Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830942 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #5925 on: April 25, 2016, 05:59:12 am »

I think it disables mods, but with some fuckery you can get them to work anyway.
Black lives matter.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: April 25, 2016, 06:11:10 am »

Well I did manage to get a mod that disables the save thing working before, but my other mods didn't work, so I'm pretty curious about this fuckery and where I can get some of it.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: April 25, 2016, 06:36:28 am »

Here is an explanation of the method.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11479/?

EDIT: but apparently the latest version of Nexus Mod Manager should detect if you are using the beta automatically and make the mods work properly.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:38:19 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: April 25, 2016, 06:50:05 am »

Download is finishing in 45 minutes!

Here is the load out I'm going with. Hope it all works OK.
Obviously I will be playing with the beta branch survival mode. I'll probably even make it an iron man run.

1. Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4598/?
2. Difficulty and Realism Overhaul - balances damage perks, nerfs bullet sponges and that kind of wierd stuff etc. - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5195/?
3. Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR) - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6091/?
4. Armorsmith Extended - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2228/?
5. Loot Overhaul - reduces the amount of loot in the world, and how much food you can get from farming - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1486/?
6. Spring Cleaning - lets you clean up junk around your settlements - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4640/?
7. True storms - better weather basically, looks cool - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4472/?

Thats it. I'm going for a brutal but well balanced experience, where I have to really struggle to get by. Number #2 and Number #5 combined with survival mode, should be a good challenge I'm hoping.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: April 25, 2016, 07:34:07 am »

Looks like what I might go for in my next play through, however I'm considering adding darker nights and true storms .
Also it's far too easy to make a Crapton of caps with purified water, so I'm on the lookout for a mod that'll make pumps produce dirty water, reduce the sale value and production of water, maybe make purifiers more expensive, require a fusion core or something, maybe limit it to one purifier per settlement?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: April 25, 2016, 07:52:10 am »

The Loot Overhaul mod also nerfs the amount of purified water you can generate.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: April 25, 2016, 02:48:00 pm »

Deathclaws become much less intimidating when they wander around your settlements like giant guard dogs. Got five of them helping my robot army protect the Castle at the moment.

I'm tempted to make a few settlements into wildlife sanctuaries. Maybe turn Hangman's Alley into a ghoul nest or something.

Amusingly the first Chameleon Deathclaw I've seen was one of my Castle pets.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 02:49:42 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: April 25, 2016, 02:55:09 pm »

Deathclaws become much less intimidating when they wander around your settlements like giant guard dogs.

Well maybe you should get a mod which MIGHT rectify that.
(Just be sure to download the extra file which removes the "godzilla" roars, because they are quite distinguishable.)
Also, I am pretty sure there is a mod which makes them physically tougher and hurt you more.. I just forgot which one it is.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: April 25, 2016, 07:31:49 pm »

It's a lot of things.

What you collect isn't just a set of static numbers that lack any and all surprise.

What is out there constantly breaks form.

Your adventuring is mostly self-guided instead of waypoints, quests in your quest log and so forth.

And yes, the challenge. Stuff is intimidating and difficult but it's beatable if you pay attention.
I confess I don't know what you mean by things breaking forms.

Turned into a wall of text, so I'm going to spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TLDR: I feel a game like Dark Souls is closer to older games of the 80s and 90s in terms of how hand-crafted most elements of the game are, and how it's willing to try varied things rather than always sticking to the same format. Versus a game like Fallout which is very much of the modern era and has a form and a format it sticks to that structures most if not all of gameplay. Sorry for all the blah blah but the whole idea of "breaking form" is one that's constantly on my mind as I play games these days. When I get into a fantasy and see Fire Ice and Lightning as my magic choices I just grown inwardly, loudly.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:51:12 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: April 26, 2016, 09:15:37 am »

Here is an explanation of the method.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11479/?

EDIT: but apparently the latest version of Nexus Mod Manager should detect if you are using the beta automatically and make the mods work properly.
Well it sure didn't do that for me. Back to not using survival because Bethesda without modding is worthless.

EDIT: nvm, got it to work. WOOOOO
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:34:27 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: April 27, 2016, 05:43:58 am »

I'm low on time so can't make a bigger post, thus am just reposting this: CK get
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: April 28, 2016, 12:01:10 am »

I -think- my game mods might not be working, but I'm not even sure because I can't seem to check in game... Says I need a code of some kind.

Maybe I'll end up restarting at some point with more modding, but so far I'm not too disappointed with the survival mode.

EDIT: Yup, they weren't on. OK, so I've updated NMM and now all the mods are working. Just deleted my saves. Buckle up kids, we are starting again! I'm going to try and see how doable Iron Man is now that I have a basic understanding of the game geography and crafting system. The biggest problem is a random run in with mercs etc., or landmines/grenades.

General Thoughts... (I'm going to focus on what I like, and skip any minor gripes).

1. Environment. Wow. They really lifted their game. You can see a whole lot of effort has gone into modelling interesting objects and into world design. Seems like a few dozen types of vehicles, and then many variations of each with different levels of damage, paint variation etc.

2. Open world. Feels much more open than fallout 3, especially in the urban areas. Makes it feel more like a Skyrim experience, which is a good thing. It didn't really sink in until I got to diamond city, but by then I was legitimately impressed with what they had done.

