Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 912583 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1635 on: February 14, 2016, 04:48:02 am »

Most people who add Barbarian pretty much do it for the 12hp a level. Second place is the Monk. Well at least for casters

It is kind of what makes me wish instead they just made Gaestalt classes that were unique and balanced towards one another (while still being more powerful then normal).

What about a Summoner? (Unchained for balance reasons)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: February 14, 2016, 05:04:28 am »

Unchained isn't allowed by the DM. Plus I don't have the attributes to be a caster, and our party is large enough as is.

Monk might be ok, if only because Kinetic Fist goes well with unarmed and natural attacks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: February 14, 2016, 05:20:14 am »

Unchained isn't allowed by the DM.

O_O

Odd... the reason I suggested unchained summoner is because he isn't stupidly broken... and the unchained classes are more balanced in general. It is a weird thing to ban.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: February 14, 2016, 05:56:43 pm »

The Unchained Rogue gets Dex to damage at level three. That's considered broken. Plus they get Dex-and-a-half with Estocs, Elven Curved Blades, and Elven Branched Spears.

Signature Skills are also very powerful. Plus this DM considers Pathfinder Unchained to be a preview of Pathfinder 2.0, and as such won't allow it since it is for another game system, or something.

Not that I don't have other character ideas, I just want to use a Kineticist. Not too much goes with it easily, due to the play-style.

Plus just about everyone else is using their OC donut steel characters, so I may as well use mine while I can. Which is kind of funny, since everyone is at least a half-human race, rather than any of the special-snowflake races.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:52:24 pm by BlackFlyme »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: February 15, 2016, 12:12:32 am »

The Unchained Rogue gets Dex to damage at level three. That's considered broken. Plus they get Dex-and-a-half with Estocs, Elven Curved Blades, and Elven Branched Spears.

Still secondary to the Fighter and Barbarian's ability to rack up damage and without "Sorry, the bees" situation.

Or rather I think what people find broken is that they are a lot better then rogues. Unless there are broken builds I am unaware of.

Though it is still odd since only the Unchained rogue is "more powerful" noticeably.

Signature Skills are also very powerful. Plus this DM considers Pathfinder Unchained to be a preview of Pathfinder 2.0, and as such won't allow it since it is for another game system, or something.
[quote\]

Fair enough.

Though the reason Signature skills are so powerful is because they took away their previous non-optional signature skills and went "What if they were optional?"
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:20:23 am by Neonivek »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: February 15, 2016, 12:13:24 am »

dont be mean to rogues
Black lives matter.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 15, 2016, 12:20:00 am »

The only thing the Core Rogue can do that no-one else can is disable magical traps/locks.

Having Dex to damage is really good though. AC, Reflex, and Skills. All Strength is for is melee damage, melee accuracy, swimming and climbing, and carrying capacity.

Also, "sorry, the bees" means what?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: February 15, 2016, 12:23:29 am »

Also, "sorry, the bees" means what?

It is from a parody of Inuyasha

In it there is a character who can throw someone into a blackhole... but is completely disabled if bees are in the area.

Rogues in 3.5 were especially this "Sorry party, but you know, I am completely disabled" and Pathfinder made leaps and bounds to fix that (maybe 10% of enemies are immune to rogues versus 50%+ in 3.5)

I will say though that I am probably wrong about the "Dex = damage" being to avoid that. I think it is actually to give "Dex Rogues" a boost since there is no reason to go for dex as a rogue. Allowing people to keep the flavor of rogues without feeling like they are kneecapping themselves WHILE also making "Thug" rogues legit at the same time as there is no reason not to still go for strength as a rogue.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: February 15, 2016, 12:34:26 am »

why go strength when finesse exists
Black lives matter.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: February 15, 2016, 12:39:04 am »

Like I said, you get less out of Strength than Dex, and if you don't need Strength in the first place, why focus on it when you could pump Dex and gain much better benefits?

I have been trying to think of classes that would mesh well together, but don't thematically make sense together. Like a Ninja/Paladin. Both Charisma based. Though actually using some of your Ninja abilities would probably break your Paladin code.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: February 15, 2016, 12:42:59 am »

Wizard/Barbarian?
Black lives matter.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: February 15, 2016, 12:46:10 am »

Can't cast spells in a Rage in Pathfinder, unless you have the Moment of Clarity Rage Power. Which negates your Rage bonuses, while still consuming Rage rounds. But better than deactivating Rage and getting fatigued.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: February 15, 2016, 12:49:17 am »

..Wizard/Fighter?
Black lives matter.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: February 15, 2016, 12:52:49 am »

Like I said, you get less out of Strength than Dex, and if you don't need Strength in the first place, why focus on it when you could pump Dex and gain much better benefits?

Because Strength gets you damage and a lot of it and Dex doesn't. While you can supplement lack of dex with armor AND rogues already supplement lack of dex with improved evasion (which is like having infinite dex) and high reflex save allowing you to beat out even dex fighter.

