Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 829514 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Paid Mods??! Not Big Surprise
« Reply #1425 on: July 22, 2015, 05:40:13 am »

The worst case scenarios are being given as a given because hey are the most likely. Or, rather I guess, significantly more likely than most are comfortable with.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: July 22, 2015, 05:44:55 am »

But isn't that just jumping to conclusions? "I fear this might happen, therefore it will probably happen"?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: July 22, 2015, 05:49:26 am »

"Something like this has happened before, the people responsible have stated interest in trying it again, therefore there is a good chance it will happen."
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: July 22, 2015, 05:59:47 am »

Back on topic, has anyone found any delicious Fallout 3 mirelurk slashfiction?
Ugh. Why did I search and find this. That was not very romantic.

But a tug on the front of her Pre-War Parkstroller Outfit roused her.

She had heard of the creatures before her but a stranger’s watered down account could not compare to the true terror of having a Mirelurk King being so near. Much less two. The pair of them made short work of her clothing, tearing it off of her furiously. They had her bared before them in a ripe, young display of human flesh; soft and yielding.

It goes much as you'd imagine. I don't recommend.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: July 22, 2015, 06:06:47 am »

So... erm... Anyone else hoping to see mutated cranberry fields? That's a Massachusetts thing.

Some google searching shows that the New England Aquarium and the Museum of Science are in Boston, which might be interesting places to explore. Especially the Aquarium, if it's filled with all manners of mutated wildlife and not just mirelurks.

Poor Moira though. There are intelligent mirelurks out there and she had to find info only on the stupid DC ones.
Oh yeah, Moira. I hope the Wasteland Survival Guide returns.

*urge to join back into the paid mod topic: Resisted*

-Notquitethere posted while I was writing
Oh my Atom, what in the Glow did I just read?
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: July 22, 2015, 06:12:19 am »

"Something like this has happened before, the people responsible have stated interest in trying it again, therefore there is a good chance it will happen."
Eh, fair enough.

I still don't see a point in rehashing the paid mods argument when it's been pretty much done (paid mods are bad, if you agree boycott Bethesda by not buying FO4 or the paid mods for it).

She had heard of the creatures before her but a stranger’s watered down account could not compare to the true terror of having a Mirelurk King being so near. Much less two. The pair of them made short work of her clothing, tearing it off of her furiously. They had her bared before them in a ripe, young display of human flesh; soft and yielding.

Well, that was... a thing.

I was kinda joking when I posted that request.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find and apply some brain bleach.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: July 22, 2015, 07:21:37 am »

When aliens destroy humanity, this will be exhibit A in the justification.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: July 22, 2015, 07:57:44 am »

It might seem a bit ridiculous to jump to those conclusions but there is a precedent for it...within the gaming industry...from this very same company.

The Horse Armor DLC.  Many of the same arguments were made then as are being made now.  And even then there were people who took the stance of "you're being ridiculous, taking it to that extreme, it wont ever be like that, just look at the backlash it's already caused."  10 years later and now we have companies like EA and Ubisoft selling us games piecemeal.  Just like those "hyperbolic" and "panicky" theorists predicted.

No, the points they're bringing up wont happen Tomorrow.  But being complacent and dismissive will ensure that they'll become reality at some later tomorrow.  There is precedent.  This is how we went from free television with broadcasting paid for by advertising, to paying for cable packages with 10 minute long commercial breaks.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: July 22, 2015, 08:17:09 am »

The only truly effective solution is to harass developers and modders until they're terrified of even mentioning the idea publicly.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: July 22, 2015, 08:30:08 am »

It might seem a bit ridiculous to jump to those conclusions but there is a precedent for it...within the gaming industry...from this very same company.

The Horse Armor DLC.  Many of the same arguments were made then as are being made now.  And even then there were people who took the stance of "you're being ridiculous, taking it to that extreme, it wont ever be like that, just look at the backlash it's already caused."  10 years later and now we have companies like EA and Ubisoft selling us games piecemeal.  Just like those "hyperbolic" and "panicky" theorists predicted.

