Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829559 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Basically WH40K
« Reply #3900 on: November 21, 2015, 09:06:18 am »

Yeah, maybe they should try to do something about the whole "navigate through menus" abstraction before going for that kind of "realism".
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: November 21, 2015, 09:15:15 am »

They sorta did, I do love looting containers without pausing.

Lockpicking without pausing was really cool in the original Thief games.  You actually had to wait until guards were away before picking, because it took a while and made noise.  The minigame itself was cool for the time, but I actually like Bethesda's current one more.  (Hated Oblivion's, maybe just because I was bad at it). 

But another thing was that picking progress was saved, which didn't even make sense in Thief since you pull your tools out.  In FO4 it would just mean *not* resetting the sweet-spot location every time you exit, which would be easy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: November 21, 2015, 09:17:17 am »

If I ever end up making my own dream game many years into the future it would be some sort of horrible amalmagation of ratchet and clank and thief and maybe zineth.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: November 21, 2015, 10:01:39 am »

Bethesda object placement tends to tell better stories than the main player story. The houses have their own stories.  Bathtub has a skeleton in it, which also happens to have a toaster and fork in with them. There's a teddy bear party set up by supermutants. Man and woman skeletons in wheelchairs sit next to a small lake, watching the sunrise. All the map locations have fairly tidy stories to them.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: November 21, 2015, 11:29:08 am »

And then you get random floating cans of water.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: November 21, 2015, 11:50:53 am »

Or nuclear skeletons which spaz with the noise of a thousand suns, particularly on re-entering areas.
You'd think hopping on a skeleton until it stops generating free energy would break immersion a little, but I've played enough Bethesda games that it fits neatly into gameplay/story segregation for me.

Also that screenshot someone shared where some silo entrance is mostly clipped into a hillside and couldn't possibly be opened...

But yeah, the intentionally placed objects often do tell interesting stories, and well.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: November 21, 2015, 01:05:55 pm »

Regarding the ending, along with the posts above, I almost feel like this is a Mass Effect 3 situation in which the developers should provide the ""Extended Cut"" (read: decent ending) providing enough context and explanation on 'what the hell just happened'.
It felt rushed. Even though the quests leading up to the ending felt way more cohesive than FO3 and maybe FO:NV, it fell too much off of what one would expect from a Fallout ending.

I can ignore the fact that you are forced into stuff and have no control over it - even though you can gather and build up the whole Commonwealth - but this felt like a generic ending.

Then again, I might be just mad because they didn't provide a longer ending sequence. It's also extremely sad/bad/weird/disappointing (pick one) that:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh well, guess I'm gonna have to carry that weight.

E: Also, forgot to mention:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 01:13:32 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: November 21, 2015, 01:40:08 pm »

So I finally got around to going up to the Fascist Blimp... at level 41, with rank 4 Gunsmith, Science!, and Armorer.

Cue "You don't look much like a soldier to me."

Spoiler: MFW (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: u wot m8 (click to show/hide)

So yeah. Bethesda. Not so good with context-sensitive dialogue.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: November 21, 2015, 01:49:38 pm »

Yep. Nothing tells you must be a weakling like a full modded X-01 with heavy guns.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: November 21, 2015, 01:51:28 pm »

I was slow picking who to side with so the game ended up forcing my hand.  :-\

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: November 21, 2015, 01:56:20 pm »

Knowing that Elder Maxson is not an essential NPC... it fills you with determination.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: November 21, 2015, 01:58:10 pm »

Bethesda object placement tends to tell better stories than the main player story. The houses have their own stories.  Bathtub has a skeleton in it, which also happens to have a toaster and fork in with them. There's a teddy bear party set up by supermutants. Man and woman skeletons in wheelchairs sit next to a small lake, watching the sunrise. All the map locations have fairly tidy stories to them.

Have you found the

Also, the terminal about the baseball team that hadn't won in over 150 years made me laugh.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3912 on: November 21, 2015, 02:22:13 pm »

I won't give specifics but there is a place where you can look at emails between various terminals and scientists were playing some form of D&D type game while working. Amusing.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: November 21, 2015, 02:31:01 pm »

Knowing that Elder Maxson is not an essential NPC... it fills you with determination.

Really!? Damn. Then killing him stealthly or with Sandman perk should really allow us to remove him without going to war with the Brotherhood. That'd be nice.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: November 21, 2015, 02:47:05 pm »

Have you found the

Also, the terminal about the baseball team that hadn't won in over 150 years made me laugh.

Yeah, that one is okay.
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 462