Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3416 3417 [3418] 3419 3420 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097434 times)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51255 on: December 17, 2017, 06:21:40 pm »

Can I suggest "Visitorine" as an alternative to "Visitite?" It rolls off the tongue a little better.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51256 on: December 17, 2017, 07:02:28 pm »

So after my failed attempt to rid my fort of those worthless visitors I turned my attention outward.

As I discussed in this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168554.0

I had blundered on to what I had thought at the time was a goblin scheme to eradicate the race of Hamstermen.

I had two reasonably well trained and well equipped squads. Having never raided a site before, my expectations were low. The site I had in mind was The Dark Goblin Pits of Sunksteals, population 20 and two days travel away. This site was the rumoured location of one of two books noted in my thread, specifically: The Hamster Man and other Travesties.

Orders sent, my dwarfs marched dutifully towards their fate.

Many days passed, I began to fear they'd not return and then:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of the 20 dwarfs sent out, all returned unharmed. And they even managed to snag up the artifact in question. Flawless victory!

The captured book, aside from the title seems harmless enough:

...but I might attempt to capture the other tome before I'm satisfied that there is no plot to rid the world of Hamstermen.

For now I await the reaction of our goblin adversaries, of whom we are now at war...   :D

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #51257 on: December 17, 2017, 07:06:13 pm »

Can I suggest "Visitorine" as an alternative to "Visitite?" It rolls off the tongue a little better.
Yeah, that does sound better
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51258 on: December 17, 2017, 07:32:55 pm »

Its annoying. FPS death is sadly incurable. When my fortress decides to go down to 7fps, its sadly dead.

I've just had my fortress experience FPS death on the second season. I've got about 30 visitors, 10 dwarfs and 4 animals. 7fps. In this fortress, 7 of those men are out artefact hunting, leaving 3 dwarfs to man the fort. It shouldn't be experiencing this kind of fps death. But this fort is just an attempt for me to see if I can get any artefact through raiding other than blooming books. I haven't yet been able to get a successful raid on anything that hasn't just recovered books. Even towers seem to get me endless books, but no slabs.
To get back to your FPS problem, 7 fps with only 30 guests sounds like there's something not right.

What you *could*  try, is remove all instances of the [FLIER] tag from all creature raws in your save folder, or if you have no fliers in your other units list, only remove flier tags from the two underground creature raws.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:34:44 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51259 on: December 17, 2017, 08:00:40 pm »

Abolthelbel Dropletrenown, a bronze hatch cover... YES! An artifact hatch, now our fortress is impenetrable! Praise the mayor and whatever god possessed him to make this artifact. Now, off to the volcano with you. Tell the All Mother we send our regards, and Astot wants a new arm, some goblins took his last one. Oh and sending some gold ore would be nice.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51260 on: December 17, 2017, 08:00:58 pm »

I started a pig eugenics program.
I decided to do a bit of in-universe roleplay, and made this:
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51261 on: December 17, 2017, 08:40:38 pm »

Set up a hallway with a bridge to drop unwanted visitors 7 levels hopefully to their death in my new fortress after visitors ruined fps in my last one

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51262 on: December 17, 2017, 10:32:53 pm »

I've started a new fort and my manager just sole'd an alligator, he had no weapons or armor, just clothing and his managing skills, and he punched an alligator in the throat and killed it
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51263 on: December 18, 2017, 01:10:23 am »

Not sure why so many are getting the visitor glitch, I'm currently at my 30 visitor limit and staying there.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51264 on: December 18, 2017, 01:34:25 am »

I just got the visitor glitch myself—upwards of 80 visitors in a 30-dwarve fort. I watched idly by as they massacred a werepanda.

I figured I should do something about them all, since they were bringing down my FPS and because the game wasn't going to be nearly as much FUN as I'd like with a hundred meat shields hanging around near the entrance to my fort. So I atom-smashed them all.

Two in-game weeks later I regretted that decision as a dozen zombies invaded and I was left with nothing but a fortfull of cheesemakers in pig-tail socks for defense.

Fortunately my atom-smasher doubles as a drawbridge, so I pulled it up and I'm holed up underground, mining lignite to forge steel armor, slowly training up an elite military with which to rid myself of this night-creature infestation once and for and restore my dwarven civilzation to its full glory! I'm actually pretty excited about this, this is the first actual siege I've ever had in all my many months playing DF. Strike the earth!
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51265 on: December 18, 2017, 03:01:03 am »

My first squad have named themselves The Blockaded Realm. These guys shall definitely be our best defenders, they're going to be doing nothing but sparring and training against the local savage fauna for the first embarkment into the caverns. Hopefully they lose the cave adaption soon, otherwise we're going to have problems with them dizzy during sieges...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51266 on: December 18, 2017, 03:35:50 am »

Not sure why so many are getting the visitor glitch, I'm currently at my 30 visitor limit and staying there.
Let's just say that 9 out of 10 genned worlds gave me the visitor bug. So you're just lucky.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51267 on: December 18, 2017, 04:35:34 am »

Rip, that fort was horribly slaughtered by a hydra before we could get everything in place... Well, starting my next fort nearby, going to raid it and hope we get the artifacts back. Magma crabs were causing tons of problems anyway...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51268 on: December 18, 2017, 05:36:25 am »

Awwww my armorsmith and weaponsmith just got married! This fort is chalked full of iron, but sadly very short z level wise... We're going to be putting the smiths to full work right away once we get a wood burner and smelter going fast. Checked legends mode, apparently the artifacts I'm looking for are now near the north pole in someone's hands... Joy.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51269 on: December 18, 2017, 05:47:35 am »

Rip, that fort was horribly slaughtered by a hydra before we could get everything in place... Well, starting my next fort nearby, going to raid it and hope we get the artifacts back. Magma crabs were causing tons of problems anyway...

Which is why I remove magma crabs from the raws before world gen. We can't have some breeding unreachable critters killing our FPS now, can we?

EDIT: in other news: Slightly sad. Turns out 3 out of my 4 breeding pairs passed 120 years of age in the 5 years it took the first generation of children to grow up and make room for more children.
So I guess those are done spawning more dwarves. I hope the two starting seven lovers will eventually marry (they been lovers for 6 years), or maybe the first generation of 4 children that just grew up, or I am down to one expanding clan, which is not enough for a viable generations fort, and would force me to up the popcap with 2 in hopes of a new married couple of immigrants.

EDIT2: Oh, this is nice. Just got the very first mood in my fort, and very fitting, it's my expedition leader that goes fey!
And yay, he claimed a metalsmith forge. I am a bit worried about priming my dwarves for moods. I love libraries, but they make everyone dabbling mechanics, with potential to ruin dwarves primed for smithing.
My new generation has an enforced 'no scholaring until mooded' policy.

EDITmore:

OH HEY! My 126 year old dwarf just gave birth! I guess they go sterile at a later age then.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:49:10 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 3416 3417 [3418] 3419 3420 ... 3842