Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 815158 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6675 on: December 18, 2016, 04:52:47 am »

Power armor is given to you too soon and is too OP in normal gameplay and worthless in Survival without mods because it gets shot off too easily, makes you a bigger target and the fusion cores for it weigh you down worse than an overweight geriatric grandmother.

The principle idea of changing power armor into a more vehicle-like thing instead of a wearable and limiting its usage through fusion cores are both solid ideas but need some serious additional work and polish. Power armor as it is now is presented to you as a solution to fighting hard fights but unfortunately in standard Fallout 4 all enemies except some bosses are balanced around you not being in power armor.

I like that they changed power armour into something more than just "here's the best armour in the game, wear it always and never take it off" but the way they did it is clumsy and indicative of the fact that Bethesda doesn't really know how to make open world RPGs and would much rather do something like Mass Effect, a much more linear (albeit branching) type thing.

Also seriously fuck how common Power armor is. Fucking raiders now have power armour. Raiders. Chrissake. And don't give me no lip about how it's a frame now and it makes sense that people would weld stuff onto it, why the shit are the frames so bloody common then. Power armor is supposed to be a rare thing and facing off against someone in power armour should be a terrifying prospect. Not a common sight when clearing raider nests.

If you're playing Survival mode you don't need a mod to craft dirty water. Any empty bottle, such as milk bottles or beer bottles, will let you collect dirty water from a water source, or purified water from a water pump in one of your settlements.
But I need glass for building. I don't want to spend potentially valuable glass on getting water. Also it peeves me that drinking RADIOACTIVE WATER and eating RADIOACTIVE FOOD is somehow fine-but-a-bit-annoying.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:54:51 am by Krevsin »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: December 18, 2016, 04:59:26 am »

I never had any problems with lack of glass, at least not to the point where I needed to cash in my bottles. Drinking glasses and pitchers usually provide far more than I need.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: December 18, 2016, 04:59:48 am »

In all fairness Raider Armor while TECHNICALLY power armor... is basically a load of freeken junk pasted on a power armor frame... It would have been neater if they didn't even run off of the Core system other power armor uses but a more primitive base like a Car engine of some sort. In a more competent game they could have split the power armor into classes rather then Chassis pieces.

The fact that you can't walk 30 feet without finding other fully intact or experimental power armor... is something else.

It kind of recreates the whole "Here is power armor, never take it off" into "ALWAYS BE IN POWER ARMOR!"

In fact the only reason Power Armor isn't always necessary is because of the other problem... The existence of this new Power Armor forces the game to always account for the existence of power armor. Thus Power Armor instead of being the highest tier of armor you can find in the game with cool and interesting abilities like they were before... Are the Nuke Option! A Win button.

It needed one of THREE things to happen to exist without these problems
1) Power Armor needed to appear near the late game
2) Power Armor needed different levels of Power Armor that eventually built to its super powered levels
or my preferred method
3) There were alternatives to Power Armor (like if normal armor was decent).

Even the "But Power Cores are scarce" are sort of a flimsy one because lets ASSUME they were... They are still a "I win" button...

Heck I don't even like the whole Power Core Gameplay because it kind of rewrites all the previous games to make way for their new canon... ALSO Why are Power Cores batteries when they are supposed to be mini-nuclear plants? and why can they exist for hundreds of years in good condition powering an entire town... but get drained to nothing powering a single hydraulic suit?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 05:28:09 am by Neonivek »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: December 18, 2016, 05:01:55 am »

One thing that weirds me out about Power Armour that I don't think has been mentioned is that you can't seem to pull corpses outside of a frame.

Not that we are ever wanting for more frames. The surplus many players have is bad enough already.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: December 18, 2016, 05:05:05 am »

Exactly. I still maintain that power armor system, even as it is would feel much better on a purely gameplay basis if it were a late-game addition, a toy that you get towards the end of the game to make you truly feel like you've advanced to this level of scoffing at mere raiders and mirelurks as their bullets and claws merely plink away at your steel and ballistic ceramic shell while you mow them down like a god of the wasteland.

