Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831778 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6285 on: September 12, 2016, 02:40:50 pm »

...Nnnooo, I don't see how eliminating the thing that makes them actually limited could 'fix it'. I also don't think it needed fixing. At all.
Arguably I would say the only minor fixes I could ask for would be easier ways to paint it and power armor frames not becoming magically unusable when the owner dies.
Black lives matter.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: September 12, 2016, 03:11:37 pm »

...Nnnooo, I don't see how eliminating the thing that makes them actually limited could 'fix it'. I also don't think it needed fixing. At all.

Well Power Armor is broken.

It is broken because the entire game is balanced towards you never using power armor (or at LEAST having the option to not use it). While the armor itself is extremely powerful... at least 10 times more powerful than you are (That is lowballing it... Given that with the right build you can be near outright invincible)... So everything is 10 times weaker. They do this even in the last sections when you will undoubtingly have enough cores to stay in power armor indefinitely.

You could easily about 1/4th through the game get such a core roll that you will never run out. Even earlier if you know what you are doing or get the trait that makes cores last longer.

IF power armor didn't have limited power cells (that weren't limited at all), THEN you could balance the game (at least the part where they come into play) for power armor.

---

Either that or they can do the unfathomable and make Power Armor non-optimal.

Yet I have a feeling they would rather die then make power armor not the uberleet choice.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 03:13:49 pm by Neonivek »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6287 on: September 12, 2016, 03:13:34 pm »

I don't know what game you played but in my playthrough I used my power armor for literally every major mission and still had over 150 fusion cells at the end. I'm not sure it's as limited as you think.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: September 12, 2016, 03:15:44 pm »

I don't know what game you played but in my playthrough I used my power armor for literally every major mission and still had over 150 fusion cells at the end. I'm not sure it's as limited as you think.

It isn't limited at all... It is still treated, developmentally, as if it was.

So all encounters in the game are created as if you had no power armor sans perhaps 3.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6289 on: September 12, 2016, 03:17:40 pm »

It is still treated, developmentally, as if it was.

So all encounters in the game are created as if you had no power armor sans perhaps 3.
What are you basing this on?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: September 12, 2016, 03:24:16 pm »

The fact that every encounter is perfectly doable without power armor and comfortably without exploits. With only about three encounters in the game being a big deal without it (The first Deathclaw fight, Salem, and Gamma guns...)

Heck I... Intentionally played without power armor for the VAST majority of the game.

In power armor? Cake walk... I essentially bent the game over my knee and spanked it.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: September 12, 2016, 03:27:15 pm »

Honestly, I've never seen fallout on a casual level to be more than a fun game to be a badass in. If I want to have fallout be hard, I'd play hardcore mode with a few mods to make it harder and balance it that way. If you want a hard fallout game, it shouldn't be that hard to make it hard. Survival mode + some of the mods to make the game harder = a hard game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: September 12, 2016, 03:27:59 pm »

Honestly, I've never seen fallout on a casual level to be more than a fun game to be a badass in. If I want to have fallout be hard, I'd play hardcore mode with a few mods to make it harder and balance it that way. If you want a hard fallout game, it shouldn't be that hard to make it hard. Survival mode + some of the mods to make the game harder = a hard game.

There is kind of a league of difference between what I am talking about... And being genuinely hard.

What is with this "If you don't want the game to be blissfully easy, you must want it to be blisteringly hard"?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: September 12, 2016, 03:36:25 pm »

Because most people who complain about things being too easy with games nowadays praise dark souls for its massive difficulty?

Not being rude when I say all this, by the way. Sorry if I come off as a dick.

EDIT: I might have made a stupid sentence there.

What I mean, is that in my experience reading people's thoughts on games being easy, most bring up dark souls as a shining example of a game that doesn't pull punches. Which is fine. I don't like it myself, but whatever. Point is, is that my first assumption when people complain about difficulty is that when they want the game to be harder than it is by default is to find a way to make it harder. I was not saying blisteringly hard was an option. If I sounded like that in my previous post, I did not mean that to be implied. I simply wanted to say I make the game harder if I wanna play a harder game.

Power armor being how it is honestly doesn't matter to me because I probably won't end up using power armor. I've never liked the look of it. Never felt sleek enough to look fun without going full sci-fi space gun mode. Only criticism would be is that fusion cores are a bit too common from what videos I've seen. Besides that, I see no problem. Maybe the problem isn't the game. Maybe it's just the perception of difficulty you/others have.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 03:45:17 pm by Iceblaster »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: September 12, 2016, 03:37:38 pm »

Yeah Neo has a point.  Though really, Bethesda games haven't ever been good about being outright challenging.  They're usually just as hard as you make them, by avoiding the clearly optimal options.

I didn't really use power armor much outside the glowing sea and other "appropriate" situations though.  It was awkward to keep track of and felt out of character for my PC.  It also didn't seem to help that much though (even the Glowing Sea radiation, that was disappointing).  Possibly because I didn't put any points in armorer (suboptimal, but I didn't want my character to be an armorer).  I was also focusing on single-shot rifles, so maybe I took less hits than typical.

Is it me or were single-shot rifles just the best?  They give you the best accuracy obviously, best range, really good and accurate at mid-range too, and then they're the best at short range too because they included shotguns (haha)
I guess energy weapons were about as good (5-crank sniper musket, uh... 5-crank shotgun musket...) but automatic weapons just seemed baaad.  Bad AND a waste of bullets.

Edit:  Oh except I got an automatic rifle with exploding rounds once, and that was better automatic I think.  Since I guess the bonus damage was per bullet and the shit accuracy didn't matter so much.  Also bullets are as plentiful as stimpacks so meh
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 03:40:04 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: September 12, 2016, 03:41:30 pm »

Automatic weapons really weren't worthwhile, no.
They could have been fine if they weren't actively weakened per shot by being automatic.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: September 12, 2016, 03:53:30 pm »

There were good machine guns but you had to get something on them to make them better than single shot.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: September 12, 2016, 04:08:17 pm »

Exploding anything just minces anyone within range. Especially exploding shotguns. :D
Black lives matter.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: September 12, 2016, 04:14:34 pm »

Exploding miniguns might be my favorite weapon in the game (not that I've found one; I generally have to settle for explosive pistols). Or a double-shot gauss gun (which I really did find).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6299 on: September 12, 2016, 04:33:12 pm »

The fact that every encounter is perfectly doable without power armor and comfortably without exploits. With only about three encounters in the game being a big deal without it (The first Deathclaw fight, Salem, and Gamma guns...)

Heck I... Intentionally played without power armor for the VAST majority of the game.

In power armor? Cake walk... I essentially bent the game over my knee and spanked it.
Fair enough. I didn't have the same experience but maybe I was running into harder challenges earlier. Or maybe I'm just bad at the game. I got my power armor shot up quite a bit and it wasn't anything like a cake walk.
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 462