Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 724646 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Welcome Back, Commander.
« Reply #5085 on: February 23, 2016, 06:06:33 pm »

Is it possible that they only shoot people who are not in cover? Is that the only way to break concealment on the enemy turn?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: February 23, 2016, 06:24:06 pm »

They only shoot those they see out of cover, but you might be detected of they come too close to your cover I think.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: February 23, 2016, 06:38:09 pm »

...that's not how normal movement works tho?  Also they said in a tweet it was specifically because of Beaglerush.
More then that, it specifically calls it the "Beaglerush maneuver" in the code. Obviously a last-minute addition.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: February 23, 2016, 09:44:48 pm »

Spoiler: Found this old gem. (click to show/hide)
Haven't seen that before, thanks for posting.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: February 23, 2016, 10:10:19 pm »

i'm the guy with the bandana
Black lives matter.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: February 23, 2016, 10:11:43 pm »

Vipers are hilarious ingame purely for their faces. They look so mad!
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: February 23, 2016, 10:42:15 pm »

With good reason, all things considered.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: February 23, 2016, 10:51:05 pm »

Yeah, I expect that the vipers consistently get the short-end of the stick. Presumably the mutons are too lobotomised to know how bad their lot is, the robots presumably have no sense of body identity, chrysalids just do what they love and don't care, the sectoids are obviously teacher's pets and only ever get upgrades... The Snakemen though get twisted into whatever high-command happens to be in the mood for at the time and expected to play whatever bizarre part they are told to without any freedom to interpret it. We all know that current viper physiology makes no sense at all, they are clearly given human female torso morphology for all the wrong reasons. I pretty much expect that the vipers are how the invaders conquered the internet...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: February 23, 2016, 10:56:21 pm »

Don't the temple ship Ethereals love their sneks more than Sectoids though?
Plus Mutons aren't totally mindless, they still seem to have some of their original culture.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: February 24, 2016, 12:30:29 am »

Honestly the tits are barely noticeable in-game, I dunno what the big hubbub is.  Sectoids have bare veiny asses and nobody cried about that.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: February 24, 2016, 01:08:49 am »

They only shoot those they see out of cover, but you might be detected of they come too close to your cover I think.
They have to flank you to reveal you. Unless half-cover fails to work point blank (it really should), you will only get revealed if the aliens walk around your cover.

I recently had a concealed Ranger in half-cover behind a waist-height fence during a Raid mission shootout. A Viper thought it was a good idea to take cover behind a tall stack of crates in plain view of said ranger (on the other side of the fence), literally a tile away. He had something like a 120% crit chance.

And yeah, the 'tits' are hardly noticeable ingame, and not just because I'm playing at DOS-era resolution. :P
Honestly, I think it's a decent design decision. I mean, suppose they wanted to have an alien that looked female, rather than just being female like the Berserker. Primary characteristics are right out. Tertiary... I really doubt snakes with long hair, bows, or skirts would look at all imposing, or non-nonsensical. :P That leaves secondary characteristics, and I think it was done tastefully enough that it both works, and does not detract from anything.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: February 24, 2016, 01:56:48 am »

I keep losing soldiers in this campaign. It's starting to become an issue, but I'm doing well enough to keep afloat. Really need to do the blacksite as soon as possible, though, and I've got almost nothing to work with since most of my veterans are wounded. Avatar project just hit 2 squares to failure, though. Time is actually running out.

Right now I've got a supply raid I could do, or I could rush the blacksite. All I've got, though, is a Corporal Ranger and a bunch of squaddies. Do have Mag weapons (Well, Sniper and Shotgun, anyway) and Predator Armor (And one Exo-Suit).

Tough decision. Do the supply raid with the lower ranked troops and risk waiting a week or two for some veterans for the blacksite, or see if tech can give me enough of an edge to win?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: February 24, 2016, 02:33:56 am »

Honestly the tits are barely noticeable in-game, I dunno what the big hubbub is.  Sectoids have bare veiny asses and nobody cried about that.
I think they actually toned them down a lot compared to the concept art that people first saw and complained about. I'm too lazy to check but maybe they even toned it down since the trailer.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: February 24, 2016, 03:25:34 am »

I don't think they "tone them down" since the trailer, but between the concept and the trailer I think what happened was that the Vipers' armor got a redesign. It's nowhere near as... skanky, I guess. Much less "steel breast-plate", and more "tactical armored sports bra".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 469