Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724760 times)

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: HYPE WITHIN
« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2015, 11:15:56 am »

Apparently the Avenger is a converted alien supply craft.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2015, 11:16:09 am »

Wait, hold on. That flying aircraft carrier thing is called the Avenger? Used by an undercover organization with a shield insignia? Employing highly trained agents, including people in flying suits of armor, psychokinetic users, and genetically modified supersoldiers? If they add a new class based around silently killing enemies with an high-tech longbow, I think we'll reach full crossover status. :P
Quote from: the article
stealth mechanics
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2015, 11:18:55 am »

Pffft, SHIELD wishes it was as cool as XCOM. High-end troopers have all the powers of the Avengers, with added guts-and-or-professionalism. Probably worse aim, though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2015, 11:19:43 am »

Not sure I really dig the "Underground Resistance fighting the Nu-Alien world" as much as good old "Humanity fighting off invasion", but I guess they felt the story had to go somewhere. Plus, being the rebels, so edgy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2015, 11:20:42 am »

Probably nothing, but it was cute how the sniper rested the crosshairs on one of the civilians in line for a moment before targeting the Advent soldier.  Resentment against the brainwashed masses, even as they're sent to save them?  Might be a minor theme.
Might also be a wry reference to X-Com's...complicated relationship with civilians in terror missions.
Probably unlikely, but I wonder if it'll ever be possible to liberate genetweaked people.  Which is what I assume the "aliens" are.  While this could be the result of an alien victory, my money's on the temple ship being destroyed.  That this is purely humans (like Exalt) doing unto each other, with the "captured" tech.  The Ethereals might be observing but I don't think there interference would be necessary.
I'm not quite sure if we're looking at a Temple Ship destruction or not. On one hand, the devs have made comments about the Volunteer being alive, on the other hand this doesn't quite make sense. None the less, the site says Earth surrendered to the aliens.

The Ethereals are definitely still around because one flashes on a monitor during the trailer. The aliens aren't modified humans, they're called Sectoids and Snakemen by the reveal press. I'm thinking these new variants are enhanced by human DNA rather than the other way around. The Ethereals found what they've been looking for, but that's no reason not to be cautious and test it on your slaves first. Which, if true, could mean universally psychic aliens.

BUT I AM SO FUCKING HYPE

X-COM RISING REVENGENCE MELEE

X-COM GEAR SOLID STEALTH MISSIONS

ROBOT BUDDIES

XCOM ARE TERRORISTS NOW

COUNCIL REP CONFIRMED, THEREFORE BRADFORD/VAHLEN-SAMA/SHEN LIKELY CONFIRMED

Disappointing name, though. WHATEVER

I'M NOT DISAPPOINTED BY THIS RELEASE SCHEDULE THOUGH

Oh yeah, and the site also says that the flying base is a modified supply barge named Avenger, and X-Com stole it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2015, 11:22:11 am »

Pffft, SHIELD wishes it was as cool as XCOM. High-end troopers have all the powers of the Avengers, with added guts-and-or-professionalism. Probably worse aim, though.
That's kind of a big deal. What good is an Avenger when he misses an enemy fellating their gun barrel with a 98% to hit chance? :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 01, 2015, 11:23:19 am »

Hm. The arrows in the info panel are hard to spot, I just realized there were several pages.

So, we still have five soldier classes. Hopefully before the upgrades kick in (i.e. Psy/Mech/Genemod). Apparently we'll be looting gear and artifacts off enemies slain in ambushes, and we'll actually be able to carry wounded off the battlefield. And we'll be in charge of building rooms into the Avenger, so hopefully none of that "excavating" thing equivalent, and something more akin to FTL.

Plus Steam Workshop integration.

This is looking pretty neat so far. Waiting for more details.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 01, 2015, 11:23:57 am »

The site won't load for me. Probably way too many people trying to access it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 01, 2015, 11:24:37 am »

Not sure I really dig the "Underground Resistance fighting the Nu-Alien world" as much as good old "Humanity fighting off invasion", but I guess they felt the story had to go somewhere. Plus, being the rebels, so edgy.
Do you not see the irony of XCOM flying around the world trying to subvert the governments of the world?

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 01, 2015, 11:27:03 am »

D-did I hear XCOM 2?

Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 01, 2015, 11:27:16 am »

By the way, it's still possible this isn't a bad end continuation. Enemy Unknown ends as soon as the Temple Ship is destroyed, there's no guarantee that's all the aliens had. That may have just been the point where X-Com proved they were actually dangerous and triggered a legit invasion.

It's also possible that what the Volunteer learned from the Ethereals made them turn traitor.

Speaking of that, I'm wondering....save import system? It could be done, give you your EU/EW roster instead of randoms for the starting squad.

By the way, note the continued presence of the German flag on our sniper friend's back despite the world being unified. Nationalism will triumph!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 01, 2015, 11:28:47 am »

I dunno, I really dislike that whole "We got a big honking base" thing. I feel that we won't get any improvement on the strategic game. Probably just a re-skin of the NuCom base. And no airgame.

Frankly, I'd much prefer a game where XCOM is on the run, has to hide, take hard decision "Okay, I have to flee this base, what do I take with me?"

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 01, 2015, 11:30:57 am »

Having my veterans would probably be extremely unbalanced in a new game.  I'd love it though, four paladin class MEC Colonels are hard to beat.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 01, 2015, 11:31:27 am »

Do you not see the irony of XCOM flying around the world trying to subvert the governments of the world?

I see it. I just don't find it a theme I'm like "hell yeah!" about.

I dunno, I really dislike that whole "We got a big honking base" thing. I feel that we won't get any improvement on the strategic game. Probably just a re-skin of the NuCom base. And no airgame.

That was my first reaction as well. "Giant, overdesigned mothership? Well, guess that means better base building is out of the question."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 01, 2015, 11:33:43 am »

I'd like to note how

new soldier classes, new aliens, stealth-infused tactics, procedurally generated maps, and more

Is pretty much what was mentioned in this thread as 'wants'. Especially the maps and stealth. Now if it has good mod support, it seems it might just be what most wanted!

Also, did anyone expect a PC EXLUSIVE title? I mean, how often does that happen for a large, hyped game, even if it IS a strategy game? Additionally, it's after the previous one was on consoles as well.

EDIT: After learning of Monster Hunter Cross today, it's looking like my studies in university may be rough in the first year. Now the question is, what hardware should I get so I can play them all? Damn. I don't have money for this. (My current laptop probably won't survive until XCOM 2 is released... They're really throwing me into a crisis here!)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:36:55 am by Wimopy »
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 469