but now I'm low on materials, especially adhesive. Time to go explore!

I go south, getting a mild dose of radiation and spending a few bullets to earn myself some Bloodbug probosces and an army helmet. I stop at the Ranger Cabin to catch a short nap and cook up some fresh Bloatfly chow, then face my first true challenge: a camp to the west containing four raiders and their attack dog.

I quickly learn the difference between the old Survival version and the new one. Trying to charge up and explode their heads in VATS at point blank range just doesn't cut it. I'm a weak, frail human being that dies if you shoot them with bullets instead of making mildly constipated grunting noises. Molotov cocktails are weapons of instant, burning death. If I want to live longer than a few seconds in combat I'm going to need to drastically change my playstyle.

In previous versions I typically went with a Commando focused build that walks around spraying anything red with a bullet hose. Today, I do something I have rarely if ever done before: I actually try to aim my gun.

Squinting down the basic sights of my 10mm, I see the faintest silhouette of a raider up by the ridgeline. I track him, wait for him to stop moving, and gently squeeze the trigger.

Cha-ching! I'm not the only one who's mortal, b&+@#es!

A short game of shoot-and-scoot later and I'm looting their bloody corpses, happy to discover a full set of leather armour amongst the gore. I wipe off the entrails and suit up, feeling like a kid on Christmas Day. I cook and eat their dog in celebration.

By now I'm hauling about as much as I can handle, so I swing back home and drop off everything but the essentials. I've hit level 3, investing into Armorer to pimp out my new leathers, rest up and go for a short hunting trip to bag me some Radstag and use their hide to upgrade my equipment. I'm a regular Bear Grylls, yo.

Next on the list is the inevitable trip southeast to Red Rocket Truck Stop. You're a mutt, Dogmeat, but I'll take you and get you to drag my crap around until I recruit someone—anyone—better.

Something strange happens, or rather fails to happen. I don't get ambushed by mole rats. Paranoid and slightly disappointed that my dinner plans are spoiled, I go pillage their rear hole instead. Inside, aside from the standard fusion core from the mole rat den, I score one more nice find: a glow sighted hair trigger pipe rifle with a large magazine and marksman's stock. I swap out the hair trigger for my own pipe rifle's powerful receiver, slap a long ported barrel on it with the last of my adhesive back at the workstation, and retire my 10mm since I've used all but about two clips worth of the 150 rounds of ammo I started with.

A long rest and a breakfast of day-old reheated molerat and I'm off to clear around my second base. I clip the Bloodbugs off a Brahmin corpse to practice getting my sights on my new weapon and then swing north, grabbing a .44 handcannon and a whopping 5 rounds of ammo for it. My security baton gets some action bashing in a few Molerat skulls, then I sneak up on a small camp of raiders and get Dirty Harry and his five friends out. I've got a full crit meter and I figure there's no better way to get this party started.

It's loud, messy and gloriously overkill. I'm pretty sure there's too many eyeballs in that red goop on the ground, but I figure the raider must have had some spares. Their junk goes on Dogmeat, their ammo goes in my pack and their dog goes in my belly. Take-out, wasteland style.

I dump the .44 since it's a paperweight without more ammo, then stop for a short rest in an abandoned house close enough to Concord to enjoy the aroma of rotting Brahmin. I then inch into Concord proper to sniff around. Smells like Preston; I think I prefer the Brahmin. My pipe rifle clears the front of the museum, but I skip going inside because, meh, I'm sure they'll be fine.

I do a few hauls of loot back to Red Rocket, clearing most of Concord and the sub-areas besides the underground tunnels. Behind the museum there's a campsite where I spot a Yao Guai feasting on the remains of a pair of scavengers. I hum the Circle of Life from the Lion King as I snipe it from a nearby building, cook it and eat it.

Finally I sigh, roll my eyes and shrug my shoulders, dumping all but the essentials in preparation for a trip to the museum. Headshots for the two on the upper balcony, a half dozen in the chest of the one that charges me with a pool cue while the museum exhibit natters on about lobster-backed jackanapes. I've lucked into a pair of frag grenades during my looting spree of Concord which make short work of the two raiders in the mural room and the pair outside the door to Preston. I endure his exposition and present the fusion core I liberated earlier. Now comes the tricky bit.

