Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 912730 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1020 on: December 01, 2015, 06:21:13 am »

Visit your local boardgame or comic store. If they don't host a group of some sort, they'll probably know someone who does.
If you're a uni student, your school will almost certainly have a tabletop club.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: December 01, 2015, 06:33:33 am »

Visit your local boardgame or comic store. If they don't host a group of some sort, they'll probably know someone who does.
If you're a uni student, your school will almost certainly have a tabletop club.
Ah thanks, there is a boardgame store near where I live, I go check the next time I am there

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: December 01, 2015, 06:42:47 am »

And FG&RP has play by post games, too.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: December 01, 2015, 07:05:05 am »

Cohort character concept:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: December 01, 2015, 01:28:36 pm »

Cohort character concept:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They are the only church, apart from the baptists, to do respray jobs
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: December 22, 2015, 11:35:21 pm »

Been playing a mythic Pathfinder campaign, and have been wondering. What sort of cheese could you pull off with the Human's "Racial Heritage" feat, as well as its mythic version?

There are plenty of humanoid-type races with spectacular abilities. Assuming it means any humanoid-typed-creature, rather than strictly playable ones. Even so, Troll regeneration is at the top of my mind. Or a Drow Noble's spell-like abilities.

Humans are basically the Ditto of most fantasy universes, aren't they?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: December 23, 2015, 01:04:22 am »

(Disclaimer, I only know 3.5e but I assume this is all still true)  (EDIT:  Apparently it is not  :o)

That's pretty interesting, but seems to be limited by "humanoid".  Trolls aren't humanoids, at least in 3.5e - they're giants.  Goblins and Drow are humanoid though.  Goblins are *also* "goblinoid", a subclass of "humanoid", and Drow are of the subclass "elf".

I'm afraid you'll find that humanoids, when they have special abilities at all, tend to have underwhelming ones.

A Drow might be interesting, though?  There are a lot of drow-only feats in that Underdark book, though most of them leverage their natural spell-like abilities.  I wonder if all the spell-like abilities counts as one "racial trait", I'd assume so.  Might be more worthwhile to take the spell resistance, though.  It even scales by level which is nice (11+class levels, and you're dodging the level adjustment or whatever Pathfinder does).  Worth two feats?  Maybe not, but you do get to count as a drow for classes and feats.

You also speak Undercommon and Drow (and Elven).  And... at least *access* to Drow Sign Language, which may have interesting applications.  The feat says you get all "racial languages", but Drow Sign Language isn't automatic even for Drow.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:18:39 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: December 23, 2015, 01:10:40 am »

In Pathfinder, Giants are a subtype of Humanoids. Caught me by surprise, actually, sine I assumed they were Monstrous Humanoids.

E: Looking through all of the humanoids, there aren't too many abilities that are extremely cheesy outside of specific scenarios.

I'd probably sooner go for flavour over being overly OP anyways, so that doesn't bother me too much. The power level of mythic campaigns are already screwy enough.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:01:41 am by BlackFlyme »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: December 23, 2015, 08:15:15 am »

Yesterday, we played deendee again.

We started off with me in the woods being chased by dire squirrels (don't ask). Meanwhile , the party assassinated the local blacksmith (the rogue being reduced to 0hp three times in the process) and looted his shop. The rogue critically failed his search roll and tripped into a pile of blades, and was reduced to 0hp a fourth time.

Meanwhile, having killed the dire squirrels, I arrived back in town, just as they finished hiding the evidence by dumping the blacksmith's body in the forge. At this point, the rogue rolls a 1 again and goes back down to 0hp. I Lay On Hands him back to mostly-healed-ville, and we head out (Paladin none the wiser that they murdered a guy.)

The next town over, following a treasure map, the party makes a beeline for the general store. A bunch of party members get thrown out, and then a gigantic brawl breaks out between the shopkeeper and his bodyguard, and the rest of the party (I think he was trying to cheat us on prices?).  The guard went down to sneak attack and being hit in the face, and I leaped the table screaming "REPENT MOTHERFUCKER" and smote the shopkeeper with a mace. He survived, actually, or at least until the dragonborn rogue got bored and just breathed acid over the both of us, melting the shopkeeper and making my magic armor unpleasantly scarred.

The 7 intelligence barbarian then bluffed the town guard that the burning-down shop had been attacked by mystery assailants who weren't us, and we sent them chasing back to the town we came from.

