Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831894 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6315 on: September 12, 2016, 08:17:24 pm »

That's what I'm sayin' man, the NCR HAD power armor.  Completely functional, intact power armor.  They pulled out the very bits that made it POWERED ARMOR.  The brave NCR elite soldiers have to heft around the dead weight.

HMM SYMBOLISM

ncr still best republic tho
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: September 12, 2016, 08:21:16 pm »

Pretty sure there was a New Vegas mod that made Ranger-styled power armour.

Basically regular power armour with a duster over it, IIRC.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: September 12, 2016, 08:31:27 pm »

I honestly just want slightly bigger NCR Desert Ranger gear to be power armor. Like, so it's bigger. And with news of Obsidian making a new Fallout...
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: September 12, 2016, 08:45:37 pm »

I honestly just want slightly bigger NCR Desert Ranger gear to be power armor. Like, so it's bigger. And with news of Obsidian making a new Fallout...

Wait what? Aren't they already working on like four different things right now?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: September 12, 2016, 10:22:18 pm »

Wait what? Aren't they already working on like four different things right now?
The closest I ever heard was the quickly-discredited rumour that they were working on Fallout: New Orleans. I haven't heard anything else, but it's perfectly possible Koss heard something I didn't since I haven't been following the latest news.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: September 12, 2016, 10:39:02 pm »

I haven't seen the rest of this review yet (and keep in mind I loved Fallout 3, nearly as much as NV, both much more than 4) but this particular part made me lol and nod:
https://youtu.be/mLJ1gyIzg78?t=321

NV humanized them a little more, but really... that's a great example of how 3 and NV (and 4, I GUESS) told stories with the placement of physics objects.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: September 13, 2016, 01:18:54 am »

did you know: the T-51 is canonically the last power armor line to have been made before the war

did you know: the T-60 is canonically the last power armor line to have been made before the war (as of fallout 4)

did you know: at least one X-01 suit was created before the end of the war, despite having been invented by the Enclave (as of Nuka World)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: September 13, 2016, 01:59:52 am »

did you know: Bethesda has no capacity to keep a storyline coherent due to their over-reliance on the 'unreliable narrator' trope

did you know: Bethesda is incapable of even holding their writers on a single game to the script and setting bible

did you know: Bethesda is completely unwilling to even try to make their Fallout series (now one of their flagship franchises) internally consistent
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: September 13, 2016, 02:06:52 am »

did you know: Bethesda has no capacity to keep a storyline coherent due to their over-reliance on the 'unreliable narrator' trope

did you know: Bethesda is incapable of even holding their writers on a single game to the script and setting bible

did you know: Bethesda is completely unwilling to even try to make their Fallout series (now one of their flagship franchises) internally consistent

Did you know Bethesda aren't even competent story tellers as it is?

I mean... glad if you (you can be anyone) like their plotlines but yeah... They are bad at it.

Like REALLY bad at it... near incompetent at times... Skyrim is a huge example of this...

Makes me really wonder if Morrowind and earlier was as good as people was... and if it was, what happened since then?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:10:40 am by Neonivek »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: September 13, 2016, 02:20:51 am »

Obsidian are great. I like their games? Have I mentioned that I like Obsidian? Because they're great.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6325 on: September 13, 2016, 02:22:04 am »

Obsidian are great. I like their games? Have I mentioned that I like Obsidian? Because they're great.

Am I mixing up companies?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: September 13, 2016, 02:25:20 am »

You tend to do that, but how am I supposed to tell what you're thinking right now?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: September 13, 2016, 02:26:43 am »

Michael Kirkbride is the guy responsible for most of the lore of the Elder Scrolls, but he stopped working with Bethesda at some point during Morrowind's production and only contributed a few books to Oblivion.

Several other key members of the team jumped ship during or after Oblivion's development, as well.

It's not exactly proven, but the people who care about this sort of thing are convinced that Kirkbride was basically the only person who was able to write anything decent for Bethesda that they'd actually use, since when he left, everything about Bethesda's storytelling went to shit.
Nothing important here, move along.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: September 13, 2016, 02:29:24 am »

Ahh thank you that explains it.

It makes no sense for the quality of their writing to dip to the bottom barrel levels it has now hit without something happening.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: September 13, 2016, 02:31:14 am »

The biggest design things I can really think of that color things...

Morrowind's world is hugely based off of Michael Kirkbride's version of it laid out in what is essential the series bible, the Pocket Guide to the Empire Volume 1, and Ken Rolston was lead designer (and AFAIK had a huge writing role too).

Oblivion's world basically ignores Michael Kirkbride's version of it (a lush jungle etc.), and Ken Rolston was a lead designer (also still huge writer AFAIK).

Skyrim's world is almost entirely based off of Michael Kirkbride's version of it, and Emil Pagliarulo was the lead writer.

Fallout 3 and 4 both basically ignore the series bible (Chris Avellone's Fallout Bible) (or at least its tone) and both had Emil Pagliarulo as lead writer.

Fallout New Vegas heavily uses the series bible and had the writer of the series bible as a senior designer (and writer of Dead Money and Old World Blues).

These are the biggest factors when it comes to writing that I can think of. Make of them what you will.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:36:46 am by Putnam »
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 462