Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830619 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: /mbg/: manbutt general
« Reply #2490 on: November 04, 2015, 03:54:31 pm »

Waiting till when steam sales are applied.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: November 04, 2015, 04:51:50 pm »

That ass is glorious.

Also, I immediately thought 'Putt putt in the butt'. I may need some mental sanitation at some point...
You meant what what, right?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: November 04, 2015, 05:02:12 pm »

So I think we better get this out of the way now cause people will bitch about in the future.

Since Bethesda had that blotched paid workshop attempt with Skyrim it should be on everyone's mind about what's going on with paid mods now.

If you looked into the released EULA, Bethesda has now stated that all mods must be distributed as free. So for the most part there will not be paid mods on steam or shady modders cannot sell their mods for profit.

HOWEVER its time for catch-22. Bethesda states that all custom content created for the game is wholly owned by the LICENSOR (ie. Bethesda) and not by the authors, that they can use custom content for promotions and advertising.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: November 04, 2015, 05:09:08 pm »

It's going to cause a major shitstorm a couple months from now, probably.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: November 04, 2015, 05:26:46 pm »

Virtually everyone has a clause like that these days.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: November 04, 2015, 05:27:15 pm »

Encouraging modding but keeping control of their own IP. I await Mickey Mouse as a playable character so Bethesda can go to Disney and say "Hey! This is mine!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: November 04, 2015, 05:52:36 pm »

Here's your daily reminder about the "enforce it or lose it" aspect of trademarks.

This is pretty much the closest we'll get to ideal: it's an implicit statement of "no paid mods" while also allowing user-generated content to exist without legal uncertainty (albeit by claiming rights over it). It would be nice for Bethesda to allow modders to retain ownership over their work, but that's not going to happen outside of bizarro-world, and the theoretical loss of ownership to Bethesda in some convoluted future event is preferable to the literal theft of your work by shameless profit-seekers in the present.

Of course, theoretically, it also means that lawsuits over stuff copied from other properties into Skyrim mods would be directed at Bethesda rather than the modder.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: November 04, 2015, 05:54:58 pm »

...Did Bethesda just basically preemptively take the legal bullet for mods/modders?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: November 04, 2015, 06:00:33 pm »

"But what if I was going to make the next DayZ or Team Fortress or Dota?"

Not that this would be the game to do that in.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: November 04, 2015, 06:18:00 pm »

This was already the case for Skyrim and presumably Fallout 3 and New Vegas.  It's in the EULA:
https://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/3fis0s/why_specifically_is_it_not_legal_to_sell_mods_for/
Specific section: http://pastebin.com/q4LVsAnr
Entire EULA: http://store.steampowered.com/eula/eula_202480

Essentially (assuming the EULA would hold up in your local court, not necessarily true especially in Europe), the modder cannot sell mods themselves.  And Bethesda has the right to distribute them as they see fit.

Technically this only applies if the modder used the official tools...  But it's probably against the license to backwards-engineer the ESM files.  So that's not an out.

Asking for donations is fine, and participating in Bethesda/Steam's marketplace was fine.  But yeah...  Bethesda does essentially own the mods, or specifically, has the rights to do whatever they want with them.

This isn't new though...
It's also not *bad*, it's not like Bethesda is going to steal mods and sell them themselves.  As we saw, they offered a system for people to sell mods... or keep offering them for free, whatever the mod author preferred.  They only ever offered mod authors an optional system.

Technically Bethesda could have just put all the mods up for sale and taken 100% of the profits (split with Steam I guess).  But to be fair to their detractors, that would have been a terribly short-sighted decision.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: November 04, 2015, 06:33:23 pm »

assuming the EULA would hold up in your local court, not necessarily true especially in Europe

And completely not legal in Canada.

And while technically "legal" in the USA, the tendency for EULAs to fail in court... Doesn't make it rather strong.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: November 04, 2015, 06:50:04 pm »

If they have a binding arbitration clause, so far those have proven to be bulletproof in US courts.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: November 04, 2015, 09:27:04 pm »

I wonder if there will be a sidequest in which you must be the lawyer for someone who modded one of the game tapes, but the developer is still alive and wants all the caps the modder made.

I wonder if you could hire them and make a development studio on your settlement and then distribute your original games and modded games throughout the wasteland, bringing entertainment and psychological need satisfaction to the whole race, therefore saving mankind from extinction by simply reminding them that the future is still something to look forward to.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: November 04, 2015, 10:28:24 pm »

No way...
It'll be a mod(s) though
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: November 04, 2015, 10:46:04 pm »

If they have a binding arbitration clause, so far those have proven to be bulletproof in US courts.

Well EULAs have a bit more of a... iffy legality.

Mostly because you have to buy the product before you get the contract... the contract which if you do not sign disallows you to use said product.

The EULAs are used MOSTLY as a way to strengthen court cases for businesses in the USA then it is to be used with true legal authority.

And whether or not private arbitration laws should be legal has been up for debate for a long time.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 462