Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3337 3338 [3339] 3340 3341 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6104810 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #50070 on: May 10, 2017, 11:53:56 am »

Accidentaly managed to trap my first savana Titan under the bridge into my fort in my moat, A fire breathing tick. It hasn't managed to drown...not sure if it can drown...well at least the goblins will have some fun next time they invade.
Bonus dwarfy points if you turn your moat into an arena filled with socks.

well seeing as my trash dump and prisoner pit leads to a chamber filled with a forgotten beast and the circus...and now this I'm going to have to try to do that.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50071 on: May 10, 2017, 11:54:36 am »

Building my fort. Making a very small underground tree farm, where I will grow my plants.

Gotta make more rooms and set up industries seriously, too. And I need to tap the volcano and set up a metal industry.

Meanwhile, I entertain myself by watching the almighty lungfish fly around my river.

There's one 4 z-levels above ground.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:59:14 am by Naryar »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50072 on: May 10, 2017, 04:24:50 pm »

During trading with the Mountainhome, suddenly a fight broke out because a dwarf had become enraged.  It took me a bit to figure out, because I looked at combat logs and saw there was a dwarf fighting another dwarf, but in the depot instead of the tavern.

So I sent the squad that included that dwarf somewhere a few levels away and amazingly enough, they actually left instead of all piling on.

It turned out the enraged dwarf was one of the traders.  It wasn't a loyalty cascade, though.

He had just become enraged because of flies and eventually calmed down, and that was the only time I had any message that it was the flies that had enraged him.

That guy needs to relax.

I assume that particular visiting dwarf had a particular antipathy to flies so this caused an especially strong reaction?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50073 on: May 10, 2017, 04:45:01 pm »

Either that or a passing worker said something unkind about his shoes.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50074 on: May 10, 2017, 07:56:28 pm »

Forgotten beasts! So many of the goddamn things! 2 a season! I barely have the time to set up the elaborate spider+table+hallway of cage traps trap to cage the damn creatures. Finally got one whose deadly dust causes full body rotting. Gonna build him into a turret for all my invaders visitors to die horribly in front of admire.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50075 on: May 10, 2017, 09:21:18 pm »

Forgotten beasts! So many of the goddamn things! 2 a season! I barely have the time to set up the elaborate spider+table+hallway of cage traps trap to cage the damn creatures. Finally got one whose deadly dust causes full body rotting. Gonna build him into a turret for all my invaders visitors to die horribly in front of admire.

I sent my best team against a shelled monstrous mongoloid snail whatever with deadly spittle and lost half my fort in this reckless endeavor, because it was in the route to where I'd just found a spire of adamantine.

So when the next forgotten beast, that showed up INSTANTLY after I'd finished the first, turned out to be a giant humanoid made of vomit and with stuff I didn't care about, I wasn't going to retreat from that.  A peasant slapped it to death.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50076 on: May 11, 2017, 05:16:10 am »

I sent my best team against a shelled monstrous mongoloid snail whatever with deadly spittle and lost half my fort in this reckless endeavor

See, here's your problem. Never engage them directly! Use spear traps, spider and regular traps, marksdwarfs, mine cart shotguns and maybe even other forgotten beasts! Guile is always the preferable option.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #50077 on: May 11, 2017, 08:48:04 am »

Spider traps?

But those things scare me...

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50078 on: May 11, 2017, 09:32:13 am »

See, here's your problem. Never engage them directly! Use spear traps, spider and regular traps, marksdwarfs, mine cart shotguns and maybe even other forgotten beasts! Guile is always the preferable option.

Agreed!  Especially because in this case I had even tested my "lock down the caverns" lever to see if it worked.  It did, so I could have just ignored that thing and dug around the issue.  But I just had to say "fuck it" and go full dumbass instead.

It was fun, though.  I had the best combat animation I've ever seen in the game, when there was a fight between my militia commander and this thing next to a magma forge.  It turned out to be a building destroyer, so it wrecked the forge before charging my militia commander, who promptly dodged into the newly created hole and fell, while I had him on "Follow," down into the magma and then sunk down every layer before dying.

I realized at that point my "fuck it we can take this thing" estimate of the situation was overly optimistic.

I know there are smarter ways of doing this and until recently, I've been absurdly cautious, but dying in some ridiculous catastrophe is more fun than dying of FPS which is just depressing, especially when it's otherwise an interesting fort.  The embark is also incredibly rich in all forms of coal, has every single iron ore, and flux, and I just found a relatively generous vein of adamantine, so I just decided at the outset that "maniacally aggressive almost without reason" was going to be the strategy and the fact that we'll all be kitted out with adamantine soon has increased my resolve in that department.

(I will take a little more care that my champions don't go diving in magma again, though.  Losing adamantine weapons that way is painful.)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #50079 on: May 13, 2017, 01:03:28 pm »

My craftsdorf decided it was a good idea to start a fight with a capybara. It didn't end well. am building a slab, because that's all he deserves with that stupidity.

the capaybara's nose got sliced off before she fled the map. The nose is sitting in my refuse heap now. Good thing I'm not in a reanimating biome. Then again, what is a nose going to do, sniff everyone to death?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50080 on: May 13, 2017, 03:29:15 pm »

Embarked in a re-animating glacier with an aquifer. Breaching was going well - at least until a migrant's corpse climbed over the wall. Killed 2 dwarves immediately, and one more through infection. Still, we persisted. But as we run out of food, an attempt to build a farm reveals safe passage through the aquifer - without any breaching. Saves quite a bit of work, if we can last til we harvest the plump helmets.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50081 on: May 13, 2017, 03:47:21 pm »

I'm running a very boring 6 dwarf time warp fort (one died in a tragic garbage chute accident). Some jokester dragged a yak skeleton into the barracks/tavern and its been sitting there for years and nobody will claim it.

I've been waiting for it to be dragged off but nobody has, so I guess its just decorum at this point.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #50082 on: May 13, 2017, 11:53:29 pm »

Massive drafting of all the idlers now that the magma forges are turning out crap tons of copper.  They just have to protect the masons long enough for the magma waterfall Bridge of Doom to be built.  Still a ways out on that one.  The unnecessarily tall archery tower is completed, as well as the first 3 levels of the starting ramp up toward the bridge.  It's been relatively peaceful so far...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50083 on: May 14, 2017, 06:22:31 pm »

Just had a random human swordsman show up in the caverns... He walked in and became a visitor like normal, except he appears from the third cavern layer... Killed a few crundles on his way to us, pretty effortlessly too. Hoping he joins up, it'd be nice to learn why he was in the caverns.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50084 on: May 14, 2017, 07:22:36 pm »

Just had a random human swordsman show up in the caverns... He walked in and became a visitor like normal, except he appears from the third cavern layer... Killed a few crundles on his way to us, pretty effortlessly too. Hoping he joins up, it'd be nice to learn why he was in the caverns.

Could just be a random explorer, at least that'd be my theory. What kind of name does he have? Human or dwarven?
Pages: 1 ... 3337 3338 [3339] 3340 3341 ... 3842