Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3678 3679 [3680] 3681 3682 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108059 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #55185 on: June 25, 2020, 08:19:55 am »

No, Turk and JD are just friends, martinuzz

Anyway, thanks. I didn't actually know animals had sexualities too, so I'll check that later. I'm currently between forts. Is just that for the last two forts I'd have a turk sit on a batch of eggs for years and no hatchings. Very weird.
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55186 on: June 25, 2020, 10:24:44 am »

@piss, whats your embark size? Sound like you've planned it out ahead of time. Watch out the booze in good zones is very lethal.

I'd recommend your 1st tavern, be "civ only" at or near surface z level. As you progress deeper to cavern 1, do a "civ+guest" tavern with guest rooms, and then stick your "all" tavern between cavern layers.
Your 8 year old fort is easily longer than most of my forts.  fps has historically claimed my forts before anything else could.  Though my current pc is much more powerful than what Ive used in the past.

Ive settled on 6x6 as an embark site.  Im still getting 120 frames, which is my arbitrary cap, though when something tries to spam-path into my fort it can drop to ~50 until I either let it in/out or kill it.  or somethings, like packs mole dogs and bugbats most recently.  I have 2 light aquifer 'waterfalls' that I let evaporate after they strike my meeting area, and a cistern Im currently letting fill with another.  Light aquifers are almost all boon and no pain, as long as you dont let them flood.  And since water will evaporate, any reasonable passage is enough to let it air out.

I dont use the whole area, but I always feel like its more fitting for a fortress, which is supposed to have some control over the surrounding area, to actually simulate and include some of the surrounding area, even if I cant physically control other locations.

@scriver
tbh I just set orientations to always be reproductive.  capturing a monster for the purpose of breeding only to find out it wont and I cant husband it?  no thanks.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:27:03 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55187 on: June 25, 2020, 01:00:09 pm »

wow. i really need to get around to making a new fort with this update. looks like a lot of !!Fun!!
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55188 on: June 25, 2020, 07:28:32 pm »

If the turkey hen lays eggs before fertilization, then you need to collect the eggs and let the turkeys start over. This happened when I butchered the adult turkeys, and released full grown replacements. I think the hens were released first and rushed the nest boxes.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55189 on: June 25, 2020, 11:28:29 pm »

Should you dwarves REALLY be eating the necromancer experiments?
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55190 on: June 26, 2020, 12:12:03 am »

If the turkey hen lays eggs before fertilization, then you need to collect the eggs and let the turkeys start over. This happened when I butchered the adult turkeys, and released full grown replacements. I think the hens were released first and rushed the nest boxes.

Is there any way of knowing if they were fertiliser or not? I know in the stockpile menu there are options for "eggs (unfeertilised)" or whatever but I've never seen any eggs specify which it is.

I usually just let my birds hang in the dining hall, so it shouldn't have been an issue at that point in the game as there is only one meeting hall so they all hang in the same place.

I really wish there was a way to set "collect eggs/let roost" per chicken so you don't have to micromanage nest box claiming and catch the window of a few seconds after egg laying before a dorf collects the eggs for hauling.
Love, scriver~

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #55191 on: June 26, 2020, 04:43:34 am »

Is there any way of knowing if they were fertiliser or not? I know in the stockpile menu there are options for "eggs (unfeertilised)" or whatever but I've never seen any eggs specify which it is.

I usually just let my birds hang in the dining hall, so it shouldn't have been an issue at that point in the game as there is only one meeting hall so they all hang in the same place.

I really wish there was a way to set "collect eggs/let roost" per chicken so you don't have to micromanage nest box claiming and catch the window of a few seconds after egg laying before a dorf collects the eggs for hauling.

I just lock the birds in a room for a while until their population grows to where I need it to be, then open the door and let dwarves take whatever eggs they please.  Not too micro managey that way.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55192 on: June 26, 2020, 05:05:41 am »

I want only my biggest and fattest turkeys to breed. I guess I'll have to do that with locked doors too. God, such a hassle.
Love, scriver~

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55193 on: June 26, 2020, 05:14:50 am »

In my DF, if I view the eggs with [t] above the nestbox, it shows [Fertile] or [Not Fertile]. But I think this is a DFHack addition. I play with the lazy noob pack.

