Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 833184 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6660 on: December 15, 2016, 06:30:25 am »

I think it makes more sense to think in terms of the canon version, if only because Maxson is too young to be the Lone Wanderer by a good ten years or so, though there are other reasons besides that.

My take on it is:

snip

The reason I came up with this is that the depiction of Maxson in 4 is too old, he looks like he's in his thirties (actually rather like mid to late thirties), or at least in his late twenties.  Maxson should look much younger than 'thesda's model of him and I am saying this as someone who looks much older than my age, have done so since my mid-teens, and have experienced a lot of 'hard living' I've had grey and white since I was twenty-seven.

Also, it's an insane theory, just for fun.
Or he could be a young man made old before his time by the fact that he lived in a near-permanent state of war. That happens sometimes.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: December 15, 2016, 06:59:38 am »

Or he's a SYNTH!

[wiggles fingers]

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: December 15, 2016, 07:03:08 am »

synths don't age
Black lives matter.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: December 15, 2016, 08:36:48 am »

I realize this started a number of pages back, but I just wanted to chime in with muh two cents. Settlement building is bad in FO4 because it's almost a direct copy of the RTS: Real Time Settler mod first developed for FO3--just sayin'. At least in style of the building mechanics with some other resource managment tacked on.

That's because it is. I believe they asked the developer for help.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: December 15, 2016, 08:37:23 am »

synths don't age

You say when the game shows that yes they do in fact age. :P

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: December 15, 2016, 08:38:47 am »

Maxson isn't a synth tho. He has no synth component when he dies.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: December 15, 2016, 09:54:07 am »

Interesting. Looks good. Does this mod retain alerted enemies as red pips on the HUD or remove them like in Survival mode?

Linky for mod?

Well, it's actually several mods.

Enhanced Blood: Because Horror Needs More Blood
More Spawns: What's better than flicking on your flashlight and being face to face with a  raging ghoul? Flicking on your flashlight and being face to face with ten ghouls!
Pip-Boy-Shadows: Shadows are a horror thing. Definitely.
Realistic Survival Damage: Kind of necessary when you consider the increased spawns.
Interiors Enhanced- Darker Ambient Light and Fog: Bring the darkness...
Pip-Boy Flashlight: Strangle the light....
True Storms: Wasteland Edition 1.4 Because driving rain cut only occasionally by brilliant lightning will definitely improve visibility.
Darker Nights 1.11: ( set toDarkest, also the one with the option for perpetual night) This is the bread and butter, and takes you 80% of the way to pitch blackness. However, it can't quite get you all the way there, and is rather disappointing- since it's as close as you can get with standard mods.
Tactical Flashlights: Just some items so that some human NPCs will spawn with lights and NOT wonder around outside like goddamn mole people.
Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul: Again, amping up the horror vibe. Firing a gun outside sometimes makes it feel like you're the only person in a sea of monsters.
Digital Nightmare Music overhaul: Not sure about the combat music, but the exploration stuff is spot on.
Fallout 4 enhanced color correction: Compensates for the ENB we're about to talk about and makes things in the light seem more alive and vibrant.

Now, because F4 has no brightness setting (Which I actually couldn't believe when I first tried to tweak it) things get interesting when going for pitch black. Darkest nights and darker interiors, even at their max settings, still let you see. It's dark, sure, but you can still operate just fine and you're not in danger of missing anything. The worst it will do is cause mild eye strain.

Now, when looking through ENBs, I found one called Lost Light. It basically wanted to polarize light conditions, so the brights got brighter and the darks got darker. Even better, it had a warning on it that said that, if you used darker nights, you would probably have to use a brighter setting there to compensate for the ENB. So, installed the ENB framework and boom- pitch blackness.

EDIT: Haven't got around to styling the UI yet. Will probably do that as well, right now I just wanted to get the graphical feel I was going for down strong.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:54:36 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: December 17, 2016, 10:05:39 pm »

Well, after going 20 levels in Survival Mode without any "cheats" mods, here are my opinions:

- I like the extra deadliness of everything. And of course the XP buff.
- I'm OK with management of hunger, sleep, thirst. Doesn't make me super happy but it's like an extra challenge. I wish I didn't have to drink like one water/3 mutt steaks per minute.
- I'm ambivalent about the NO FAST TRAVEL. At least it forces me into more encounters, which in turn mean more action and MOAR EXPS.
- I don't care about the NO SAVE, like *at all*. In practice it makes me go from one mattress to the next, to the point that I end up mapping every single one, running back and forth mid-quest just so I can save my progress. And in the cases where I die and didn't save, having to go thru the exact same path, ugh, and not even mentioning if I did ANY dialogue at all, like if I was in a town trying to talk to everyone. So I reload and just... skip that shit. I don't talk to them ever again.

