Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37

Author Topic: Mercenary Fleet OOC: 10?/10? charter members, ??/?? members. Transit 1  (Read 28563 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary Fleet OOC: 10?/10? charter members, ??/?? members. Transit 1
« Reply #495 on: July 12, 2015, 04:35:24 pm »

Could be just had a bad run.

Plenty of ship designs have that happen in real life, where they simply aren't up to par and so get tossed out after only a short production run.

The Exemplary Standard's hull is a bit over a century old, on the other hand.

The Coalition builds their shit to last.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 12, 2015, 04:54:39 pm »

Those various payment and benefit methods work for me. I figured it was a newish hull based on an older design.

I figure Knavikov and The Duchess would be well-suited to salvage duty. We don't have a repair bay, but the mining and construction modules along with plenty of free crago space will probably make short work of the wrecks. A few marines detached for the salvaging would definitely be advisable. Who knows if anyone is left on board if there are a few untouched compartments.
...The PC has repair and moly labs. I don't want to leave it detached from the main fleet though. We have work to do.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 12, 2015, 04:58:35 pm »

Those various payment and benefit methods work for me. I figured it was a newish hull based on an older design.

I figure Knavikov and The Duchess would be well-suited to salvage duty. We don't have a repair bay, but the mining and construction modules along with plenty of free crago space will probably make short work of the wrecks. A few marines detached for the salvaging would definitely be advisable. Who knows if anyone is left on board if there are a few untouched compartments.
...The PC has repair and moly labs. I don't want to leave it detached from the main fleet though. We have work to do.

Yeah, The PC has more important things to do :)
We definitely don't want to be diverting too much of our useful equipment.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 12, 2015, 06:47:06 pm »

It's actually older than 25 years, it's just really behind on parts and isn't designed to take advantage of modern conveniences in the new models. Imagine the difference between a truck from the 80's in need of a serious mechanic to a 2016 model.

Now, that being said, there's a lot that you can do to bring it up to standards. Depending on how you do it, you can have a ship with a bit more cubage, a faster ship, etc. Wait for scrap from a battle, and throw in cruiser drives. 

You will have to actually board to see exactly how it's different from standard, though. :D

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 12, 2015, 06:57:01 pm »

I think the plan is: Corvettes and civilian ships remain, while the rest go on, with six of the Cossack's fighters attached to the Viper's Nest squadron.
Those remaining are to get the one that might work into functioning order, and what can be salvaged from the others is to be transferred over.

I doubt the other two can be towed, but if they can, we could sell the hulls for scrap, or secure them for future refit as the skeletons of new ships. Provided they have enough structural stability for that. Of course, a lot of this part depends on what we actually find once we get on board.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 12, 2015, 07:12:40 pm »

Sounds like a good course of action.

If one of the captain's with spare troops could detach a company or two for added security (ya never know what's going to happen on wrecks) That would be good.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 13, 2015, 06:57:44 am »

With the Cossack's 2400, the two corvettes' 500 between them and the twelve fighter' 10 each, you'll have 3020 Marines with you - over a third of our total.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 13, 2015, 09:06:42 am »

Ah, thought the Cossack was heading with the main fleet to the CEO's, my mistake!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 15, 2015, 05:19:44 pm »

After doing some rolls:

Freighter 1:
1 out of 3 primary drive nodes can be repaired. The other two are FUBAR'd; this means that it's not hyper-capable, but it can (presumably) bring up the drive. 3 out of 6 secondary drive nodes can be repaired easily. It's going to have a very slow accel rate, even for MF's. Primary reactor mass is 92% depleted, with 50% left in the reaction thrusters, and approximately 70% of the contents have been looted. It has about 78/240 HP, and actually has breathable air in a few compartments, somehow.

Freighter 2:
1 primary node might be able to be repaired, but not by what's being left behind and there's no way it can be fixed in time to make it to the mission. 2 secondary nodes can be repaired. The reactors have been ejected or stripped a long time ago, and the hull breached by a compensator spike ripping/melting a hole out of the backside and frying just about everything. Despite (or possibly because of) the massive damage, only 13% of the contents have been looted (probably because every door requires manual labor to open, and a few appear to have been rigged to explode outwards upon unsealing). It has approximately 20 HP left out of a presumed original 240 HP, and there is no way anyone would bother doing anything but scrapping the ship.

Freighter 3:
There are no drive nodes left - someone else took them first. There's also no compensator, the bridge shows evidence of the chairs being removed, etc, etc. People have been stealing parts from this ship for a long time. Although it might, at one point, have been capable of being repaired, it's been so effectively looted that your time would be better spent building a new ship. The majority of the remaining cargo is classified as scrap and unrefined metal, with 87% being looted.

IC first post has been updated with the correct Fleet Sheet.

Amendment: Cossack has 70lm - base 30 plus 40 from sensors.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 15, 2015, 05:25:02 pm »

Can we repair and move the node drive from Ship 2 to Ship 1?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 15, 2015, 05:33:21 pm »

Unless the Viper's Nest stays behind and skips out on the mission, no. You can shift the secondaries over and get up to 115g accel, though.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 15, 2015, 05:39:12 pm »

What's the estimated enemy fleet composition again? Would leaving VN behind to salvage more thoroughly be worth it? Would it significantly affect our combat abilities?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 15, 2015, 05:52:10 pm »

The enemy ships are likely to be as follows:

1 Heavy Cruiser
1 Q Ship
3 Pocket Cruisers
3 Corvettes
12 Fighters
6 Interceptors
3 Bombers

This isn't guaranteed; it's just what is likely to come along based on recent history. Either way, you probably want to bring fighters with you.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 15, 2015, 05:53:27 pm »

Plausibility of stopping by later?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 15, 2015, 05:59:45 pm »

I will say that eventually, your ships will catch up to you or you will be told where to find them.

Although it might not have made it to the hyper bridge, your people will remember their employer and will drop you a message when it arrives and gets fixed. You can sink some money into getting the part rush-delivered so it can jump into hyper and possibly be with you after the second mission is complete, though.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37