Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3418 3419 [3420] 3421 3422 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097179 times)

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51285 on: December 18, 2017, 10:22:40 pm »

I had a pilgrim arrive with the last migrant wave. His skills say "farmer", but he's colored white. I can assign him labors, occupations, noble positions, and military duty, but he stays white.

Urist McWaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I feel so good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51286 on: December 19, 2017, 02:28:26 am »

One slightly annoying thing I just noticed was that after my raiding party returned, that their assigned bedrooms had been unassigned for some reason.  ???

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51287 on: December 19, 2017, 02:39:42 am »

Raid came back hoisting a necro slab, when I sent them to raid a cave... Guess he was hanging out there?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51288 on: December 19, 2017, 05:51:28 am »

EDITmore:

OH HEY! My 126 year old dwarf just gave birth! I guess they go sterile at a later age then.
Do dwarves ever go sterile from old age?
no

I thought they wouldn't get pregnant/married or something past a certain age.

No, all creatures can conceive and give birth right up until they keel over from old age. I once had a 170 year old couple give birth; when the spring rolled over seven and half months later, the baby was naturally orphaned.

For some reason that fort had a lot of 150+ year old migrants, and once they had settled in, they started making babies like there's no tomorrow (and for some of them, there wasn't!)
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51289 on: December 19, 2017, 05:58:05 am »

Egads! An infestation of werecats. I've sealed them in the caverns, problem is, they don't slay each other, and have infected the monster slayers... Now I have twenty someodd weres running around the caverns every month.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51290 on: December 19, 2017, 07:17:07 am »

Wow, my single woodcutter has become agile enough to clearcut the surface (3x3 embark minus two about 0.75x0.75 sized stripmines) of trees faster than they can spawn. I am going to need to import wood to keep the smelters running. Don't want to breach caverns yet, too happy with still max FPS in year 11.

EDIT: it could very well be that it's not my woodcutter getting more agile, but instead it's the trees not spawning on puked over tiles, and hence running out of space to spawn much.
Tempted to install DfHack if only for the mapclean utility to remove excess puke.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:02:53 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51291 on: December 19, 2017, 11:59:06 am »

Decided to start a Forsaken fortress, wanted to test some stuff.

Took some additional workforce for the start, should help.
While my civ is nearby, I'm also surrounded on all sides by enemies - including a Tol'vir civ thats at war with my own due to worldgen shenanigans.

I'm thinking of making this fort more of an aboveground mining town, with an underground mine district and an aboveground living area with houses, a tavern for outsider visitors, and a library.

Areas pretty rich in resources, found bituminous coal already.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:01:10 pm by ZM5 »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51292 on: December 19, 2017, 01:34:10 pm »

Well, my Fortress has had a interesting history. I had to remove a burning artifact book from the tavern by digging ramps under it till I moved it all the way to the mines where the never-ending smoke it produces annoys no one.  Then, of course, remove the ramps and replace them with walls and floors.

My seed stockpile had been burned also so it is taking some time to rebuild up my seed supply.  Also most of my booze had been destroyed too.

But a human caravan saved me - I traded them mugs and toys and gems for food, booze, seeds and other items.

Just before another Dwarf Civilization came to put my Fortress under siege.  Yeah, I may have raided them.   ::)

Oh well.  I finally have a non-book artifact on display.  So I solved that problem.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #51293 on: December 19, 2017, 02:58:52 pm »

A random marksdwarf just came by to my tavern, started shooting at some random porcupine with his bayoneted flintlock.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51294 on: December 19, 2017, 04:34:53 pm »

Hurray, finally got the visitor glitch! Put everyone in my civ in at least a little metal gear except the miners, and turned the whole tavern into a wooden training spear danger room of old. Some of the best visitors are simply legendary dodgers now, most are puddy.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #51295 on: December 19, 2017, 04:39:27 pm »

Hurray, finally got the visitor glitch! Put everyone in my civ in at least a little metal gear except the miners, and turned the whole tavern into a wooden training spear danger room of old. Some of the best visitors are simply legendary dodgers now, most are puddy.

When life gives you visitors, make pudding.  :)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #51296 on: December 20, 2017, 01:27:12 am »

I'm playing OldGenesis and got a bit of an unwanted visitor- a dunedweller bard vampire. How much fun do you think he'll cause before I get to arranging an unfortunate accident? Currently he's attending a meeting with my expedition leader, but they're in the exp leader's bedroom for some reason...

Edit: He just petitioned for residency, time to seal him away for a few hundred years. I checked his history, he married a werewolf and they had 6 kids together and went on date-raids, how cute.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 01:42:07 am by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51297 on: December 20, 2017, 03:02:11 am »

Yadda yadda interrupted by a giant fly.
Interrupted by a giant fly.
Interrupted by a giant snail.
Interrupted by a giant.
Interrupted by a giant.
Interrupted by a giant.
Found dead.
Found dead.
Found dead.

Ugh, bunch of whiner- wait. A giant what? *Checks unit list* *sees giant* *learns we embarked on a giants cave*

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51298 on: December 20, 2017, 04:18:37 am »

Looks like I managed to get rid of the phantom tree that kept periodically causing a 'something has collapsed on the surface' message over my strip mine pit.
I built a structure on the spot.
Half a season later one of the constructed block walls turned into a tree. Cut it down, replaced wall, no more phantom tree.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51299 on: December 20, 2017, 04:22:17 am »

Really hate how no matter how low I put the mineral scarcity, I almost never get much metal with the custom map thingy... All we have is tetrahydrite on the entire map, and some chunks of aluminum I've found. Only prase and bone opal for gems, thank god we have fire clay and sand or I wouldn't be able to trade much. Also got a legendary weaponsmith and a legendary armor smith through the minion waves, so hey that's good, we're working on training a leatherworker to make good leather gear to pad the copper bits for our soldiers.
Pages: 1 ... 3418 3419 [3420] 3421 3422 ... 3842