Up to the roof and I inch forward in my ever-so-stealthy T-45 suit. I stash the minigun in favour of drawing my old reliable pipe rifle, nailing the raider across the street with a sneak attack to the face. There's no way in hell I'm going down to street level, power armour or not. Instead I cower like a frightened little girl behind the wall, popping up every second to take another shot at the raider lemmings. Finally the main event arrives, finishes off the remainder of the mooks and realises it can't fly. The Deathclaw tries to dodge, weave and make disparaging remarks about my parentage, but I just calmly give it a few hundred new .38 sized orifices until it dies.

Then I cook and eat it.

By now I'm level 10, picking up Gun Nut, Armorer, Chemist, Locksmith, Hacker, Rifleman, Sneak, Science! and Rifleman 2. I walk Preston and his posse back to Sanctuary, sort them out for glue production and scavenging, then get Tenpines Bluff from Preston marked on my map. I park my T-45 at Sanctuary for now, since I've only scavenged one and a half power cores for it and don't want to blow them on walking my ass halfway across the map. I make a few extra trips back to Concord and loot the place bare, raider corpses included.

This seems like a good point to break the narrative, and I'll conclude by saying that the difference the new Survival mode makes to my playstyle is really fun. I've continued this game further than I've written, with lots of funny emergent stories coming out of my adventures. Hopefully I'll get the chance to write them down too, but for now I'm having a blast taking the scenic route and cursing my stupidity when I get my ass handed to me as punishment.

Dirtcopter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: October 19, 2016, 01:32:20 pm »

(Snip)

That's a great write-up. I always wanted to try Survival Mode, but it's save system turned me off of it. I loved New Vegas's hardcore mode with jsawyer.esp, but I also like being able to quit when I want without losing up to half an hour of progress. Not to mention the risk of getting killed instantly by mines, mini nukes or just getting stuck in the ground and losing progress that way. I wish they made that part optional.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: October 19, 2016, 05:08:35 pm »

I found that even on Very Hard, the difficulty of the game goes up enough that you can find situations where the best thing to do is not fight or where you have to prioritize which groups of enemies you engage. The enemies don't level up quite as fast as you, though, so even when you start seeing deathclaws and minigun or mininuke supermutants everywhere, you can usually deal with them. Powerarmor also messes up the game balance; if there was a mod to balance power armor a bit more (better movement/stealth when not using it, higher costs for using it, higher crafting costs, etc), I'd be happy.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: October 20, 2016, 12:36:05 am »

I'm not sure if it's a bug with my system or a feature of the game, but every time I quit to desktop from my Survival mode game it saves my progress temporarily. Works even if I'm fifteen minutes away from the last place I slept, and choosing to continue at a later stage loads from that point. The save itself can't be loaded again however, since it autodeletes. That means if I die, I end up losing progress and wind up back at my last sleep location. Still, it means I can put the game down at any time and pick up where I left off so long as I don't die.

If you're having trouble with mines, the Sneak perk makes you immune with enough points invested into it. If something's shooting mini-nukes at you, you deserve what you get. Enemies only get a limited amount of ammo for them anyhow, so do your best to dodge it. If you're clipping through the floor, console command for PC is your friend. Toggle 'tcl' and you can walk out of any glitchy locations.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:40:16 am by Jimmy »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: October 20, 2016, 12:57:25 am »

I found that even on Very Hard, the difficulty of the game goes up enough that you can find situations where the best thing to do is not fight or where you have to prioritize which groups of enemies you engage. The enemies don't level up quite as fast as you, though, so even when you start seeing deathclaws and minigun or mininuke supermutants everywhere, you can usually deal with them. Powerarmor also messes up the game balance; if there was a mod to balance power armor a bit more (better movement/stealth when not using it, higher costs for using it, higher crafting costs, etc), I'd be happy.

Power Armor cannot be balanced period. It is set up to be the game breaker.

Because all encounters are balanced as if you were out of power armor.