So, I'm starting by installing a couple mods, to restore the Save menu, and an aid item that quicksaves.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also now stimpacks are stupid, because they make you thirsty, and drinking purified water heals you about as much as the stimpack itself. So you can just drink the water instead (a reason not to drink as soon as the Thirst icon appears, instead wait until you need some healing).

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention, no saving is specially annoying when you do something completely trivial like opening the Workshop inventory to drop stuff before saving, and it crashes the game to the desktop.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:40:04 pm by Sergius »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: December 17, 2016, 10:10:31 pm »

Maxson isn't a synth tho. He has no synth component when he dies.

I don't mean "get older" so to speak... they age the same way a vacuum cleaner ages :P

Though given how they are biological and synthetic... There is no reason why they shouldn't actually physically age.

And if they aren't even partially organic... then everyone is an idiot.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: December 17, 2016, 10:23:40 pm »

Well, after going 20 levels in Survival Mode without any "cheats" mods, here are my opinions:

- I like the extra deadliness of everything. And of course the XP buff.
- I'm OK with management of hunger, sleep, thirst. Doesn't make me super happy but it's like an extra challenge. I wish I didn't have to drink like one water/3 mutt steaks per minute.
- I'm ambivalent about the NO FAST TRAVEL. At least it forces me into more encounters, which in turn mean more action and MOAR EXPS.
- I don't care about the NO SAVE, like *at all*. In practice it makes me go from one mattress to the next, to the point that I end up mapping every single one, running back and forth mid-quest just so I can save my progress. And in the cases where I die and didn't save, having to go thru the exact same path, ugh, and not even mentioning if I did ANY dialogue at all, like if I was in a town trying to talk to everyone. So I reload and just... skip that shit. I don't talk to them ever again.

So, I'm starting by installing a couple mods, to restore the Save menu, and an aid item that quicksaves.
Reduce the timescale to 6. It'll make it so you don't have to eat / sleep / drink every minute.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: December 18, 2016, 12:05:34 am »

I quite like vanilla Survival myself. As a tip, mirelurk egg omelettes are a cheap, easy source of food, weigh only 0.1 lbs per unit, and restore twice the hunger of a mutt chop, making them ten times as efficient. Any big mirelurk spawning location will yield a ton of eggs, and with the only other ingredient needed being dirty water, they're outrageously easy to accumulate in bulk.

When I reached Greygarden I did their location quest to clear out Weston Water Treatment Plant and snagged a big bag of eggs, then cleaned out Beantown Brewery of empty beer bottles for crafting a crapload of dirty water. Never worry about hunger again!

Also, noodle cups weigh the same amount as purified water, restore the same amount of health as purified water, and restore both hunger and thirst. Set up a razorgrain farm and carry noodle cups instead.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: December 18, 2016, 04:31:43 am »

Also install a mod that allows you to make dirty water in the cooking station or the mod that replaces dirty water in recipes with purified water (given how settlements produce that). It makes life much easier.

Here's one thing that really annoys me about vanilla Survival, it's that using stimpaks dehydrates you. That means I don't use them at all and just sell them off except for a small batch i keep around to heal limb damage. Stimpaks become kind of useless because food heals you just as fast and you're already packing loads of it with you to combat hunger and thirst on longer hikes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: December 18, 2016, 04:33:30 am »

I realized I just never played Fallout 4 because it is a pathetic slog where I carry around like 10 weapons so I can spread my ammo use... and have already broken the game over my knee because it is pathetically easy due to the stupid "Power Armor" thing people defend to the death but don't understand basic game design (Tip: Just because something is COOL it doesn't mean it is well executed or even an improvement over nothing)...

So I uninstalled it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: December 18, 2016, 04:47:23 am »

If you're playing Survival mode you don't need a mod to craft dirty water. Any empty bottle, such as milk bottles or beer bottles, will let you collect dirty water from a water source, or purified water from a water pump in one of your settlements.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: December 18, 2016, 04:50:38 am »

If you're playing Survival mode you don't need a mod to craft dirty water. Any empty bottle, such as milk bottles or beer bottles, will let you collect dirty water from a water source, or purified water from a water pump in one of your settlements.

Goodness it turns out this ENTIRE time that well water and spring water wasn't irradiated.

Also that people in this setting have very radioactive pee... in fact so radioactive that it actually turns porcelain radioactive just through contact.

Mind you this is because there was an experiement to genetically alter people so that the uric acid is turned into a liquid uranium mix... It is actually where Nuka Cola gets its flavor.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:52:26 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 462