Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 921704 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #585 on: July 29, 2015, 10:54:59 pm »

"Oh, hey, guys, you know that 50'000 gold you've been saving up for three months to buy that airship with?"

"Yeah, what about it? We've been looking forward to that, and we're almost there, so hopefully next encounter will give us enough."

"Weeelll, most of it sort of vanished. You now have 500."

They're gonna like that.
Replace the 50,000 gold airship with 250,000 gold as it seems to stand right now. Party won't lose THAT much at a time, but they'll notice it enough. Probably like 15-30 gold at a time, maybe more when they finish that side quest.
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 29, 2015, 10:57:06 pm »

That's a fair point, really.

Though, yeah, monks are super fun to play. I just prefer them in Net games where all your utility is more likely to become useful. I love the idea of the Shadow monks, too. They can become invisible AT-WILL while in dim light or darker, and can teleport AT-WILL from one area of dim light to another within 60 feet.

At level... 4? 250K? What are you smokin' Max, that's insane even for 4E. O_O
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 30, 2015, 12:14:12 am »

No no, i mean the airship is going to cost that much.

Everything is like 5x its regular amount, and some others even more so. I manage to balence it in 4e with the lack of items being readily available. So when they go to shops and stuff, they don't get whatever they want, but they get whats in the shops inventory

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 30, 2015, 12:24:22 am »

3.5 has that as well... but it is rarely enforced

Heck technically players are supposed to pay for their healing.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 30, 2015, 11:08:42 pm »

Damage reduction / common thing

Is probably something that has always rubbed me the wrong way.

In 5e at LEAST damage reduction/magic is something that could conceivably pop up (and as such they REALLY improved it)...

But in 3.5 unless you were at incredibly low levels... you had a magic weapon.

It made it feel very pointless.

I actually liked Damage reduction / Blank. The monster was resistant to weak blows and could conceivably shrug off minimal rolls.. as well in 4e they had multiple ways to get through damage reduction.

Damage Reduction/Magic really might as well not exist... the ONLY things that proxy that are physical spells.

OR They need to revert it to something like how it worked in 3.0, where it couldn't be just any magic weapon, it had to have a certain minimum enhancement bonus
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 31, 2015, 01:59:42 am »

I wish they had a section for healing in the CR ratings...

My BEST attempt to rectify it is if a creature can use an action to heal, and is going to, that it essentially aborts its third turn to do so on the damage scale.

But it only matters if it can possibly push the HP to a different CR scale... Otherwise I just use the damage.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:21:26 am by Neonivek »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 01, 2015, 09:46:13 pm »

Another game night. Swapped my oracle out to try out the kineticist.

Really not a fan of the burn mechanic, though my constitution is absolutely ridiculous. The damage output may not seem that great either, but a conductive-enchanted weapon helps out with that a lot.

Still, it was only one session, so I'll try it out a bit more and see how I feel about it after another few. For now, I just said that my oracle went semi-insane and locked himself in the ship's workshop, cackling incoherently about making the most perfect set of Graveknight armour. There's also a request box he left outside the door in case anyone wants any crafting done.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 01, 2015, 09:52:59 pm »

So I just crit 5 times fighting a giant centipede inside a catfolk ruin with a sunblade while at 8hp left. We also met the worlds equivalent of Penn and Teller who had us play a game to get their cooperation. They also hate the Elf nazis.

Did I mention that no one in my party knows catfolk? Apparently I became a translator since I'm the only one who put any score into linguistics. So i made sure the party didn't have to go back into town to find someone to translate the ruins.

Also, that guy got pissed off at me because he hands me an artifact that's literally Jack Sparrow's compass (it shows you what you most desire) and I lose it to the Nazi Colonel because he was going to kill my characters friend (otherwise, he would have let them expend their poison). Since my character desires revenge for his brother, it leads to his killer (who we were hunting anyway for an artifact he has). I tried to outsmart him by speaking in Auran, the language of the sky, and he knew it somehow. So because I logically put a compass in my pocket, like a normal person, everyone, ESPECIALY THAT GUY, got mad at me. He's more pissed that I lost it because he had to get the thing from the Nazis to begin with.

The thing was I was going to leave he party if I still had the compass to go search for my character's murderous brother to ask for him to come home for his brothers' final rest. Sadly, that won't happen. Good news is we found my brother's killer anyway! Huzzah!