Kind of like in Morrowind where you start off by having to walk everywhere or taking the bus siltstrider but by the end you can teleport and fly all over the place, zapping lesser foes into nonexistence.

It'd feel like a reward or a cool toy to play with instead of a "press to win" button.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: December 18, 2016, 05:05:42 am »

I'm more peeved that you can't stuff corpses settlers into a frame. Power armor for everyone!

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: December 18, 2016, 05:07:51 am »

When attacked, settlers that are nearby will automatically stuff themselves into a frame. Then you have to ask them to get out. I have like two settlers at Starlight Drive-in who are still in their power armor from the last attack.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: December 18, 2016, 05:31:56 am »

The sheer abundance of power armor would be kind of cool if you could lead war parties. Not just your one companion, but an entire squad. Being able to outfit them in power armor would be really useful, then.

I think the saddest thing about Fallout 4 is that it's a lot of unfulfilled potential. All the systems they added into the game add so little to the experience. The weapon upgrades are too linear and end up, for the most part, being kind of boring and predictable. Unique weapons barely matter because you can almost always find weapons with the same properties by just playing long enough and fighting the right enemies. The settlements are almost completely unrewarding because they offer negligible benefits to the rest of the game. And the 'Radiant' quest system is possibly the most boring thing ever because there's only 3 or 4 different quests that boil down to doing the same thing in different places over and over.

That's on top of the fact that Bethesda can't write any more. The very world of Fallout is so interesting, but they consistently fail to exploit it except in the most shallow ways possible.
Nothing important here, move along.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: December 18, 2016, 05:59:05 am »

I am at least willing to forgive its skill system on the basis that they never done it before... but the storytelling is abysmal...

I am not sure they ever told a worse story in their games... Though Skyrim sure gets close with its "War to end all wars! this way will be sooo bloody that nothing will change or matter once it has occurred!"

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: December 18, 2016, 06:06:39 am »

At least we didn't have a backstory in recent Elder Scrolls games. It never even weighed in on the stories. 'Cuz it didn't exist.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: December 18, 2016, 07:24:37 am »

I think Fallout 4's story was strongest when you were dealing with the followers. I was determined to romance Danse, y'see. And when the ending asks you to
Spoiler: actual spoiler (click to show/hide)
I found the factional choices pretty damn difficult.
The story itself is pretty weak and the replay-ability and allowance for role playing were both very disappointing, but I did enjoy how gut wrenching having to betray followers was, and the fact that the vast majority of the story's impact was reliant on these totally optional chatacters was interesting.

Edit:
At least we didn't have a backstory in recent Elder Scrolls games. It never even weighed in on the stories. 'Cuz it didn't exist.
Something that Obsidian is fond of doing. KOTOR 2 is quite impressive in managing your character's backstory in that you don't know it but your character does.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:44:38 am by Edmus »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: December 18, 2016, 07:28:14 am »

One of the fun easter eggs I enjoyed in the game when I began my second play-through was discovering Deacon basically everywhere. Loved that extra touch.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: December 18, 2016, 01:20:19 pm »

Is he there from the beginning of the game, or is there a certain point in the story where he shows up?
Black lives matter.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: December 18, 2016, 01:41:38 pm »

I am at least willing to forgive its skill system on the basis that they never done it before... but the storytelling is abysmal...

I am not sure they ever told a worse story in their games... Though Skyrim sure gets close with its "War to end all wars! this way will be sooo bloody that nothing will change or matter once it has occurred!"
I've never actually completed Skyrim's main quest, but I found it quite immersive, and I think that's what really matters. It was much harder for me to immerse myself in Fallout 4, which is why I haven't played it since it came out...

I also agree that Power Armor is a shitty implementation of a great idea.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 01:44:25 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: December 18, 2016, 01:46:12 pm »

I've never actually completed Skyrim's main quest

I can tell, because you said "Main quest" when referring to Skyrim.
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 462