Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37

Author Topic: Mercenary Fleet OOC: 10?/10? charter members, ??/?? members. Transit 1  (Read 28665 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

But, hey, why not, I'll set this up.

Fleet does all of that fancy accel math and after six hours at 600g, the fleet is moving at .42c. Supercruiser does it and after six hours at 517g, it is moving at .36c. At this time, the fleet enters detection bubble at 1,978,630,220km and is picked up by the Supercruiser.

Round 1: Fleet moves 7639203.78km closer; Supercruiser moves 6582496.09km with 1,964,408,520km.
1,964,408,520km distance between Fleet and Supercruiser;
1,908,047,537km until Supercruiser reaches extreme missile range of the Fleet;
1,904,450,029km until Fleet reaches extreme missile range of the Supercruiser;
and
489,429,626.64km until the Fleet picks up the Supercruiser on passives.

Round 31: Fleet moves 238,394,000 closer and SC moves 205,965,000 closer. Fleet picks up SC on passives.
1,520,049,520km between Fleet and SC
1,463,688,537 until SC is in missile range of Fleet
1,460,091,029 until Fleet is in range of SC

Would have taken me less time if I were not looking for fancy calculators to determine exact times, but there is a limit as to how much I want to do.

When I saw

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just sort of checked out for a second. :D

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Ross...

You can abstract a crapton of that stuff, you know. Or just run it for 'until they get in missile range/until an order would actually be changed'.

I wasn't asking you to run a battle, just asking about relative strengths. I tried to build the Battlecruiser to be the Anvil/Anchor for the fleet. Wanted to see if I did a good job.

Anyway, Kai Battlecruiser coming up, specializing in Energy to complement the Missile-loaded Terran Battlecruiser.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

That actually *is* about the point where choices would be made. If you pick up a ship coming directly at you, that's right about the point where you decide what to do.

I was going to estimate the time it took the Fleet to cover a little less than half the distance between extreme missile range (10%) to the enemy, calculate the distance, and then do the Fleet 10%, and go by intervals at 25%, 50%, and so on until one fired first, and then just go round for round until missiles ran out or extreme energy. I don't think I'd particularly care to spend the time calculating it out one round at a time. :P

Like I said, googling fancy calculators ate most of the time, not doing the math. That was not superhard.

But yes.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Kai Battlecruiser (click to show/hide)
It goes a few bc over the limit, but I think it'd be fair to give them the boost they need from Fleet cash; we'll still have 70+ bc on hand, and this feels like about the minimum to be good at the role it's designed for.  Which is to say; killing things at close quarters. Might actually help a lot to give them a third EW/ECW, if you guys would be okay giving them the cash for it from Fleet. I would like to improve their Sensors but...eh. At least it'll be in a fleet where it can get Sensor support from the other guys. Couldn't afford to give it any missiles, and they wouldn't have fit into it very easily in any case. Not sure how Kai name their ships, and the Captains should get to name it anyway. You guys will still have to calculate your own commander bonuses, by the way. :P Shouldn't be hard.

Secondary thing, but +5% Accel is actually a lot in this. Flight Engineers get +20g, and that's their primary bonus. Maybe it's countered by improved critical chance being not all that helpful, but as it is...I dunno. Just pointing it out for Ebbor and Ross. Oh, and I meant Supercruiser, not Battlecruiser, durr.

Finally, you could really have just chosen arbitrary numbers of volleys for how many missiles they held. Seems odd that they would carry only part of a volley in their magazine, after all, in addition to all the rest, if the space could be better used for something else(okay I admit I'm mostly thinking countermissiles).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:49:55 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Yeah, it is kind of a huge bonus, thinking about it. Maybe the Flight Engineer is going to get changed slightly so they have a higher increase.

I believe the Supercruiser has 902 missiles. Should be right up in the first post. 45% to hit, too; bigger missiles and better computers behind them than you can fit on a Small ship. Otherwise, great!

I am not sure what the last bit means. Missiles are stored to where the chance of scoring a direct hit on the ammo supply is improbable, and to where if you have any tubes to shoot out of left, you can keep firing until you are dry on ammo.  Cycle time is the time needed to retract the catapault, cool the tubes, etc.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

battle cruiser, carrier, 2 corvettes, 1 fighters vs one supercruiser?

