Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724693 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: HYPE WITHIN
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2015, 12:32:59 pm »

Well if they have gone with the failure ending being the canon one, it wouldn't be the first one to do it as that was what was used in the Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight x-com alike.

Not exactly, (spoiler alert I guess) aftershock/afterlight were based on a mid-late game "alternate" path the player could choose, not a direct loss.

It was still sort of a loss because by the time you got to that point you're probably capable of winning so why go for it? but it was not the "game over you lose" scenario, more like the "I don't feel like playing anymore" button.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 01, 2015, 12:41:16 pm »

We now have 3 actions per turn, it seems.
I think that's the ammo counter.
Ammo counter is on the weapon graphic itself, at least it was in the game. It starts filled up and empties out as you spend ammo. The bars under that were actions left in the turn.
There weren't bars under the gun in EW or EU.  The bars in this screenshot are new; it might be that they shifted the ammo counter from the gun to the bar below it, but it might also be a new representation of TUs.  That gun is a bit black compared the colored-in outlines from the previous game, though, so if ammo capacity is still represented by the gun, it might be dry, but that doesn't make sense given anything else on the map (firing weapon action doesn't give an "Out of Ammo" warning; probable reload icon is greyed-out). 

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 01, 2015, 12:43:09 pm »

I'm thinking number 5 on that picture is cloak or camo something of the sort.

As for the graphics, that's probably still an alpha/beta/gamma in-dev picture or something. Those somehow never look even a bit like the end product...
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2015, 12:46:28 pm »

Throwing down here to hop on the train.  I don't get hyped often, but this looks pretty swell.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 01, 2015, 12:59:46 pm »

I'm thinking number 5 on that picture is cloak or camo something of the sort.

As for the graphics, that's probably still an alpha/beta/gamma in-dev picture or something. Those somehow never look even a bit like the end product...
Speaking of camos - I suspect the three bars are some sort of a stealthiness indicator.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2015, 01:09:45 pm »

Not sure I really dig the "Underground Resistance fighting the Nu-Alien world" as much as good old "Humanity fighting off invasion", but I guess they felt the story had to go somewhere. Plus, being the rebels, so edgy.
Do you not see the irony of XCOM flying around the world trying to subvert the governments of the world?

I see it. I just don't find it a theme I'm like "hell yeah!" about.

I dunno, I really dislike that whole "We got a big honking base" thing. I feel that we won't get any improvement on the strategic game. Probably just a re-skin of the NuCom base. And no airgame.

That was my first reaction as well. "Giant, overdesigned mothership? Well, guess that means better base building is out of the question."
Well sure, if we assume that's what a rag-tag band of rebels start out with. Could well be that's your late-game base, upgraded a few times from your original VW van with curtains covering the windows.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2015, 01:15:34 pm »

New XCOM!?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2015, 01:20:54 pm »

Well sure, if we assume that's what a rag-tag band of rebels start out with. Could well be that's your late-game base, upgraded a few times from your original VW van with curtains covering the windows.
Though I doubt it would happen at all, that just made me think of an awesome notion - if we actually get a mission to take the supply barge from an enemy hanger in the late game, a bit like the reverse of how the Base Defense was handled in EW.  Instead of a desperate defense against increasingly-heavy waves of hostiles with base defense troops and a smattering of buckshot to stiffen their spines, you end up forcing your way in against an army of mook pre-enhanced Sectoids and light Floaters, trying to cut them apart and get to the heavily armored rapid-response team at the core before it can reinforce and come at you in full force. 

That said, massive mobile base just feels weird, assuming that is how it works out.  I would have expected smaller cellular bases on the ground that need to be managed and, occasionally, sacrificed, not something with the subtlety of an elephant that could be hit from orbit by a battleship.  The aliens won; they control the orbitals, the ultimate high ground.  It seems that flying around everywhere in a special stolen ship is going to draw unwanted attention.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 01:23:29 pm by Culise »

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2015, 01:26:50 pm »

OMG I fell like I was run over by the hype train!

Even though they haven't realeased a ton of details, this game looks far better than I was expecting.

Full-out guerrilla warfare, stealth system, 3 Firaxis time units!, and MOD SUPPORT!!

Even if they screw it up, someone might fix it for them! Also, snake men and plasma swords seem to have made a reappearance. I'm honestly not too mad that XCOM is not the public figure that it was in Apocalypse but more of a desparate rebel group everybody else hates because that relations system was really botched and I always wanted to play "XCOM-Rogue", if I can safely call this that. I like the idea of the flying base because as long as it sticks to the outskirts of civilization and shifts around, it will be difficult to find, although I hope they improve management, even if they are unlikely to. I hope that name isn't official yet, but we'll have to wait and see.

Edit: Maybe the aliens don't want to shoot down a supply barge of brainwashed humans who keep them in control? Honestly, at this point I doubt the aliens are even that concerned about XCOM. The last game was the aliens trying to obtain humanity, and now that they have, I assume they intend to "harvest the fruits of their labor", so to speak. It's not like XCOM appears to have the resources to overthrow the aliens.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 01:29:45 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 01, 2015, 01:27:50 pm »

Let's see.
1. Air Support
2. Fire Weapon
3. Overwatch
4. RULES OF NATURE
5. ???
6. Hunker Down
7. Reload
8. Exfiltrate

Number five looks a bit like a beehive. Possibly related to beekeeping?
5 looks like stealth to me.
4 is probably melee.
1 might involve the drone.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2015, 01:33:34 pm »

Someone on reddit pointed out something that could hold water. What is it, exactly, that's keeping all these refugees flooding into the cities?

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 01, 2015, 01:37:57 pm »

One is forced to wonder how they pay for and maintain something like that ship in a world where human government now serves the enemy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #297 on: June 01, 2015, 01:41:22 pm »

procedurally generated maps
Were they not? That's (must) suck. Even OldCom 1.0 had procedurally generated maps and destructible environments (they have those, though, right?)
NewCOM just had the same unchanging maps. The environments were destructible, but unlike in OldCOM, even though lasers and plasma still destroys walls and such, the only way you could actually take advantage of that is with rockets and grenades.

One is forced to wonder how they pay for and maintain something like that ship in a world where human government now serves the enemy.
Raiding?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2015, 01:41:33 pm »

Funding from sympathizers within the world government? Dummy corporations (if corporations still exist) and fronts to bring in money? Through selling advanced tech on the black market? I'm sure they'll figure something out.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 01, 2015, 01:42:09 pm »

[X-Com didn't lose]
Jake Solomon has talked about the Volunteer as important canon.
Consider this: What if X-Com was pretty shitty at their job- they managed not to get wiped out, but they're not protecting the Earth all that well. More importantly their anti-alien focus means they couldn't beat EXALT down to insignificance. Instead, EXALT knocks together a psionic project (and Volunteer) of their own, hijacks a space-plane and tries to raid the Temple Ship for tech. What they find is beyond their wildest dreams- aliens willing to supply virtually unlimited meld, elerium and tech for a vague promise to be the chosen ones, and let them continue their experiments on humanity.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 469