Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724275 times)

KaraSummers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Partem Tueri
« Reply #5775 on: July 16, 2016, 08:54:35 pm »

That moment when you get fed up with the AI mods and the Ruler's, so you kinda...sorta...cheat the ever-living-fuck out of it
Gay couples should be able to defend their pot farms with machine guns

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: August 29, 2016, 09:17:54 pm »

I really enjoy the various weapon addition mods, but I'm a bit annoyed that most of them require specific upgrades to use past Tier 1. I really couldn't afford 2000 supply to upgrade them all to magnetic, but I'd like to continue having the option to use them. Anyone know if there is an easy way to do that (other than cheating in the supply & alloys)?

Also, my FPS just tanked between last night and today, especially on the geoscape. Didn't install any mods in the meantime and I've tried some obvious stuff like rebooting my PC. Anyone else have a similar issue?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:33:02 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: August 30, 2016, 04:52:23 am »

I really enjoy the various weapon addition mods, but I'm a bit annoyed that most of them require specific upgrades to use past Tier 1. I really couldn't afford 2000 supply to upgrade them all to magnetic, but I'd like to continue having the option to use them. Anyone know if there is an easy way to do that (other than cheating in the supply & alloys)?
The guy who makes most of the custom weapons with specific upgrades has the upgrade cost softcoded in configs. You can edit them to be zero and buy them concurrently with buying the vanilla mag/plas upgrade.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: August 30, 2016, 09:29:13 am »

Ah, ok, that's handy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: September 29, 2016, 01:09:45 am »

I tried picking this up again after I initially bought it, tried it, and put it back on the shelf in February. While I've definitely developed a newfound appreciation for the inherent difficulty of the game (my pride won't let me play below Veteran :P), I find myself taking issue with the way it was done, and I've come to realize: the things I really dislike, are what makes it Xcom.

Simply put, as far as my tastes are concerned, the game experience relies too much on probability and not enough on the execution of correct strategy versus a complicated AI. And as a result, rather than reveling in the challenge like I might in, say, a cooperative shooter- I just feel cheated and stressed out when I get the short end of the stick. The whole "Trained soldiers with automatic rifles missing enemies in close proximity and out of cover, unarmored foes surviving explosive rounds, high caliber rounds not just removing sectoid limbs when they miss, seasoned veterans panicking from the relative safety of full cover" thing, just strikes me as so much bullshit and filler mechanic. I know that's thee entire game for some people out there, and I respect that, but for whatever reason, the neurons it fires just don't do anything for me. Probably for the same reason I can't stand most tabletop games. ^^'

What I would be interested is a similar squad-based game with a much more profound tactical interface, wherein executing the correct strategy resulted in a firefight that played out in your favor about 90% of the time, and by the same token, a single wrong step could get half of your men gunned down before they could even react. Whether or not a soldier who isn't under fire hits his target within a reasonable range, or even what gear he is wearing over a relative threshold (come on, sectoids look like they should be torn to ribbons in a single barrage!) should barely be a factor, and position and maneuvers should trump all. Luck be damned.

Oh well! *puts back on shelf*

I, uh, don't suppose anyone knows of any games like that..? :P
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:12:17 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: September 29, 2016, 01:12:02 am »

Jagged Alliance 2?

I'm also sure there are mods for XCOM 2 on the workshop that tone down the randomness.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: September 29, 2016, 01:20:47 am »

I will not abide this insult to the Random Number God! Heretics!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: September 29, 2016, 01:31:10 am »

Can't you just mod most of the random out? And the ranges are sort of artificially small, you should probably think of all the ranges being roughly quadrupled as far as aiming goes on the basis of nobody being able to see further than a single building's distance... Is it possibly to mod accuracy out and replace it with variable damage?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: September 29, 2016, 04:05:16 am »

Some things like not hitting a close enemy out of cover should also be seen in the light that they are constantly moving, the turns are arbitrary. You don't shoot that Sectoid standing around looking stupid, you shoot at that sectoid that just came charging in out of nowhere, that just made your buddy next to you scream in imagined pain and led to him panicking and calling for his mother. He is still running and you just rolled behind this flimsy rock, loose a couple shots at him before you scramble on to better cover.

