Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Post your super-elaborate traps here!  (Read 3723 times)

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
Post your super-elaborate traps here!
« on: December 02, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »

I'm currently experimenting with a fire spirit in a cage and a booze stockpile. Trouble is, I can't really test it without losing all my booze. It's something like this:

code:

|
     []
-----| |---  
  BBB  K
--------P---

[] = Cage
- = Floor
B = Booze
P = Pressure Plate

Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post your super-elaborate traps here!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »

Well, I have a fairly elaborate merchant trap right now.

After figuring out merchants don't need to eat, I changed my trade Depot from a lockable box to a much more lethal box.

The shortest way to my base is lockable from a floodgate and a lever just outside. There are two bridges on another side, over a 5 z pit. All other sides are walled off. When I don't like the merchants, I lock the floodgate, and then open the first bridge, which is a retractable bridge that goes over the chasm.

When they try to leave, I open that bridge, then set a drawbridge that pushes the merchants into the pit, and set the lever to repeat. Even though the bridge is slow to raise and lower, it is long enough to ensure that the merchants don't make it off.

After they fall into the pit, any survives will have to face a repeating Upright Spike Trap that covers the floor. Once they are all dead, I oppen the two forbidden doors and harvest all the stuff.

Unfortunately, I just finished it so I have only killed 3 human swordsmen so far. I used their unwieldable weapons in traps   :D

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »

I use sideways placed bridges to send invaders and merchants flying into an otherwise inaccesible alcove. Then i force them to empty their quivers by stationing a recruit behind 10 rows of solid fortifications(chance of an arrow getting through is near zero). After that i just close the floodgates infront of the alcove so they don't scare dwarves and i wait for the next wave to be added to my collection. Right now, the titan in there is having a fun time with the goblins i'm feeding him.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »

Nice! In my next fortress, I'm going to make my depot in a flooding chamber. Love those things.

ofudd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

is there any negative trade consequence to killing merchants?  ie they will still come back with goodies?

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ofudd:
<STRONG>is there any negative trade consequence to killing merchants?  ie they will still come back with goodies?</STRONG>

Kill the elves... they're useless  :)  Keep the dwarves... as you can import metal bars/log esp when you are lacking in such in your map.

humans... well.... I do keep them around since they seem to like buying my junk (training ballista parts and inferior obsidian shortswords)...

Anyway, coming back to the drawbridge thing, can anybody describe in more detail how the throwing works?  and does the reversed crushing effect destroys all items?

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 12:10:00 am »

Humans are also nice because they can bring very large amounts of logs at once, whereas the dwarves can't.  That's really all I use human caravans for.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 08:03:00 am »

Humans and elves will get pissed off and come and siege you if you kill them too often (or maybe only when you kill their diplomats). Elven sieges suck. Dwarves coming near them will end up looking like hedgehogs. And dead.
Dwarves will never siege their kin... Yet.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 08:19:00 am »

The dwarfs are waiting, thye know every trade mission might be their last but they are waiting. The mad dwarf doctors are making a Carp/Giant Spider/Elephant creature to send to the dwarfs that kill them.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 09:44:00 am »

So does that mean that it must be a bug that my frienly local Elven traders brought logs and empty barrels?

ERoberts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 04:49:00 pm »

I have this idea I'm working on: I edited the raw to make cats trainable, because I want to drop a kobold into a pit of War-Cats and see what happens...

Next I want to try War-Cows.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »

I got a complete set of outdoor seeds from my elves..  I don't know what everyone's complaining about..

Leif

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 04:38:44 am »

Saw this on the back page.
Indeed.

Leif

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 04:39:26 am »

Had to bring it to the front
Indeed.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 05:25:58 am »

I made a rathr nice Drowning trap in my depot, Without using Mechanisms, As i was having trouble getting past the aquifier.

It was essentially a 5X5X2 water tower, above a 5X6X1 Depot area. It worked by having a two blockthick wall on the northen wall of the first level of the water tower,using a door my dwarves could remove one of the walls at a diagonal allowing the water into the depot and drowning all who were trapped there. I used bucket brigades and wells to get the water from a nearby brook. Later I used pump stacks and aquaducts.
Pages: [1] 2