Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Lighthouse: The Age of Destiny, the Age of Ruin (OOC Thread. Game Started!)  (Read 20886 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Hmm... I'll roll something to determine what I end up going with, since I'm gonna base a character off of my old old concepts of characters based off of the months, and see where that leads me. Should I stick with May, though, I do think I could make the whole blade thing work. Let's see... January. Alright, I've got an idea for this one, then, and I think I'll go with a mage sort of character.

It does mean he'll be a bit of a cold jerk, though.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:02:49 am by Powder Miner »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Sounds very interesting. Consider my interest piqued.

Probably going to submit a sheet, too.

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nice, but a few points.
Your attributes sum to 90, is that because you've accommodated for your armor already?

The cost of your current armor should be 10, not 20. Point cost only doubles if you're purchasing the soak type that is already a multiple of three.

I'd normally charge something around 35 for a greater lockpicking set, but, if yours is a little bit incomplete, I'll let it go for 25. The rest of your misc. items... I'll charge thirty for the lot. So you'll have 25 C that will potentially get converted into coinage
Sorry, I was doing my math in my head. I don't know where the extra 10 points came from.
Let me check again; 24(STR) + 12(FIN) = 36 + 32(SPD) -10(race) = 58 +9(GRC) - 5(race) = 62 +5(WIS) -5(race) = 62 +8(BRL) = 70
Huh? Oh, I see. You were counting my racial stats as part of the attributes sum, and I forgot 10 points. I wasn't compensating for the armor, no; I guess I'll add 3 points to Finnesse and Grace, and 2 points to Speed and Strength.

Hmm. Again I must have messed up my math.
Vs Blades: 15
Vs Blunt: 15
Speed+Finesse: -10
Grace: -10
Ah, you're right. I also see where I messed up. I had meant to include Vs Polearms 2 (cost 10)

Since Fanai have claws designed for cutting and teeth for tearing, I was actually thinking of not buying weapons at first and changing the specialization skill to [Claws], or having my claws and teeth statted as [Sharp] weapons. This would make sense from a fluff standpoint where some of his teeth are sharpened iron. If I got these statted (and prices set on using them as such), I'd drop the sword and maul from my inventory.

I think 30 is a fine price for that lockpick set; more complete than not but some still missing.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

You can't take a specialization in anything other than the given six weapon types, for the sake of my sanity. The Fanai, however, do make weapons designed to accentuate their natural abilities, but getting one now would cost as much as a greater weapon.

Otherwise, you can change the flavor of your steel blade to being your sharpened teeth and talons.

As for the lockpick set, fair enough. Slightly more effective, but not full strength, lockpick set for 30. Done.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Hm. I think I might do two characters, one with ambitions of captaincy, and then another in case that one doesn't quite make it.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Having finished my skills section, I must comment that the human skill point bonus is absolutely bonkers.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Having finished my skills section, I must comment that the human skill point bonus is absolutely bonkers.

How so?

Edit: Oh. Oops. I said skill when I meant attribute. Those are 10 attribute points, not skill points.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:22:47 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've hit Avernomantic level 3, Arbitomantic level 3, and Scholar level 2. It's gonna be great.
Hail of Avernomantic spells and then a complex Arbitomantic spell thrown in every now and then, plus understanding magic well.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, as I edited in my earlier post, that was a misfire. Humans get an extra level of attribute points, not an extra five levels of skill points. Sorry about that.
---

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

haha, alright. More wisdom for me.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Finished sheet

Spoiler: Hans Godreiche (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Armour (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I improved my sheet a bit.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:22:56 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Lara Kal Gara, Jov, and Hans sound like they'd be a REALLY interesting group. :P Lara would treat the others as sub-sentient scum and pack animals, or else just as weaponized animals, Jov would have loyalty issues and try to hurt everyone else whenever possible and basically act AS a weaponized animal, and Hans would basically try to dissect Jov and everyone else and turn them into weaponized animals. :P
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel like Lora Kal Gara and Jannary would have very... interesting interactions with each other, considering Lora's thing is "slave races are inferior" and Jannary's thing is "humans (a former slave race) are NOT inferior"

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Second: What should I do about combat?.... I seem to be failing to get a good grasp on how combat works and how stats affect it

Since I'm bored with nothing else to do I guess I'll try to explain how combat works here for you.

As you probably got from the example, the first step in combat is the accuracy check

Code: [Select]
Archer to-hit: 75+15-23 = 67%
Archer attack roll = 74 Miss!

Now the first thing that is calculated here is your total accuracy

75+15

To calculate your accuracy go to the stats of your weapon, let's say the massive hammer and look at it's accuracy stat

Accuracy: 35+ [ProficiencyMult][1.5*GRC + 1.25*FIN + 0.75*BRI]

Now you may look at this and ask yourself what does it this mean? Well the 35 is the weapons base accuracy and the gibberish that follows afterwards is the equation to determine what I will call the accuracy modifier.

GRC stands for grace, FIN stands for finess, and BRI stands for Brilliance. So let's fill these values into the equation (your stats specifically)

[1.5*GRC + 1.25*FIN + 0.75*BRI]
[1.5*10 + 1.25*10+ 0.75*20]
[15 + 12.25+ 15]
[15 + 12.25+ 15]
[42.25]

Ok, so now that that's done we must multiply this by your weapon proficiency modifier. It is currently zero, so all of your stats are completely meaningless and you get an accuracy modifier of 0 (you can get a weapon proficiency modifier by going through something like cadet training)

So in total, your accuracy is 35

Next, the enemy's evasion is subtracted from your total accuracy

Archer to-hit: 75+15-23
That is the -23.

To calculate your evasion, use this equation.

