Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831476 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Casuels Killed The Video Game
« Reply #4650 on: December 09, 2015, 07:59:03 am »

You can't romance Nick. He's a robot skeleton.

That didn't stop that one schoolteacher.
He was no match for the womanly wiles and sleek curves of his french robo-assistant.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: December 09, 2015, 11:50:14 am »

there was definitely bribery/intimidation in morrowind

There were the options to do them, but no "cycle" that I remember, except that wheel in Oblivion where you had to be blunt, bribe, be nice and something else in some specific order to get ++socialz.

You just clicked "bribe" as many times as you wanted, it cost money and depended on your speech check. And intimidate and whatever. Mostly it just made people angry so you reloaded a lot.

EDIT: I like old school and all that but personally I hated Morrowind conversation system. Not saying that F4 is an improvement. I think the multiple choice from Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout 3/NV is pretty OK. I'm sure there's some alternative other than always-4-identical-choice-wheel. Heck, even in Mass Effect the wheel at least was contextual.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:54:58 am by Sergius »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4652 on: December 09, 2015, 11:51:22 am »

Has anyone else noticed that all the romance-able female characters are impressed by lock-picking? Guess they just like the nimbleness of your fingers...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: December 09, 2015, 11:55:07 am »

And Nick's impressed by computer hacking...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: December 09, 2015, 12:38:37 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that all the romance-able female characters are impressed by lock-picking? Guess they just like the nimbleness of your fingers...
I havent, or at the least have never got the "X likes that" thing. Audio comments only.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: December 09, 2015, 12:47:42 pm »

So if the wiki's anything to go by at this point, it'd seem .50 calibre rounds are largely unused, other than in rechambered Pipe Rifles and Hunting Rifles, for a modest change in damage output in the latter's case, at least. That's a shame. I was expecting something like the Anti-Materiel Rifle from New Vegas to crop up at some point.

Well, I suppose 5.56mm is even less used. Only by the rather redundant Assault Rifle. And isn't .44 scarcely taken advantage of, too? Only by the .44 Pistol?

Bunch of weird choices and missed opportunities around late game ballistic weapons. Assault Rifle unlikely 1900s design aside, 5.56mm (presumably 5.56x45 NATO) is a rather modern calibre, which exceeds Fallout's futuristic '50s spirit.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:49:47 pm by Greenbane »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: December 09, 2015, 01:03:51 pm »

It was used in all the previous fallout games.

.223 Remington is basically the same caliber (different powder load IIRC) but it's the same thing.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: December 09, 2015, 01:18:49 pm »

The 5.56 was actually made in the late 50s and formally introduced in the early 60s. It would have probably been in development, at least, by the point of the culture freeze.

If anything, the 10mm is unrealistic. The quintessential '10mm' cartridge, the 10mm Auto, was given birth to at the end of the 80s after the '86 Miami Shootout.

However, both cartridges have been present in every single Fallout game.

As for the underused bullets and limited late-game weapons choice, that's kind of one of the issues I have with the game. Weapon upgrades and perks ended up being a placeholder for actual better weapons, so by the start of the late game you've basically seen all of the weapons content and picked the best weapon for yourself. Even Fallout 3 had a few new things to introduce by the late game, like the gatling laser.

Weapon upgrades also reduce the value, essentially, of different classes of weapons. Since, with the right perks, you can readily configure most weapons however you want once you've gotten a single example of that weapon, there's less meaning to finding other versions of that weapon out in the field. At best, you can find Legendary variants, but Legendaries can easily end up being redundant or something you don't want to use, and they make the actual value of finding legitimate 'unique' weapons less important since a generous portion of the unique weapons have the same bonuses you can get from the Legendary system anyway.
Nothing important here, move along.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: December 09, 2015, 01:19:28 pm »

So if the wiki's anything to go by at this point, it'd seem .50 calibre rounds are largely unused, other than in rechambered Pipe Rifles and Hunting Rifles, for a modest change in damage output in the latter's case, at least. That's a shame. I was expecting something like the Anti-Materiel Rifle from New Vegas to crop up at some point.

Well, I suppose 5.56mm is even less used. Only by the rather redundant Assault Rifle. And isn't .44 scarcely taken advantage of, too? Only by the .44 Pistol?

Bunch of weird choices and missed opportunities around late game ballistic weapons. Assault Rifle unlikely 1900s design aside, 5.56mm (presumably 5.56x45 NATO) is a rather modern calibre, which exceeds Fallout's futuristic '50s spirit.

Fallout 2 is full of guns from beyond the 1950s
Desert eagle was produced from 1982, FN P90 from 1990
There's failed protoypes like the Pancor Jackhammer (1984) and H&K G11 (1968)

Fallout always had a mix of the old and the new.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: December 09, 2015, 01:39:23 pm »

Fallout is, in general, the spiritual successor to a fictional 50's WWIII. Don't buy too much into dates.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: December 09, 2015, 02:18:38 pm »

Fallout is, in general, the spiritual successor to a fictional 50's WWIII. Don't buy too much into dates.
It's aesthetically 50's, except set in the future relative to now. It's essentially a world where the Fifties lasted over a century.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: December 09, 2015, 02:21:24 pm »

You can't romance Nick. He's a robot skeleton.

That didn't stop that one schoolteacher.
He was no match for the womanly wiles and sleek curves of his french robo-assistant.
I don't even own this game and Nick Valentine has stolen my heart.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: December 09, 2015, 02:30:44 pm »

My favorite companions so far are Curie, Codsworth, Valentine and Strong.

Curie and Codsworth have the sort of charming personalities you'd expect of Mr Handys plus Curie has the whole naive scientist thing going on, which is just adorable.

I have a fondness for the film noir detective theme Valentine has.

Lone Survivor like Strong. Strong not mind when Survivor eat corpses of weak humans. Strong appreciate strength.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: December 09, 2015, 02:36:15 pm »

Fallout 2 is full of guns from beyond the 1950s
Desert eagle was produced from 1982, FN P90 from 1990
There's failed protoypes like the Pancor Jackhammer (1984) and H&K G11 (1968)

Fallout always had a mix of the old and the new.

I suppose. But I'd consider the series lesser due to those unexplained slips, when the games otherwise stick very strictly to their '50s freeze/retrofuture spirit across the board. It's not that more modern weapon concepts can't be explored, but done right, it's through a suitable, '50s-minded aesthetic. Not copy-pasting a Desert Eagle, P90 or M4 into the game.

As for the weapons issue in Fallout 4, I suppose we can expect (or at least hope for) more variety from the DLCs. The problem is that since every weapon has to be moddable, adding a new one means adding several modular chunks. As for legendaries, for me the biggest issue is that there's almost no unique-looking ones, not even reskins: they might have some special effect and a little star, but they look just like an equally modded, common cousin.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: December 09, 2015, 02:40:46 pm »

I dunno. Bethesda has never seemed too hot on broadly-base content DLC. At least that was my experience from Skyrim. They weren't into adding dozens of new weapons unless they fit a very specific theme (i.e. Dawnguard.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 462