No, the points they're bringing up wont happen Tomorrow.  But being complacent and dismissive will ensure that they'll become reality at some later tomorrow.  There is precedent.  This is how we went from free television with broadcasting paid for by advertising, to paying for cable packages with 10 minute long commercial breaks.
You missed my points entirely.

I'm not saying paid mods are not a concern and will not happen while sneering at "panicky" and "hyperbolic" theorists. I am saying that being panicky and hyperbolic will only devalue the argument against paid mods since panicky and hyperbolic arguments are easily dissmissed.

If the only counterargument to something is publicaly percieved as "a bunch of nutters chanting 'the end is nigh'", there effectively is no counterargument as people generally do not want to be associated with a bunch of nutters chanting 'the end is nigh'.

So... erm... Anyone else hoping to see mutated cranberry fields? That's a Massachusetts thing.

Some google searching shows that the New England Aquarium and the Museum of Science are in Boston, which might be interesting places to explore. Especially the Aquarium, if it's filled with all manners of mutated wildlife and not just mirelurks.

Poor Moira though. There are intelligent mirelurks out there and she had to find info only on the stupid DC ones.
Oh yeah, Moira. I hope the Wasteland Survival Guide returns.
Speaking of Moira, a lot of people seem to think she is annoying. I cannot for the life of me see why, as she is one of the few characters I actually remember from FO3 and I found her questline to be some of the most fun I had in the whole game.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: July 22, 2015, 08:33:50 am »

I'd argue that while there is certainly some bad, money grab DLC, overall the addition of DLC is a good thing and games are better off for it and that the hyperbolic and panicky theorists were mostly (but not completely) wrong.

The only truly effective solution is to harass developers and modders until they're terrified of even mentioning the idea publicly.

No, just... no. Do you realize what you're saying?

The only solution is voting with your wallet. Don't buy pay mods. Don't buy games that have them. If enough people agree with you, the idea *will* be shelved. If enough people don't care and buy them anyway that means you are in the minority.

Why do you think you should be allowed to force your minority opinion on the majority of people? Why do you think because you happen to not like something, people who DO like it and DO want it can't be allowed to have it? Why should the angry minority be allowed to dictate what the market can sell and buy just because they can shout really loud?

Edit: sorry if it's sarcasm and I missed it  :(
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:40:18 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: July 22, 2015, 08:39:03 am »

Sarcasm.
Love, scriver~

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1437 on: July 22, 2015, 08:41:36 am »

Didn't come across as sarcasm.. with all the "lets be super militant" crap so far I believe he's serious.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: July 22, 2015, 08:45:09 am »

To be honest, DLC in and of itself is basically just Expansion Packs and those are an idea as old as PC gaming.
Or at least 90s PC gaming.

My point is, DLC in and of itself is not bad. The more extraneous shit (cosmetics, extra characters) is annoying, but the big DLC (additional storylines, large swathes of new content) is something that PC gaming has known for a loooong time under the moniker "Expansion Pack". DLC is basically just a new coat of paint for a known concept.

No, what is annoying/downright criminal about DLC is the way it is handled, with large DLCs going so far as to being announced and sold as early as pre-release, provoking a very reasonable question of "why wasn't this included with the core game?". To my knowledge, no publisher has yet answered that question satisfactorily.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: July 22, 2015, 08:50:15 am »

BT, Did you really just try to argue that DLC was good!? That *was* sarcasm right?

I agree, there's no need to be super militant (and it won't get us anywhere), but DLC is exactly as bad as we thought it would be. Day1 and on-disk DLC  and content that should be in game is (luckily becoming 'was') rife. and the fact that developers are going out of there way to say that they won't have DLC is pretty much proof of how bad it is.

Voting with your wallet is good but so is expressing that you dislike something. Whilst I wouldn't say that harassing developers is a good way to go, certainly an email/letter stating why you're annoyed is fine way to express your unhappiness.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 462