Also in XCOM2 you don't have many "seasoned soldiers". You have survivors, bandits, freedom fighters, people that learned how to use a gun quickly, that never went through proper military training and conditioning.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: September 29, 2016, 04:55:58 am »

Also in XCOM2 you don't have many "seasoned soldiers". You have survivors, bandits, freedom fighters, people that learned how to use a gun quickly, that never went through proper military training and conditioning.

Not only does this not show but if you check the description of the characters a LOT of them are either trained by the military, by Xcom, or are extremely skilled individuals.

Very few are people who "Just picked it up"

In fact the scientists and engineers are INSANE! they aren't normal scientists but mad scientists :P

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: September 29, 2016, 05:20:49 am »

" extremely skilled individuals"

Yes, they are. But only few are former military that fought in the first alien war.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: September 29, 2016, 05:23:13 am »

" extremely skilled individuals"

Yes, they are. But only few are former military that fought in the first alien war.

And very few Xcom soldiers in the first game fought in WW2 :P

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: September 29, 2016, 05:29:20 am »

Some things like not hitting a close enemy out of cover should also be seen in the light that they are constantly moving, the turns are arbitrary. You don't shoot that Sectoid standing around looking stupid, you shoot at that sectoid that just came charging in out of nowhere, that just made your buddy next to you scream in imagined pain and led to him panicking and calling for his mother. He is still running and you just rolled behind this flimsy rock, loose a couple shots at him before you scramble on to better cover.

Granting the first, the aim's still shit and the enemies are Betheesda-style bullet sponges. That's my biggest teary-eyed rage. Second, if you're utilizing the correct tactics for the situation, that sectoid and his family are dead before they know you're there, or they never see you. Unless you have a guaranteed advantage, you don't go sticking your neck out and strike head-on. Sure, you could justify the scenario- a ragtag resistance desperately fighting as Earth's last hope, with no other choice than to take risks that are so statistically improbable that a semi-sentient commander would realize attempting them is tantamount to throwing away his squad- but Xcom is far too well-equipped (yet, paradoxically understaffed!) to sell me that one. Furthermore, the comparative cost of each soldier (20 supplies per rookie, whereas a billion dollar-looking lab is around 80) would seem to suggest they're already pretty well-vetted. How about multiple platoons, at 1 supply per soldier, if that's supposed to be the game? I would bet my life the reason is accessibility, and not an ounce of consideration for the theme. Sure, some missions would have limitations on how many troops you can take along, but storming an alien compound? Bring a fucking army in half a dozen Skyrangers. Hell, it'd probably be mandatory if you wanted to get in and out before their reinforcements showed up.

Will have to look into Jagged Alliance 2! I confess, I'm usually not much for history-based settings, but maybe I can get my head around that.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: September 29, 2016, 06:16:06 am »

JA2 is not really history based though, you are trying to free a fictional country from a evil dictator. :D

Neonivek: That comparison is not very good, as there were wars fought after WW2, and more importantly there was organized military that conducted training.

Anyway, XCOM (as the organization in the gameworld) has been in a weird position since X-Com 1. The funding there (and in NewCom 1 as well) is pitiful, especially as you are hailed as the sole hope of humanity. Why do you even have to bother with money? So I kinda like the supply economy of XCOM2, though the prices are completely arbitrary (as they have always been). Of course I see the reason for it, because without any kind of economy that layer of the game would be pointless. I just try to think of reasons that might explain some if it away for me.

(JA2 actually has a much better economy. Though if you turtle for a bit after Drassen and maybe a 2nd mining town you can usually buy anything you want anyway. And the costs of the Mercs are off as well as soon as they start leveling, as those that are cheap to start with will never be able to earn anything close to what the more expensive ones get, even if they are trained to be superior in every way. Easy to see with the Dolvichs. Igor will never catch up with Ivan financially. And Trevor starts quite expensive, but is only level 2, so he can become ridiculously expensive quickly.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: September 29, 2016, 06:24:05 am »

There were also wars and an organized military during and after the aliens invaded :P

Remember the aliens didn't take over, they became a corporation. (because if they were a government... you would be a terrorist :P)
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 469