After this, the barbarian picked up a girlfriend at the bar and we went looking for the treasure. We found it buried underneath the tree, and found that the treaure chest contained a safe. We dealt with this by smashing it open and hoping.

Inside was a bunch of money and a necklace. The barbarian gave the necklace to his girlfriend, at which point she started acting by gollum. He tried to use his 16 strength to remove it, but apparently it was unbreakable or something and that ended messily.

We went back to town bar and considered our options while the barbarian and the cleric went to pick up more girls.

While they were doing that I kicked down the door and shouted "COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIVE" in order to attract a squire (having hit 3rd level and become an actual paladin)

I rolled 20 on the charisma check and a guy with a sword leaped up and pledged alleigance to me on the spot.

then  the fucking rogue stuck his head in the bar and breathed acid on all the other patrons.

We ended it there.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: December 24, 2015, 05:23:17 am »

The barbarian gave the necklace to his girlfriend, at which point she started acting by gollum. He tried to use his 16 strength to remove it, but apparently it was unbreakable or something and that ended messily.

Those three words convey so much. This is why I love tabletop RPGs. Bravo sir, bravo.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: December 24, 2015, 05:33:56 am »

...Okay so we're playing again.

The DM's modified the AD&D Temple of Elemental Evil to Pathfinder. Sort of. It's kicking my ass, and my ass specifically.

First, my scout-druid gets eaten alive by a giant dire frog. At level 1. But I got better - A druid could reincarnate me. And I came back human!

Then, the very next session, a giant black widow drops on me, and I get poisoned. 4 CON out the window. I want to rest at least some of it off, but the group wants to press on. So we do.

And then we find the next of a Giant King Cobra. Rather, I do. And I get bitten. And it does CON.

I fail all but one save of the 1d3 CON damage. The DM rolls a 3 on the last dice, which would have killed me. But he played nice and rerolled once. He rolls a one, leaving me with 1 CON.

...Thankfully, at this point, we have some potions of Lesser Restoration, and Levelling up heals you like a day of rest. So I managed to get all 14 CON back. FUck, that sucked.

Then, of course, we run into an ogre with a weapon that deals 3d8. Again, no one has over 50 HP. So naturally I'm the one who gets targetted. But I escape through a crack in the wall, and I monkeyfish my way up the wall to get out of his attack range, because I was left with 2 HP. But then the monk threw a few ninja stars at him and he died.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: December 28, 2015, 12:56:23 am »

As a Longtooth shifter, I bit into a spectre and attempted to grapple it, pissing off my DM. I also proceeded to throw dynamite (I don't know how it's in a fantasy setting but it is) and blew up a zombie ogre by shoving them inside its exposed innards. And I had 30lbs of dynamite and I have 15lbs left over after the fight, so you can see how much explosive power was used.

I then proceeded to eat this guy's face who was part of this faction my character absolutely hates. I also rescued a puppy from the dungeon crawl and now he's my companion. I'm a Longtooth shifter barbarian who eats people's faces and has a puppy animal companion
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: January 01, 2016, 10:34:57 pm »

Pathfinder. Swarms. To Hell with them. It was stated in the statblock that those damned abyssal vermin were immune to all forms of physical damage. And had 19 Spell Resistance, plus Resist 10 Everything. We were level 6. With only one blaster caster. Ah well, we plowed through it. Took quite a while to do so, however. Then got ambushed in the night by a scorpion demon. Almost killed our Oracle, leaving him exactly at zero after grappling him, dealing grapple damage while holding him in our campfire.

Gained a level, stomped some demon cultists in the Mass Combat section of the Adventure Path. Or rather, our Cavalier did, since no-one else had any ranks in Profession (Soldier).

I tried to take a peacock. Or rather, I took Eldritch Heritage and wanted to give up my first-level ability for a Bloodline Familiar, but the DM decided not to allow the splatbook that rule came from. No blame, but I'm not fond of first-level Bloodline abilities in general. None of the Bloodlines are too useful for me, but I have a high Charisma and have no useful feats to take as a blaster caster. Not that a familiar would be too useful. Until I could take Improved Familiar and grab a Wysp, that is.

Also tried asking about my limits for the Racial Heritage feat. Was told I could choose playable races only, and they had to come from the Advanced Race Guide. Also, no, I was not allowed a Drow Noble. Nor any of the creatures in the back of the book, since they were purely to show what could be made with the book's Race Creation Rules.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 623