Evasion: 0 + (0.5*SPD + 0.3*GRC + 0.2*BRI)

Now let's fill it with your stats.

0 + (0.5*10 + 0.3*10 + 0.2*20)
0 + (5 + 3 + 4)
0 + (12)

Therefore, you have an evasion of 12 and will give your enemies a -12 penalty to their attacks against you

Now let's assume you are attacking your doppleganger.

Lora to-hit: 35-12 = 23%
After your percentage chance is calculated, a d100 is then rolled. If the rolled number is lower than the percentage chance, then the attack hits. If it rolls higher...

Lora attack roll = 74 Miss!
then the attack misses (I do not know what happens when you roll equal numbers)

Now let's assume that by some blessing from RNGsus the attack managed to hit, then the next thing that is calculated is whether or not the attack is a crit.

Lora attack roll = 13 Hit!
Crit: 7-6 = 1
Crit Attack Roll: 9. No Crit.

First you must calculate your crit ability. This happens by going to the weapon description and looking at it's crit stat

Crit Chance: 7 +[ProficiencyMult][0.25*FIN + 0.15*GRC + 0.1*BRI ]

You understand the routine, let's insert values into equations.

[0.25*FIN + 0.15*GRC + 0.1*BRI ]
[0.25*10 + 0.15*10 + 0.1*20]
[2.5 + 1.5 + 2]
[6]

Of course once again, since you don't have weapon proficency your crit modifier is 0 and your total crit chance is 7. Now it's time to subtract the enemies crit resistance.

You can calculate your crit resistance with this equation

Crit Resistance: 0 + (0.15*STR + 0.07*WIS + 0.03*SPD)

Let's fill it again

(0.15*STR + 0.07*WIS + 0.03*SPD)(0.15*30 + 0.07*20 + 0.03*10)
(4.5 + 1.4 + 0.3)
(6.2)
So therefore your crit resistance is 6 (all decimals are rounded down in all of the checks) meaning that you have to roll a 1 to get a crit with your hammer. (quite ironic when you consider the fact that your hammer has one of the best base crit stats of starting equipment).

After that it's the same d100 stuff that you remember and then damage is calculated. If you do get a crit, you then multiply damage by the crit damage bonus (you can figure it out on your own, hint: check your weapons stat)

Damage = 8-0 = 8
Lora Dopple RP = 9/17

Now you don't roll a dice to determine damage. You just calculate what your damage is through this equation

Damage: 8 + [ProficiencyMult][0.4*STR + 0.25 *SPD + 0.1*WIS]

[0.4*STR + 0.25 *SPD + 0.1*WIS]
[0.4*30 + 0.25 *10 + 0.1*20]
[12 + 2.5 + 2]
[18.5]
Numbers are still rounded down

Of course since you don't have a weapon proficency it is once again zero, but just look at that number! That's just the modifier. If you add the 8 base damage you end up dealing 26 damage in a single swing (that is a lot, like one-shotting a guy twice a lot).

After the damage is calculated you then subtract the enemies damage resistance. Since you haven't designated an armour for yourself at this point, there is no DR. At the end of that, you subtract the total damage from your enemies HP, no rolls required, nothing will change the damage any further other than crits.

So this is the final encounter

Damage = 8-0 = 8
Lora Dopple RP = 9/17

So in conclusion I hope this explanation of the rules helps you as well as anyone who is trying to follow FEF. I haven't explained everything such as how defend and counter works (even I don't understand them) but I hope you guys got one lesson from this: GET AT LEAST CADET SPECIALIZATION IN A WEAPON! (or magic, magic always works)

If you want an IC reason for it, let's just assume that you swung it around long enough and got a basic feel for the weapon. Unspecialized would probably be finding a random sword on the ground and swinging it at the first Hart you see.

PS: Gm can you look at my edited sheet and address any concerns?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:43:21 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:15:22 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PS: Gm can you look at my edited sheet and address any concerns?

Of course...

Hmm. I don't like having special abilities on starting armor, but that is a fairly reasonable, and very limited ability. You can have it, for an additional 15 C cost, and you have to buy particle filters for the mask at a cost of 5 C each. There is no rubber, (if the polymer would require oil, then it probably doesn't exist) but you can have enhanced leather: supple, sealed without seam or thread, and quite similar for most intents and purposes.

Large tent - 10 C
Week of Mutei Rations - 10 C
Mechanical Parts (Greater) - 35 C
Full Toolkit (lesser) -30 C
Lockbox w/ key - 10 C

Medical supplies... What kind are we talking? Are we talking about a glorified first aid kit with antiseptic, gauze, light bandages, collapsible splint, and a needle and thread? Or are we talking a trauma kit with actual drugs, simple surgery supplies (scalpel, amputation saw, forceps, clamps, etc), and that class of supply? Is it all cold steel and alchemy, the stuff of lesser technology; or are there cauterizing tools, light bladed scalpels, and arbitomatically purified and purposed medicine vials?

(snipped combat explanation)

Very nice, I appreciate the breakdown. The only thing changed is that rounding is done down when the decimal is below six, and up otherwise. As for defense and counters,

Defense will, at minimum, increase your EVA by 15. If you're defending against a melee attacker while wielding a melee weapon, then you might get a bonus based on your accuracy. If you're not wielding a melee weapon, or your attacker is at range, you might get a bonus based on your base EVA.

Counters work essentially as in FEF, except you have to use an action to get them. They're useful for attacking flying targets when you don't have a ranged weapon, and intercepting special abilities before they land in order to potentially break the attacker's focus. Also useful for just straight-up hitting people when you're too lazy to walk over to their domain and slap them around.

Also, for each one of the people that gets selected, you'll get a crib sheet like these two.
---
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15