Only gripe I have is everyone got mad at me and berates me for evil actions when I'm a chaotic neutral character, and yet the fucking summoner rips people apart for fun and he gets away with it. Like what the fuck is up with that!?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 01, 2015, 10:09:58 pm »

Is the summoner actually evil?

Still shit to have everyone else get mad at you while other players can do worse things and not have any repercussions.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 01, 2015, 10:38:35 pm »

Balance it with good actions
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 01, 2015, 11:15:55 pm »

He's the same alignment as me: chaotic neutral.

And I do plenty of good acts. No one recognizes them though. And most of them don't pertain to the party but my wolf and his bonds with some characters. My character is afraid of getting close to people because he watched his older brother die and he takes it as his own fault. He doesn't want that hurt to happen again, but he's getting close with the summoner and even told him his death wish if he is killed in the next session

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 03, 2015, 09:04:59 pm »

Been reading the Occult Adventures more intently, and some things about the kineticist just irk me. Not like the burn, as it can be mitigated in ways, and is ultimately there for balance. It's just that some of the features feel incomplete.

One that I've seen brought up a few times is that most of the four elements are included, those elements being fire, cold, and electricity, but there is no acid. Earth just lets you throw rocks at people, being one of the two schools that only offer a physical based simple blast, with the other school being telekinetic. Then again, fire is the only school with only an energy based simple blast. Not that I can think of any fire-based physical alternatives. Air and water both have one physical based and one energy based simple blast.

Another is that building your kineticist in the wrong way can potentially cripple you. If you were to choose electricity as your first simple blast, earth as your second, and cold as your third, you would never be able to do a composite blast, as there are no composite blasts that include electricity and earth, electricity and cold, or earth and cold. I would prefer it if you were able to access all of your chosen schools' simple blasts, either by default or as one of the kinetic talents that you get while leveling. If you can get the defensive abilities of other schools through a talent, I do not see why you can't get other blasts the same way.

Not exactly something that would completely ruin your characters, but this stuff does bug me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 03, 2015, 09:07:01 pm »

I will admit that sometimes dungeons and dragons feels oddly exclusionary of Water and Earth... Often relegating them to "acid"...

5e is a BIT, a very tiny bit, better... but no it still goes the "But water doesn't have water damage!" route

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 03, 2015, 09:13:59 pm »

Another is that building your kineticist in the wrong way can potentially cripple you. If you were to choose electricity as your first simple blast, earth as your second, and cold as your third, you would never be able to do a composite blast, as there are no composite blasts that include electricity and earth, electricity and cold, or earth and cold.
(I have no idea how kineticists work, and I also hate options in RPGs that turn out to be horrible.  There should be warnings.)
Electricity and earth is an obvious conflict...  Electricity and cold I can kinda see being incompatible.  But earth and cold?  There should be "composite blasts" that use that, as those elements are well related.  Almost anywhere on the Earth you can dig down a few feet and things will be cool.  That's why cellars were a thing.  A friend of mine even made a heat pump air conditioner which piped water through a coil in a pit.  Didn't turn out to be efficient, but still.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 03, 2015, 09:19:30 pm »

It's probably because water and earth ultimately do physical damage. I mean, I guess you could argue the same thing about... Something, can't remember what.

Think of it this way, there are clear differences in what actually happens with (most of) the other damage types.

Electricity - Electrocution, different to
Fire - Burns, different to
Ice - Freezes, different to
Acid - (Chemical) burns/melts, different to
Radiant - Weird rotting energy (fantasy element) different to
Necrotic - Weird holy energy (fantasy element) different to
Poison - Inhibits certain parts of biological processes via (usually) blocking enzymes from doing their jobs.

I disagree with Thunder being a damage type, for the most part.

Please explain the meaningful differences between Water and Earth damage? I mean, you can cop out and go "Different types of magickal energeh" but are their any, relevant, real-word differences? As far as I can tell, the differences are mostly the same as between hitting someone with a chair or a sword, a club or a whiteboard, a pencil or  an arrow. It might be slashing, it might be piercing, it might be bludgeoning, but ultimately it's all physical kinetic-energy based external damage. No chemical differences.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 623