Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724131 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Enemy Known
« Reply #705 on: June 05, 2015, 02:43:18 pm »

I can't wait until people charge for basic mods... and thus modding your own game becomes illegal.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 05, 2015, 02:47:36 pm »

Valve will probably do their paid mods thing there but meh.
That was a result of an agreement between Bethesda and Steam - Steam wouldn't, and to my understanding pretty much couldn't introduce it unilaterally.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 05, 2015, 02:53:30 pm »

That was a result of an agreement between Bethesda and Steam - Steam wouldn't, and to my understanding pretty much couldn't introduce it unilaterally.
Doesn't mean they won't come to an agreement with this company.  Taking a tidy cut out of pay-for-player-made-mods is basically free money, after the initial set-up.  If the rules are the same as last time.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 05, 2015, 02:57:20 pm »

Valve cant legally enforce paid mods on a game owned by a company that does not agree with it. If there's no agreement with said company, the most valve can do is not allow mods to be distributed through the steam network, and that was never the case, AFAIK, so yea, no paid mod shenaningas unless firaxis agrees with it.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 05, 2015, 03:00:41 pm »

Doesn't mean they won't come to an agreement with this company.  Taking a tidy cut out of pay-for-player-made-mods is basically free money, after the initial set-up.  If the rules are the same as last time.
Of all the dev studios out there, I think that Firaxis is one of the least likely to go that direction. Sid Meier has never struck me as the sort of moneygrubbing asshole that would think that way, and IIRC he still is pretty much the person that Firaxis orients around.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 05, 2015, 03:03:35 pm »

Valve cant legally enforce paid mods on a game owned by a company that does not agree with it. If there's no agreement with said company, the most valve can do is not allow mods to be distributed through the steam network, and that was never the case, AFAIK, so yea, no paid mod shenaningas unless firaxis agrees with it.
Not necessarily Firaxis. I think that would be 2K who needed to agree, no? They are the publisher, after all.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 05, 2015, 03:06:41 pm »

I don't think Valve be do quick to reintroduce paid mods after last time. They like money, yes, but they aren't stupid

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 05, 2015, 03:11:33 pm »

Steam couldn't and didn't require mod authors to charge, either.  But it's okay, loud consumers made it clear that mod authors (and consumers, by extension) can't even be allowed the option.  While there were legal arguments (some of which might not have been disingenuous bunk, but most were) the loudest outcry was that mod authors don't deserve to charge.  That the ones who did were moneygrubbing assholes for not continuing to provide their work for free.

Steam and Bethesda were charging way too much for the service they were offering (though they *were* offering valuable services).  It's the actual content creators who really got shit on from both sides in that debacle.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X
« Reply #713 on: June 05, 2015, 03:13:49 pm »

Steam couldn't and didn't require mod authors to charge, either.  But it's okay, loud consumers made it clear that mod authors (and consumers, by extension) can't even be allowed the option.  While there were legal arguments (some of which might not have been disingenuous bunk, but most were) the loudest outcry was that mod authors don't deserve to charge.  That the ones who did were moneygrubbing assholes for not continuing to provide their work for free.

Steam and Bethesda were charging way too much for the service they were offering (though they *were* offering valuable services).  It's the actual content creators who really got shit on from both sides in that debacle.

It was more complicated then that. For example Modders weren't guaranteed to get any money for the sale of their mods.

There was nothing that said what did and did not constitute a defended mod (So "infinite ammo mod" could be put on sale and thus no other mod could have infinite ammo)

There was nothing to guarantee that a modder even had to fix issues with their mods at all... nor any way to refund a defunct mod.

What got Steam to shut it down was because Valve actually lost money... no really!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 03:17:19 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 05, 2015, 03:14:48 pm »

The true gems in that IGN article were the comments calling nuCOM "bargain bin" material and describing M&B as an RTS. The console plebs are real today, folks.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: X
« Reply #715 on: June 05, 2015, 03:36:40 pm »

It was more complicated then that. For example Modders weren't guaranteed to get any money for the sale of their mods.

There was nothing that said what did and did not constitute a defended mod (So "infinite ammo mod" could be put on sale and thus no other mod could have infinite ammo)

There was nothing to guarantee that a modder even had to fix issues with their mods at all... nor any way to refund a defunct mod.

What got Steam to shut it down was because Valve actually lost money... no really!
No, there was a refund policy for it. It was a poor one, but it was in place.
And I'm gonna need some fucking proof of that shit. Valve was goddamned humble when they announced they were shutting it down-Saying that they made a big mistake.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 05, 2015, 03:39:44 pm »

And what was the EXACT refund policy? because a poor one might as well be as good as no one.

Right now the refund policy for DLC is 48 hours.

I'm gonna need some fucking proof of that shit

Proof that Valve lost money once they put the paid for mods up? or what exactly?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 05, 2015, 03:42:29 pm »

On a side note, I have heard that Bethesda was contemplating the option for paid mods on fallout 4. Anyway, steam's refund policy is better now, right?

Two weeks actually.

http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 05, 2015, 04:00:34 pm »

And what was the EXACT refund policy? because a poor one might as well be as good as no one.

Proof that Valve lost money once they put the paid for mods up? or what exactly?
Proof that Valve shut down the paid mods JUST for losing money.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 05, 2015, 04:03:40 pm »

You can quote Gabe Newell. Here's some random site quoting Gabe's reddit posts, instead of reddit, because reasons. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-27-gabe-newell-to-the-internet-you-need-a-more-robust-valve-is-evil-hypothesis
"Let's assume for a second that we are stupidly greedy," Newell said. "So far the paid mods have generated $10K total. That's like 1 per cent of the cost of the incremental email the program has generated for Valve employees (yes, I mean pissing off the Internet costs you a million bucks in just a couple of days). That's not stupidly greedy, that's stupidly stupid.

Lol. He got -370 points and 2 months of reddit gold for posting "Think of money as information. The community directing money flows works for the same reason that prediction markets crush pundits."
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 469