Likewise if you were truly slower in power armor then some encounters would likewise become MUCH harder due to the game's... other balance issues.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: October 20, 2016, 01:10:18 am »

I beg to differ, i dont know WTF i did, but even in when im not in power armor i get my ass handed to me hard time ( using weaponsmith extended i think? ). Most of the time i get raider with armor piercing shots or i dont really know wtf they are using against me but i get one shotted in what would be oped armor in fallout 4 normal. When im in power armor, i can clear a single raider outpost then go back to my *home* and repair it because about everything is either destroyed and in the red. Im a good FPS player, maybe not ESPORT caliber but yeah, i know what im doing and im far from that noob guy, i headshot them but if i dont take cover im a dead man, and even then, sometime i just poke my head out and its over in less than 3 seconds.

But sadly, my game reached a critical point where i crash to often to be enjoyable. But yeah, look like i really did hit the jackpot there, oh and im level 50, yup raider are a dangerous pack, better scout, see who has what as weapon and priorize your target. Hell even ghouls take bout 15% of my HP per hit WHILE im in power armor! ghouls!

But seriously if you want fun, use that survival setting mod, allows you to balance the game to your liking. Like bullet sponge enemy? crank your damage up, want more challenge, crank ENEMIES damage. Anyway i used it because the save setting was shit, as a father sometime i need to close the game soon, or get distracted at the wrong time and well, fall back to the last time i slept? no thank you.

linky : http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14650/?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: October 20, 2016, 01:11:53 am »

I beg to differ, i dont know WTF i did, but even in when im not in power armor i get my ass handed to me hard time

Because you went off the beaten path. The game attempts to railroad you a lot more then the entire series. (basically easy - hard is... Left to right, Top to bottom)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: October 20, 2016, 02:03:31 am »

New Vegas had a bit of railroadiness to it at times as well. I can't remember what they were called, but those fucking flying wasp things. If I recall I remember hearing that they were used as a sort of "soft barrier."
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: October 20, 2016, 02:07:07 am »

New Vegas had a bit of railroadiness to it at times as well. I can't remember what they were called, but those fucking flying wasp things. If I recall I remember hearing that they were used as a sort of "soft barrier."

The absolute start of New Vegas was railroaded.

After a few levels and loot it opens up almost completely.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: October 20, 2016, 02:12:09 am »

The absolute start? I'll admit that it was a pretty long game, but you were pretty railroaded until you hit New Vegas proper which was quite a long journey (along with several places you needed to stop into along the way.)

If you tried to stray too far from the path you'd run into those insanely powerful wasp/hornet things, which would destroy you.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: October 20, 2016, 02:13:31 am »

The absolute start? I'll admit that it was a pretty long game, but you were pretty railroaded until you hit New Vegas proper which was quite a long journey (along with several places you needed to stop into along the way.)

If you tried to stray too far from the path you'd run into those insanely powerful wasp/hornet things, which would destroy you.

You really never had to go to New Vegas it was just a really good idea to (due to... metagaming reasons...)

Though to admit if you don't do side quest stuff it certainly will feel like your railroaded there.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: October 20, 2016, 02:36:25 am »

It's perfectly possible to go straight north at the start and get past the cazadores and deathclaws. If you can kill the special raiders on the way as well you can get some really good stuff. Love and hate unique spiked knuckles make a lot of things a cakewalk even without speccing for unarmed.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: October 20, 2016, 02:38:03 am »

I dunno, I felt Fallout New Vegas was far more linear than Fallout 3 and 4 are. I personally liked Fallout 3 a lot more than NV. But I play Bethesda games for the world and mods, not so much the story. People who prefer story are probably why NV is a lot more popular.

Fallout 3 and 4 have a much more open world, and you can go pretty much anywhere to a degree. But there aren't many cliffs (so many cliffs and linear pathways in NV that you have to go around) and you can go to one end of the map to the other and still do fine. Except at least in Fallout 4, there are dangerous areas obviously, more than Fallout 3. But it still feels far more open than NV did, in terms of the world design.

With that said, Fallout New Vegas has DUST. Best mod for F:NV. Totally makes it playable for me. But now Fallout 4 has FROST, so now I'm playing that.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: October 20, 2016, 02:47:37 am »

The only reason Fallout 4 feels less linear is because you can break the game over your knee so their railroading is ineffectual.
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 462