Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724696 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: HYPE WITHIN
« Reply #270 on: June 01, 2015, 11:56:04 am »

Speaking of that, I'm wondering....save import system? It could be done, give you your EU/EW roster instead of randoms for the starting squad.
Even if was limited on how many guys you could get, I'd be interested by it. Wouldn't mind getting this guy back from my last (vanilla enemy within) game.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 01, 2015, 11:59:19 am »

I'd better be getting my fucking Guile hair back, Firaxis. This is no laughing matter. (Fun fact: If you recall, Guile hair's reveal is what made a good number of people trust in the Firaxis remake pre-release. No uncaring rehasher would take note of that detail.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 01, 2015, 12:02:18 pm »

I would have hoped for some better interface due to being developed for PC first, but apparently we still just have the action bar. Some notes, however.

No more "move" command, I seem to recall one being there in EU. But the two icons numbered 1 and 8 confuse me. 8 would be "extraction", I'm guessing. What is 1 supposed to be then?

We now have 3 actions per turn, it seems.

Melee action, but we knew that already. Probably unique to this class.

And, Inventory button, with what seems like 3 slots. Just loot capacity and extra consumables, or maybe potential for extra weapons?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 01, 2015, 12:02:55 pm »

AvP 2
Black & White 2
Cities XL
Company of Heroes 2

I stopped trying at that. It seems to be a problem with big titles mostly, not smaller PC titles. But based on the reaction here, even saying "PC EXCLUSIVE" is enough to get people excited, despite not having to live up to that statement until release. So I remain skeptical until there's something to see and touch to either refute or confirm that claim. Firaxis knows it has a fan base with X-COM, and I don't put them above using jargon to hype the base.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2015, 12:05:33 pm »

Heh, the overwatch symbol kinda looks like the Exalt symbol.  Not suggesting anything, just cute.
I am even more hyped now after seeing that image, thanks Sean.  (I can't check the main site myself right now)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 01, 2015, 12:11:26 pm »

Let's see.
1. Air Support
2. Fire Weapon
3. Overwatch
4. RULES OF NATURE
5. ???
6. Hunker Down
7. Reload
8. Exfiltrate
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 01, 2015, 12:13:26 pm »

On a side note, do we have any confirmation on those procedurally generated maps?

I know IGN says they have procedurally generated maps, but the same thing was claimed for the original XCOM. And the wording isn't exactly trustbuilding either.

Virtually unlimited combinations of maps, missions and goals

That implies prebuild maps, but with multiple possible gamemodes per map, rather than procedural generated terain.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 01, 2015, 12:18:12 pm »

They may do prebuilt buildings, then arrange them into city blocks procederally.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 01, 2015, 12:18:17 pm »

Let's see.
1. Air Support
2. Fire Weapon
3. Overwatch
4. RULES OF NATURE
5. ???
6. Hunker Down
7. Reload
8. Exfiltrate

Number five looks a bit like a beehive. Possibly related to beekeeping?
Love, scriver~

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 01, 2015, 12:18:49 pm »

I think that's the ammo counter.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 01, 2015, 12:22:16 pm »

Ooh, asymmetric warfare?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 01, 2015, 12:26:23 pm »

I think that's the ammo counter.
Ammo counter is on the weapon graphic itself, at least it was in the game. It starts filled up and empties out as you spend ammo. The bars under that were actions left in the turn.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 01, 2015, 12:27:15 pm »

So it is an x-com game. I was afraid it was going to be some stupid spinoff using the x-com universe.

I'm not happy about the "aliens win, all that cool stuff you did in the first game? LOLNOPE" scenario (I suppose it could be a "5 minutes after you win MOAR ALIENS" scenario instead)  but everything else? Even though I should know better, I'm on the hypetrain shoveling hype-coal to try and make the hype go faster.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 01, 2015, 12:28:20 pm »

Well if they have gone with the failure ending being the canon one, it wouldn't be the first one to do it as that was what was used in the Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight x-com alike.

Things are certainly open enough that it would be quite possible to go with the Temple Ship having been renegades of the greater alien empire and that was the great threat that they were wanting to acquire humanity to fight.

For character from the first game making a reappearance, I don't think Shen is likely to be one, due to his age at the time of the original conflict and this being at least 20 years later. Vhalen might be a good one to reappear, though I'm somewhat getting feelings of a Judith Mossman situation cropping up if she does. Bradford might be interesting if he returns, likely somewhat bitter about the world surrendering, though hopefully he's gotten over his fascination with dashing.

From the visuals, it looks like it will be based of the same engine, though I'm hoping that the turn being split into three actions is one of those things that is modable.

Also, how many old-com players on seeing the snakeman in the trailer immediately started watching for the happy-fun hug-buddies to show up? :P
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 01, 2015, 12:30:17 pm »

I can't remember all of the original fluff, but was there not some sort of diverse alien alliance pitching in to conquer Earth?  I seem to remember that Snakemen were specifically referred to as an allied species with totally different genetics from the rest of the aliens, and the Chrysalids were their buddies.

I was just reading up on it as a refresher, actually... and learned something awesome:  NuCom was Enforcer!

I never knew!  I never played it!  But reading up on the plot, it is set in parallel with the OldCom events and the showdown is on a cloaked alien supership against a superetherial, and it's totally the NuCom plot except without the Enforcer.

With the hints at a larger threat, I thought NuCom might have been making a nod towards the Apocalypse plot where the other aliens had defeated the Etherials and were enslaving the Sectoids and such.  Now, I'm not really sure.  They could have done anything with it.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 469