I think I'd approach long missile range with the fleet in high EW + ecm, letting the bc lead. the bc is close enough in size to go toe to toe for a few rounds, and the sc would almost be forced to launch at it, hoping to tear it down before it got enough of it's missiles of to cripple the sc. Let the fighters act as a defensive screen to pick off missiles with energy weapons. Only after the initial interchange would I send in the corvettes and fighters to add targets / add missile salvos. at this point, the bc cold launch everything while the fighters rush in, launch, and alpha out. Leave the corvettes in the bc's shadow as ecw and countermissile support primarily, lessening the impact of the bigger ship's firepower.

I think in a battle like this, everything would take heavy damage, but I figure, with a little wisdom, the fleet would win due to having a tank with enough hp to absorb some hits and the ew/countermissiles to soften those blows, while having enough secondary hulls with enough strength to whittle down the enemy.

supercruiser missiles:902 + ?

Battle cruiser missiles:730 + ?
Corvette missiles: 672 (x2) = 1344
Fighter missiles: 165 (x14) = 2310
total: 4384 vs 902. I know the raw numbers don't tell the whole story, since there are sidewalls and antimissiles and ew/ecw at play, not to mention tech level differences, but unless there is a severe tech level difference, the sc should be sorely pressed all by it's lonesome against all those missiles.

(+ carrier 573 missiles, for completeness)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh don't get me wrong, it's 340bc of ship versus somewhere around 500bc? Supercruiser's not gonna win.

On other note, I'm gonna try and make a map.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

I feel like I don't understand the effects of a lot of the components thoroughly.

Plus, right now, what i want is a single sreadsheet with all our ships on it. I've got my ships with all the info gleaned from Ross' charts, but it's a lot of typing to add everyone else' (plus looking through the thread to find them).

Suggestions?

(p.s. I hope I don't have to abandon the Viper's Nest. I should have made a 400 bc ship for Cheese Kevak and I as backup in case High Tyrel drops out. Maybe I still will. Seems more straightforward to build a Capital than a Carrier.)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

I can't promise it tonight, but I shall do so sometime soon. :D

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Any ETA on when this starts?

Or a list of things that still need doing?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

...Well, I had imagined it would start a while ago, so I'm eager.

If we are gonna go with the map Rolepgeek is doing, probably next week? I can have the sim battle be the unofficial start of the game. It'd be fairly logical for captains in a new fleet to drill together.

Things that need doing:
- Me to do the Fleet Sheet
- Any final ships
- RPG's galactic map

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

I suppose I should let him explain, but a simple map in 2D representing distance between planets, "wormholes"  and stars, showing the game field. I don't know if he'll include the Twelve Hour Territorial Limits or not. Ask him.

I was personally going to fake up a small galaxy or two, but having something more realistic is nice.

Obviously, there's a little bit of judicious editing so as to convert "time from one end of the Galaxy to the other" from 27 years at a Courier Ship max hyper to about 1.5 years using wormholes as instantaneous hyper bridges between two fixed points in space. Naturally, you are not going to have free access to all of the wormhole. 

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile

I think the only thing really necessary for game start is to know who with completed ships is ready, and what missions re available for that segment of the fleet. I can fiddle with my excel sheet and put the numbers in for the other ships, I just don't know how some o the components will ultimately affect them.

But at your own pace, Ross.

Edit: I'll have to hunt dow nwhatever Rolep is using to determine hit/counter and so forth. I only know the words in the charts for the components. Figured I'd figure their effects after.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:47:08 pm by Ozarck »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

This is what I've got so far. I'm at a net budget of -1.5 credits, but I believe Ross was willing to let that slide. I've left some stats blank because I'm not sure what they're supposed to be (they're all base value), but otherwise I'm done. Also, is the Captain ability okay?

Origin: Galactic League
Captain: R. L. Carlin (Wolfpack Leader - +20% Effectiveness for all Medium Ships under direct command)
Spoiler: GLS Centurion (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37