One option is to disable eggs in all of your food stockpiles, as well as in your kitchen menu for cooking. That solves the second problem, you will no longer need to hurry to rescue eggs before they are taken away.
Then you can forbid eggs that you want to be hatched, and enable hauling, to get rid of infertile eggs or eggs from poultry you do not want to procreate.

It's still micromanagement. This is why I prefer poultry with longer lifespan over poultry with best production. It means you less frequently need to micromanage new hatchlings. Ideally, I want crocodiles. All you need to do is to hatch a new generation once in every sixty years.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55194 on: June 26, 2020, 08:56:31 am »

Oh, right! Of course. The stockpiles. That way I can make sure only the strong and fat shares a animal area with a rooster and all the others will produce just infertile ones and nobody will haul the fertiled ones away. Thanks for the solution! I hadn't thought of that.
Love, scriver~

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55195 on: June 26, 2020, 11:35:57 am »

@piss, whats your embark size? Sound like you've planned it out ahead of time. Watch out the booze in good zones is very lethal.

I'd recommend your 1st tavern, be "civ only" at or near surface z level. As you progress deeper to cavern 1, do a "civ+guest" tavern with guest rooms, and then stick your "all" tavern between cavern layers.
Ive settled on 6x6 as an embark site.  Im still getting 120 frames, which is my arbitrary cap, though when something tries to spam-path into my fort it can drop to ~50 until I either let it in/out or kill it.  or somethings, like packs mole dogs and bugbats most recently.  I have 2 light aquifer 'waterfalls' that I let evaporate after they strike my meeting area, and a cistern Im currently letting fill with another.  Light aquifers are almost all boon and no pain, as long as you dont let them flood.  And since water will evaporate, any reasonable passage is enough to let it air out.

I dont use the whole area, but I always feel like its more fitting for a fortress, which is supposed to have some control over the surrounding area, to actually simulate and include some of the surrounding area, even if I cant physically control other locations.

My system can only do 4x4 embarks. Reason I ask, that is I wanted to make sure you got the feather wood trees, lots and lots, of them.

Before my game became to unstable to play, the climbing+trapping combo SCIENCE was really fun.

Now in hindsifht, I think I got greedy with dfHack.  My last mil uniform, was >1 wt, all featherwood gear, featherwood shield, except for the weapon. I began puting 2 and 3 weapons in 1 uniform, to make up for the wt lost from light gear. Maybe that is what broke the Joyous 0 stress, low immoderation, fortress.

I just met my elf civ, neighbor and they all went to war. Never even got to see an elf siege... this time. poo!

Another reason I have for recommending the "all" tavern be deeper, inbetween caverns is, it prevents bar fights and visitors, from goofing up relations with Depot merchants, up on the surface.

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55196 on: June 27, 2020, 07:28:05 am »

Oh, right! Of course. The stockpiles. That way I can make sure only the strong and fat shares a animal area with a rooster and all the others will produce just infertile ones and nobody will haul the fertiled ones away. Thanks for the solution! I hadn't thought of that.
Yeah. I have an input stockpile for my quantum dump eggs stockpile that I set to 'accept from links only' (it has no links) when I want hatchlings hatched, and 'accept everything' when I don't want hatchlings and use the eggs for cooking.  Easy management.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55197 on: June 27, 2020, 09:56:39 am »

In my last embark, I took a female chick of each type of bird, for food variety, and enough turkeys to ensure breeding in case the caravans didn't bring enough leather or cloth. The dwarfs have so many quarry leaf and egg meals...
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55198 on: June 28, 2020, 04:05:59 pm »

I have almost managed to cull my yak cow population to a point where I can butcher more of them per year then are born.
Pro-tip: don't embark with pack animals if you are planning on a low population fort (or at least keep culling the females). Gelding the males is useless when there's bulls with balls pulling the yearly caravans, and butchering creates so darn many jobs with all the offal and refuse products.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55199 on: June 28, 2020, 04:23:50 pm »

sheeps or llamas are your best bet for larger grazers who can still provide.  As a bonus both can make wool, and i think the latter is both larger and makes milk.

For no particular reason, sheep/horse/guineafowl are my favorite in-game animals.  and dogs, since dogs are a staple.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 3678 3679 [3680] 3681 3682 ... 3842