And a strength Rogue also has the major advantage of being useful in "all" situations as opposed to "most"

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: February 15, 2016, 12:57:44 am »

Made a revenant race with variants for 5e because the homebrew one on the D&D wiki and the one in the monster manual suck ass. It prevents you from having games with a party that stays together for a long period of time. I'll leave it in a code thing for you guys, but the main reason why I did it was I liked the Revenant from 4e, but when I looked at it in the monster manual, I got turned off by a few things. One: they had innate regen. This instantly makes the race unplayable unless you remove it, which causes people to complain because it doesn't "follow the actual creature". Two: they die within a year or when they fulfill their revenge. Again, this limits you from having a good, solid party that can build and grow over time. Instead, you're stuck with a guy who will probably spearhead the party however he wants. This also kind of leads to point three: they're only fueled by revenge, whereas the 4e Revenant could be risen for a goal other than revenge. It REALLY limits character building and forces your revenant to be what the original idea was: to play as Eric Draven from The Crow. Four: you revive without the use of items within 24 hours, and you just get back to killing. This means you don't need revival spells if your party sticks near your target or if you can get to your party fast enough since you still remember them. Thats also point five: you don't have any mystery with your Revenant, you just remember things in life and you're too pissed off to care and you just want to murder people. Its boring, its overdone, and it really takes away character building.

My goal was to do the following: reformat the monster manual's revenant to a playable race and remove/change little. Make that one variant. Make another variant that fixes or removes the problems with the monster manual revenant that makes it playable and base it off of the 4e one with some changes that makes it more 5e friendly. Add some flavor, looks and basic storyline ideas (Aka, the fact the monster manual ones are raised in Bhaal's favor and the ones like 4e's raised by The Raven Queen) and you got what I have given unto you.

Code: [Select]
Revenant:
Undying Soul – You are considered undead for creature type. However, you are immune to effects that would harm you for being undead, such as turn/destroy undead. When you are knocked to 0hp, you do not fall unconscious right away, and instead fall unconscious at the end of your next turn.
Past Life – Select a race other than Revenant. You were this race in your past life
Ability Score Increase - You get a +1 to dexterity
Darkvision – You gain darkvision 60ft
Proficiencies/Languages/Skills – You gain all proficiencies that you had in your past life
Revenant Variants: Select Fury from Beyond the Grave or Duty from Beyond the Grave. Your size and Speed depend on which one you selected.
   - Fury from Beyond the Grave – You were wronged in your past life and seek revenge against your foes. You have one year after you awaken to get revenge against a target (which can be a single target or a group). These Revenants, returned to the mortal realm by the god Bhaal, look exactly as they did in life, regardless of the body they took in death, including all wounds and scars with an undead demeanor on them, making them much more intimidating than they were in life. Unlike the Duty from Beyond the Grave Revenants, they remember everything from their past life, including every single wrong done to them. These Revenants are made when their living souls died and the will of their soul desired murderous revenge more than anything, and/or Bhaal had a desire for more bloodshed
     o You know the distance and direction to your closest target at all times and what plane of existence they are on
     o Size: you are whatever size you were in your past life
     o Speed: You have the same speed as whatever you were in your past life
     o When you die, your body crumbles to dust like the disintegrate spell (your belongings remain where you were) and you reawaken after 24 hours in a random corpse on the same plane that you died on. In this time, someone can force your soul to go to the afterlife if they use a wish spell. You cannot be revived through the powers of the resurrection or revivify spell, even to revive your revenant body
     o If you fail to kill your target within a year, or all of your targets are killed, you turn to dust as the disintegrate spell, though your belongings remain and you cannot be revived
     o You gain a +1 charisma
   - Duty from Beyond the Grave – You are inclined to fulfill an action that was something you either failed to do in life or the Raven Queen has sent for you to do. You only remember snippets of your past life, and at certain points (DM’s discretion) you may remember more of your past life, especially when someone or something from your past life comes into effect. You also have more raven-like features, which may include, but not limited to, feathers on certain parts of your body, talon-like fingernails, raven-like feet, and others (Speak to your DM in regards to this), and you show very little features of what you looked like in your past life. These Revenants rise when a duty that needed to be fulfilled in life outweighed their desires of a peaceful afterlife and/or the Raven Queen decides that you have a task that needs to be done
     o When you die, you can be revived by spells such as true resurrection and revivify, but you return as a revenant instead of your body in your past life. If you are not revived, you are brought back in a new body within a year’s time (minimum of 1 day). You retain all memories you had during your life as a revenant. Just like the Fury from Beyond the Grave Revenant, during this time, your soul can be forced to the afterlife if a wish spell is cast on you during your time of vulnerability, but before the halfway mark
     o Size: you are size medium
     o Speed: 30ft
     o Once per day, you may maximize a hit die roll during a short rest equal to your proficiency bonus per day. You can only use the maximize effect once. When you use this maximized heal effect, you can re-attach severed limbs
     o Gain a +1 to constitution

Wizard/Barbarian?
Isn't that what a bloodrager is?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 623