Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831757 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4
« Reply #1695 on: September 11, 2015, 06:52:05 pm »

This made me want a Fallout cartoon. God dammit.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: September 11, 2015, 08:05:04 pm »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: September 12, 2015, 01:55:29 am »

You couldn't find any smaller version?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: September 12, 2015, 03:14:53 am »

Hey did I get it correctly -- they removed skills like small guns, medicine, stealth etc?

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: September 12, 2015, 05:43:13 am »

they removed skills like small guns, medicine, stealth etc?
they showed it previously in released gameplay video : you only have the SPECIAL attributes and perks.
There are perks for the different weapon types, and some perks have levels (seen at least for the crafting ones), and some skills are now perks (maybe with levels?) : lockpick and stealth, at least.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1700 on: September 12, 2015, 08:01:12 am »

Hey did I get it correctly -- they removed skills like small guns, medicine, stealth etc?
Most of the skills meant very little in FO3 anyway except for the jump points at 25, 50, 75, 100. Now they're just perk unlocks which simulate that instead of a meaningless 1-100 number.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: The Seven Defining Attributes that Make YOU S.P.E.C.I.A.L.
« Reply #1701 on: September 12, 2015, 09:41:19 am »

Damn are they out of mind? I really hoped Fallout 4 would not follow the way of simplification like it was with Skyrim. Now I think I'm going to hate it as well. I really couldn't think of another game to play in autumn besides Fallout 4, but I am afraid it's going to be not as entertaining as Fallout 3 was for me.

Most of the skills meant very little in FO3 anyway except for the jump points at 25, 50, 75, 100. Now they're just perk unlocks which simulate that instead of a meaningless 1-100 number.

That's definitely not an excuse to cut any of them out or change the character developing system (because it was great already!). If some skills did mean very little in Fallout 3, the creators could make them matter in Fallout 4. Even though it positively needs to check out how the whole thing will work at first, I'm really trembling for the game now.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:02:15 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: September 12, 2015, 09:49:16 am »

I was skeptical but in game-design terms it makes sense: picking new perks was always more interesting than assigning points to skills.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1703 on: September 12, 2015, 09:59:05 am »

So you're not going to play it because they changed a mechanic? That's kind of ridiculous. At least give it a try, or check out some reviews. Deciding you hate it based on a single mechanical change before you've even seen how the game plays is just silly

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: September 12, 2015, 10:11:30 am »

So you're not going to play it because they changed a mechanic? That's kind of ridiculous. At least give it a try, or check out some reviews. Deciding you hate it based on a single mechanical change before you've even seen how the game plays is just silly

I didn't say I would not play it at all (I'm still going to buy Fallout 4 within the first days it's on sale without seeing the scores it will have got), but considering how it turned out with Skyrim, I'm really afraid.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:15:52 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: September 12, 2015, 10:18:26 am »

I didn't say I would not play it at all (I'm still going to buy Fallout 4 within the first days it's on sale without seeing the scores it will have got), but considering how it turned out with Skyrim, I'm really afraid.

The only problem with Skyrim's perk system is that Bethesda did a poor job of balancing it. The concept itself is fine, other than the fact that you need to grind skill levels to unlock more perks.

Besides, experimenting with mechanics is a good thing. It can be pretty bad when a series just finds a niche and never ever leaves it, mechanics-wise.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: September 12, 2015, 10:57:51 am »

Indeed, stripping away RPG elements makes sense if they want to make an action game (which is obviously what Beth wants to make so it's a pretty well duh situation). The part of me that lines RPGs weeps, but F4 will be a better action game for it, just like Skyrim was better than Oblivion.
Love, scriver~

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1707 on: September 12, 2015, 11:37:46 am »

I re-uploaded the vault 77 comic to imgur.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: September 12, 2015, 11:44:07 am »

I re-uploaded the vault 77 comic to imgur.

And yet STILL a better vault then the ones in New Vegas.

Yes I am including the explody vault because that one was made of non-sense with how it developed... Did they vent stupid gas into it as well? It makes Megaton, the town that worships a nuclear bomb, look sane by comparison.

Hopefully Fallout 4 brings back interesting vaults.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: September 12, 2015, 11:48:04 am »

I don't see what the big deal is with making a perk-based skill system instead of "You must invest 25 points to use this sword, 50 points to use this chainsaw, and 75 to use this vibro-doom axe, and none of the in-between points will have any use other than to make it look like you're progressing more than you are".
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 462