Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724589 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Welcome Back, Commander.
« Reply #5115 on: February 25, 2016, 08:21:20 am »

You want to put repeaters on people with damage over time ammo. Every turn you cause damage the percent chance is reapplied.
Love, scriver~

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: February 25, 2016, 09:16:18 am »

You want to put repeaters on people with damage over time ammo. Every turn you cause damage the percent chance is reapplied.
WAIT WHAT
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: February 25, 2016, 09:16:34 am »

Just got this game and have been playing it straight the last few days.

I'm quite surprised at the drastic change to basic tactics vs XCOM EU/EW.

The time limits to everything made the old crawl-and-reload tactics impossible, forcing you to take risks and run without knowing what's ahead.

Grenades suddenly became really awesome. They were stunted in EU compared to the original X-Com where grenades were a legit gaming style. But in XCOM 2, well, my last few missions have been Flawless just because I started using grenades and flashbangs.

It seemed like a tough choice between flashbang or medikit at the start, but turns out that in the easy missions, I got 0 shots against me thanks to grenades. Also you can flashbang Codexes into not teleporting, flashbang sectoids into not using psi, flashbang huge groups of troopers into breaking overwatch. It's crazy the game never mentions this.

I'm keeping 2 grenadiers per mission now; they are to XCOM 2 what snipers were in XCOM EU.

The AI seems a lot dumber note though. I used to be really impressed with XCOM EW AI, because it would constantly find ways to outflank you.

XCOM 2 has aliens never taking shots at units who have had cover blown up, or those not taking an easy flanking move. I stick to Commander difficulty minimum now.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: February 25, 2016, 09:34:22 am »

*blink* Things I learn.  I picked up on Repeater + Stocks (the "missed" damage also checks for Repeater executions), but not that. 

But yes, grenades are indeed amazing.  I especially love the experimental models, and while I may shake things up once I've developed plasma grenades, I've at present taken to carrying a mix of acid, incendiaries, and flashbangs to suit various needs (respectively AOE armor destruction, raw damage, and stun).  Running with two grenadiers also gives me good shredding potential for point targets, especially since I've had multiple Dark Events result in all ADVENT forces getting free armor dots.  I think they've pulled my bacon out of the fire more than once. 

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: February 25, 2016, 10:04:48 am »

One thing I've noticed that I like compared to EU:  I've failed three missions in my current Commander run and don't feel like I should restart.  If this was EU classic, it'd be restart time.  Here, it's just a couple extra dark events- which I'm certainly feeling, but I can cope with them.

It may also be partially due to failures not being equivalent to squadwipes; I've still only lost 4 soldiers, and none really important ones.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: February 25, 2016, 10:23:45 am »

I actually restarted my first game after one mission fail. It was mostly that I did a lot of small irreversible things. Like losing only one unit per mission, but that unit was very highly ranked. Or trying to train rookies the X-Com way, by sending them into impossible odds and seeing who survives (instead of formal training).

Eventually I just got a bunch of corporals in conventional weaponry facing against codexes and advanced troopers.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: February 25, 2016, 10:34:13 am »

Also Snipers are useless. His did not do a *single* thing.
He's probably used to EU multiplayer where sniper's aim increased infinitely with distance.
Yeah, you gotta keep an eye on the Squadsight penalty, and dash your sniper forward when it creeps up to 20% or so. Height advantage helps (it helps everyone, but especially snipers because they can often afford not to move forward).
It was worse then that with him though. His sniper activated Serial, then tried to pistol my codex. He missed.zA
Link for convenience.
Wait. That, that is the the XCOM stats page. But, ADVENT. Spooky. I'm excited.

The Experimental stuff is nice. Grenades for days. Although I ended up bringing more experimental ammo rather then grenades on the final mission, I still say that the grenades are very nice (and cool: Nothing better then tossing an Incendiary Bomb and seeing an entire building burst into flames).

I'll try my hand at more multi-player later today, and maybe try a more traditional squad too. Mutons seem pretty good for their money (1500 points for a dude with a shredding plasma weapon, armor, and a grenade). Him, a Heavy Gunner, and an Officer could really clean up, leaving my other three members to handle cheese duty.

Also I want to try silly ideas, like an all (or mostly) Berzerker team, and my ambush team.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: February 25, 2016, 10:42:39 am »

Oooh, didn't know about the DoT proc on Repeater. Already been getting good use out of a Repeater/Stock combo on an SMG. Gone off 3 times already and I'm still fairly early on (Mag weapons/Pred Armor). Looking forward to getting better versions (I'm just using 5% ones)

Also, I love AP rounds. Never got them in my first campaign.  Between that and two extra troops with shredder from AWC (Sniper and a modded Shotgun class) I'm having a lot less trouble with armored units this time around.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: February 25, 2016, 10:58:01 am »

I actually restarted my first game after one mission fail. It was mostly that I did a lot of small irreversible things. Like losing only one unit per mission, but that unit was very highly ranked. Or trying to train rookies the X-Com way, by sending them into impossible odds and seeing who survives (instead of formal training).

Eventually I just got a bunch of corporals in conventional weaponry facing against codexes and advanced troopers.

I find that training rookies/lowbies are a waste of time -- over time because I can buy Colonels eventually in those new staff available events.

Rookies with grenades are perfect to destroy cover to give my higher level guys better % to kill that 1hp advent. 

I pick my A team, and the rest are support team / substitute.  This is not Long War, but more of the vanilla EU approach.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: February 25, 2016, 01:04:24 pm »

I don't like buying high-level troops, because I don't get a sense of attachment to them like I do those I trained from the ground.  That douchey-looking grenadier I have with the douchey nickname, or the guy I can rely on to MISS ALL THE SHOTS, or the one that grins while unleashing volumes of hot lead, or the sombrero-wearing sniper who is my best soldier by a mile.  The bought troops are just faceless trained people.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: February 25, 2016, 01:27:49 pm »

Yeah. I got a Col. Ranger from a mission reward near the end of my campaign. She was helpful, especially since she was the only high level Ranger uninjured for the final battle, but I just didn't care about her. She ran around at 1HP for the second half of the final battle and I just kept thinking 'Well, you're toast. Whatever.'  She proved me wrong, though. Lived until the end and actually helped me win. After that I cared about her, but that kinda didn't matter.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: February 25, 2016, 08:23:20 pm »

After my sniper nicknamed "Godfather" was captured,  I got a mission reward sniper.  Nicknamed "Godfather."

Renamed him to "New Guy" because we don't replace people in Xcom.  He turned out to be a badass pistoleer but the name stuck.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: February 25, 2016, 08:29:42 pm »

It can genuinely be the same guy. You can rescue captured soldiers.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: February 25, 2016, 08:59:14 pm »

I'm imagining that upon getting back everyone aboard the avenger continued to insist that he was dead, even if he yelled in their ears that he was still alive.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #5129 on: February 25, 2016, 09:19:36 pm »

Quote from: The Stat's Page
Commander, in our efforts to evaluate the progress of the resistance, we discovered that ADVENT had deployed a virus onto our network systems. We are happy to report that this virus has been isolated and destroyed, although it resulted in a loss of some collected data. We will continue to monitor activity, but know that all communications and statistics from our operatives in the field are now current and accurate as of today. ADVENT is in for a rude awakening if they think XCOM will be defeated by such routine tactics.
So it seems they fixed it! People can actually have their wins recorded!
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 469