3. Crafting. I'm liking it. Especially compared with crafting in the Witcher III, which really felt tacked on. For one, in F4 it makes excellent lore sense. You are living in a world full of junk, so it makes sense that you are going to be hand crafting weapons and armor to try and get an edge. Having a huge range of junk objects which can be broken down into component pieces also makes the environment much more interesting. An abandoned house full of junk is now a place where you can scavenge for some of those screws you need so badly.

4. Diamond city. Well done Bethesda. Really a step up from anything in F3. It actually feels like a proper little settlement. Sure it isn't huge, but it's not broken up into pieces either, which was a problem in New Vegas. Feels just right, and the surrounding urban area really compliments it nicely.

5. NPC dialogue. Seems much more fluid mechanics wise. They really re-worked this. The game world doesn't pause , and you can even walk away mid conversation. Dialogue now feels more integrated into the world, even if the contents of that dialogue isn't great. Still, I think the quality of the voice acting has seen an improvement in general, if you can get around some anachronisms where they haven't thought too much about why somebody would have, say, an immigrant Russian accent etc.

6. Storage. Love that you can loot directly without going into a window. Really neat.

7. Survival mode. A step in the right direction. Given time, I'm fairly sure you want to rely on mods to get a good experience if you are more serious about gameplay. But with a mode like this incorporated into the game properly you have an alternative experience to just a harder difficulty level. This is what we need right from the start.

So all around, I'm really impressed. It took a while to get to this point. I was still on the fence after 12 hours playing, but 24 hours down and I'm really feeling it. It has its failings, and yet again its up to modders to really make it a great game, but the foundational world is there, and a lot of base mechanics are really nicely polished.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:58:55 am by Yolan »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: April 28, 2016, 06:12:06 am »

The biggest problem is a random run in with mercs etc., or landmines/grenades.
You have NO fucking idea.
First time I tried survival with the stupid bed save thing I was trapped in Goodneighbor. Tried to make a beeline for the easier northern regions, but ON THE GODDAMN BRIDGE OUT OF ASSFUCKLAND WERE RANDOM GODDAMN MINES.
BFEL is STILL salty about that shit.

It has its failings, and yet again its up to moddersObsidian to really make it a great game
FTFY :P

Indeed, I do this.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: April 29, 2016, 06:01:32 am »

Yes, no doubt that Oblivion could take this and make another great game. A fallout 4.5. But then there is something already there for them to work with. Maybe engine wise that something is outdated and would cause them a lot of grief, but still they get some good assets, they get some good mechanics.

So, I'm just starting to feel like I want to give Bethesda more credit. Honestly, I'm surprised at how positive I feel towards this game. I ended up paying full price, and I honestly don't regret it. Actually, I'm even kind of happy that I supported the game more, which I can't really say I thought about Skyrim.

Yes the way all the stats have been replaced with a perk cheat feels way too simplistic for those of us with RPG backgrounds. But the counter argument that they have managed to purify what is there and streamline it isn't entirely without merit. I have a mod installed which nerfs some of the insane weapon damage boosts you get from perks, as well as upping the requirements of some perks (want to make your own drugs? then you need to be bloody smart). But this is a tweaking of numbers, with the basic system remaining the same. And it feels fine. I'm totally OK with it. I wouldn't mind trying Wasteland II some time and having a different experience that is closer to the original Fallouts, but I don't see what Bethesda is doing as -just- a bastardization. Simplification can be good too.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: April 29, 2016, 07:01:51 am »

Yes the way all the stats have been replaced with a perk cheat feels way too simplistic for those of us with RPG backgrounds.
[citation needed]

"RPG" still doesn't translate to "statblock the length of a city block", at least not in my book. A game isn't qualified or disqualified as an RPG based on the quantity of numbers you have.

I like the system they went with in FO4 because it allows the player to make meaningful crunch-side choices in character development instead of giving them the appearance of the same, and I don't feel particularly obliged to qualify it as "I know it's not really an RPG, buuuut..."

Let's look at a couple classic RPGs and their sets of stats and skills:

FF VI: Lv + HP + MP; Strength + Speed + Stamina + Magic + Attack + Defense + Evasion + Magic Defense + Magic Evasion + Escape Success. Exactly the same as FO4 (core health, power, experience measure plus seven key ability scores, the only difference is the need to account for the difference between physical and magical damage types and the battle escape mechanic). No "skills" as such beyond class-specific moves and abilities... which are pretty closely aligned with the feat system, actually.

Pokemon Gen I: HP + Lv + Attack + Defense + Special + Speed + Evasion + Accuracy. Only two core stats and four ability scores, plus two in-battle stats that didn't change with experience gain or level up. Likewise, only four "skills" in the sense that you have each 'mon's moveset, and they don't change or improve individually.

Hell, the Ultima games generally just had the core HP + MP + Lv plus three gorram ability scores, and (remembering UO in particular here) skill gain that wasn't tied to exp gain or level up, and total skill points was hard-capped well below what you needed to max everything.

So please, try to tell me that classic RPGs are all about distributing a fuckjillion points whenever your experience meter ticks over and having more skills than you know what to do with.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 462