Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Lighthouse: The Age of Destiny, the Age of Ruin (OOC Thread. Game Started!)  (Read 20879 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Holistic security makes me think of a certain Holistic Detective Agency. What makes it genius is that you could totally justify using the exact same methods as said agency, even with the statement of intent. Especially given that Joan has Voice of Doubt.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Holistic security makes me think of a certain Holistic Detective Agency. What makes it genius is that you could totally justify using the exact same methods as said agency, even with the statement of intent. Especially given that Joan has Voice of Doubt.
I shall sit here and whistle a very innocuous tune.

I have no idea about this at all and I am amazed by how similar it is!
...This is a webcomic? I recall 'holistic' being used in a webcomic I didn't read but heard.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:48:30 am by Tiruin »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, it's something else entirely. Probably best not to read the plot summary, as it is a mystery, but suffice it to say that the idea of holistic detective work is that everything in the world is connected, and thus you can very often stumble on insights about a certain thing while doing something seemingly unrelated, and that you can argue that anything at all could be pertinent to the case in question - as such, you can bill any such seemingly unrelated expenses to your current client.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 02:56:54 am by Harry Baldman »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...You got how I envisioned the general working order of my plans :P
But I did not anticipate the bill.

...I am not good with money matters.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Edited my bio to match the White Company.
Not sure whether Joan would approve of his last reason for joining the White Company, but that just makes it more interesting :p

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's a good idea, actually. Added a paragraph to explain Mudren's potential joining of the White Company.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We can't all join, though. I mean, if you were, say, the second person to sign on, wouldn't that be more like helping create the White Company, rather than being a new hire?

Re survival gear: Any single expedition to the Darklands would probably be organized around one or more big fat storage crystals, since most greater tech needs light and a full Darklands crew outfitted with nothing but lesser gear would be tantamount to suicide. Several expeditions, each leaving light caches for the next one would let you travel deeper, but runs the risk of having the caches behind you ending up tainted, stranding you. Personal gear would probably include a waterskin-sized storage crystal capable of powering a personal warmer for extended periods of time in the event that the fur coat or other passive insulator is insufficient. Other than that, probably some combination of standard, arctic, and mountain survival stuff (durable tents, flares, rope, etc) with a few good really big monster countermeasures.

Edit: Hey, Draignean, what's a reasonable storage rate on crystals? How big would the big fat one have to be on our budget?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:57:53 am by The Ensorceler »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

I admit this was my first thought as well... Hell, it could work. She can't have an I-Ching calculator wristwatch, but everything else would be possible as long as morality was a secondary concern.

We can't all join, though. I mean, if you were, say, the second person to sign on, wouldn't that be more like helping create the White Company, rather than being a new hire?

The sounds like a fine idea, but you'll have to talk to Tir about it.

Re survival gear: Any single expedition to the Darklands would probably be organized around one or more big fat storage crystals, since most greater tech needs light and a full Darklands crew outfitted with nothing but lesser gear would be tantamount to suicide. Several expeditions, each leaving light caches for the next one would let you travel deeper, but runs the risk of having the caches behind you ending up tainted, stranding you. Personal gear would probably include a waterskin-sized storage crystal capable of powering a personal warmer for extended periods of time in the event that the fur coat or other passive insulator is insufficient. Other than that, probably some combination of standard, arctic, and mountain survival stuff (durable tents, flares, rope, etc) with a few good really big monster countermeasures.

Edit: Hey, Draignean, what's a reasonable storage rate on crystals? How big would the big fat one have to be on our budget?

That looks like a reasonable list of precautions. It'll get colder and colder the deeper you go, and your caches have to be shielded in order to prevent Soul Rippers from detecting their heat/light and devouring them. 

As for a primary storage crystal, that's a pretty heavy cost. Only needs to be paid once unless you break it, but you should probably have a plan to pay the crystal down before you buy it. A medium well can provide light for a solid 24 hours before it runs down. A crystal capable of providing light for a week would cost less than 7 medium wells, but not by a lot. 450 C at the low end, and capable of holding 350 points of light in storage.
Just, whatever you do, don't drop the thing.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nimvedih also has some decent light storage, and can probably help make the crystal (thus reducing the cost).

Tiruin, I've listed my items in a separate post from my sheet. If I'm accepted, I'll vote for some misc. scrap materials that are undefined until needed.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nimvedih also has some decent light storage, and can probably help make the crystal (thus reducing the cost).

Tiruin, I've listed my items in a separate post from my sheet. If I'm accepted, I'll vote for some misc. scrap materials that are undefined until needed.

Growing crystals really isn't the specialty of an artificer. Moreover, the more power you want a crystal to be able to hold, the slower you have to grow it. It could take a year or more of careful supervision to grow a sufficiently large crystal for a darklands run.

You can have random parts, and you can have specific parts, but you can't have Schroedinger's parts.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Improved sheet again. Now with a reason for why someone like Hans would work for the White Company. Also expanded the biography quite a bit and added a bit more stuff in the personality section.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think 2 more days would be ok for everyone? Or 3? Depending on Draignean here :)

But of note: You don't have to edit your bio to specifically mention interaction with the White Company--even unedited sheets are pretty much OK (for some?)! Umm...to be a bit more specific, what I know from the PMs we exchanged was that the belief and purpose isn't...fully initiated yet. It's like the 'start' of the creation of the Merc outfit.
So what I meant by 'interaction' was more like 'editing your bio to have already had experience with the White Company'. We can easily make due with this in the Introduction (as hinted by Draignean, In my personal suspicions, I believe that also means anyone waitlisted can also speak then?)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd love to have the crew picked out by the end of the weekend. I have some time off, so I can write a bit more freely than I normally could. You should, however, take all the time you need to be sure.

To clear up any confusion (In all honesty, Tir, I find myself confused by your last paragraph.), the five people you choose for the team will already be members of the White Company during the prologue. They may be completely raw, and the entire company may have only worked one or two small-time jobs before this, but they will start as full members. After the prologue things will skip forward a year or two, to a time when the White Company is reasonably established.

To those who are waitlisted... I have plans for some of you, should you get passed over, but only the selected six get to be part of the prologue. You may come up later in the game, but, you'll be taking a bit of a breather for the beginning section.

---

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think 2 more days would be ok for everyone? Or 3? Depending on Draignean here :)

But of note: You don't have to edit your bio to specifically mention interaction with the White Company--even unedited sheets are pretty much OK (for some?)! Umm...to be a bit more specific, what I know from the PMs we exchanged was that the belief and purpose isn't...fully initiated yet. It's like the 'start' of the creation of the Merc outfit.
So what I meant by 'interaction' was more like 'editing your bio to have already had experience with the White Company'. We can easily make due with this in the Introduction (as hinted by Draignean, In my personal suspicions, I believe that also means anyone waitlisted can also speak then?)
Could Nimvedih be on his first mission in the prologue? I want to put emphasis on his weirdness, but the team already being used to it kind of detracts from the effect.

((Actual reason: I'm terrible at writing backstories.))
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:44:45 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could Nimvedih be on his first mission in the prologue? I want to put emphasis on his weirdness, but the team already being used to it kind of detracts from the effect.

((Actual reason: I'm terrible at writing backstories.))
One doesn't need to be in a mission to emphasize a certain quality about a person ^ ^
It can manifest in very innocuous and mundane situations. That, and creating an outfit is a mission in itself. :P

...Because I'm unsure what you mean by 'mission' (That, and Draignean is the one in charge here. I just pick the people along with me for the prologue while the other 5[?] will do SUPER SECRET THINGS IN PMs with Draignean).
Which is very hard.
Because all these sheets are nice. :I
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15