Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3256 3257 [3258] 3259 3260 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121595 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48855 on: November 24, 2016, 10:01:48 am »

Some elite dorfs drowned while deconstruct floors above a river, stupid.
Then I realized my fort is called "Tombtalks" not for no reason. :P

Well, we have become the Mountainhome already.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48856 on: November 24, 2016, 12:16:17 pm »

Fortress is under reconstruction.
The four remaining infected dwarves appear nonhostile to each other, though I could be wrong. I'm attempting to lock them in, but they're not cooperating enough. So I'm going to have to troubleshoot them. They just keep walking out of that burrow/meeting hall to do nothing in particular. I'm going to have to order them in somehow, but I can't think of a way. I think it's because two of them are currently injured; if I can keep them from injuring each other severely this turning, they'll heal and can then be stationed. Unfortunately werecreatures seem able to destroy walls, even when it's just a large wombat in a humanoid form. So they just won't cooperate, but they will. Oh yes, they will. in other news, I'm digging out a migrant shelter in the southeastern corner, where the new wave of migrants came in. They're now burrowed there, minus the miner who is attempting to seal the weredwarves in and yet keep access to the main fortress.

As soon as I finish locking them in, I'm going to either leave them there behind two drawbridges, both lever-controlled and both levers unmarked, of course, so I can unleash them either to the upper world or the lower one, whichever is more necessary at the time. I'm going to furnish them with some bronze arms and armor (using one of several melt-job exploits to increase stocks of bronze, given that I don't even have copper here) so that when non-transformed, they can still be deadly killing machines. Going to need to separate the survivors into different rooms, given that I'm reasonably sure they'll kill re-transformed dwarves instantly, or nearly so. Their past performance leaves me in no doubt that they can tear dwarves apart in wombat form very effectively. What about goblins, though? Or undead? Not one undead siege yet, but the first one'll finish me off, lol.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48857 on: November 24, 2016, 12:24:44 pm »

Building destroyers only destroy walls that are yet to be built. Don't try to build one right in front of a turned one's nose.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48858 on: November 24, 2016, 05:26:33 pm »

The fortress is reclaimed completely; unlike the last caravan, this coming one in a season will not report a fortress coated in blood and gore, with discarded weapons and clothes and body parts spread around, with a gigantic cairn thrown together out front; the dead are buried, the tattered shreds of clothing taken with the last caravan, and the last beasts of the night have been conquered. Three of them died fighting a caravan, after escaping a diagonal exit through the ceiling and attacking the guards and merchants. Two of them died - a marksdwarf and a merchant. They have been buried. The last remaining werecreature remains locked away in the ruins of the fort's entrance, and a new one has been constructed, needing only a roof and drawbridge to secure it against everything that may come, for a hatch will not keep out the most dangerous night beasts, one of which may yet return to the fortress to complete the destruction she has already wrought. None of the original 7 dwarves, nor even of the first two migrant waves, yet remain. The third and fourth waves still man the fortress's walls and stalk its long, empty halls. More than twice their number now, through their great efforts, lie buried next to them. And yet they struggle on. They will dig to the depths of the earth and conquer the earth's blood that lingers down there, using it to fuel their great fortress. They will not fall, not to dragons, nor goblins, nor night-creatures, however many may come. The monthly howls of the creature locked away cannot disturb their rest, for they have earned it well.

So, they lived. Despite my best screwing up and efforts, they live on. I don't understand it. When three of those blasted things jumped the wall all at once, I thought they'd all had it. And yet, not even when six of them tore through the main fortress did they all die - one uninfected dwarf yet lived when I accidentally locked him in with the night creatures. Oops. The third migrant wave made it, and I locked them quickly into a fast-dug hole in the ground while I worked to secure the dangerous ones in the entrance hall, the only convenient spot in the fortress to lock them. It took two turnings, but I walled them in finally, having rearranged most of my dwarves' labors to accommodate the locked-up ones. And then three escaped, so I only have one for experiments later. I'm going to have him train continuously, dropping alcohol through a hatch I've yet to create. Probably a retracting bridge next to a door, some Z's up. A locked door. I'll give him high-level bronze equipment once I make it, perhaps candy should I get that far. I doubt it, though - having hit semi-molten rock in two places, we've no magma to speak of. And nothing but galena to work with, galena ... useless unless I get some incredibly lucky armorsmithing moods or some such. Lead and silver. Silver and gold, I could take. Even the tanked caravan wagon outside (whose wood was used to build a wall to contain the beast) doesn't provide enough metal to work with. Ah well. I will have to work with what I've got. Silver and gold can be sold - but lead? What can I do with that? I need to start a war with the elves, too - I need to level some soldiers to face goblins and such, and wooden weapons and wimpy elves are the way to do it. Plus, perhaps, training sessions with a werebeast supersoldier (equipped with wifflebat), using a cagetrap room. Infected soldiers are left with him, to spar for all eternity. Dead ones are removed once he turns back.
Oh yes, the infected one. He's now sealed behind three drawbridges - one, an airlock setup containing a carpenter's shop and his chair (say hello to record-keeper - need a new broker, though), plus an armor stand. The other side has just one bridge in a shed above the ground. Should I be desperate, I will unleash the supersoldier upon the world, and then we'll see who's laughing, undead, goblins, and whatever else may come. That tower's shown no activity, but I have gotten a snatcher. No elves or humans yet, but I should see them soon. Since the next caravan won't report a mound of bodies and blood covering the entire fortress, we oughta be good. However, I've got just one level to play with before the aquifer, and not enough skilled miners to go around yet. So progress is slow, especially as my carefully constructed 7 dwarves have all died - mostly to each other, in fact. The exped leader - the third exped leader - killed them all. And thus I have no idea what skills are covered. I can barely find food supplies for all the gore and blood atop them, and I'm not sure what may or may not have rotted out.

Oh yes, out of like 30 dogs and puppies ... 6 remained. Now there's 3 puppies, 3 dogs - 2 male, 1 female. No idea on the puppies. So, the traumatized surviving dogs are going to be sealed into a bunker, in case that werebeast should ever escape, due to mishandling of the carefully nonlabeled, nondescript, and adjacent levers that I have already nearly forgotten. Also, carefully mishandled lever-pulling killed the carpenter and left me wondering why nothing was getting done in the carpenter's shop in the main fortress. Duh, I atom-smashed the carpenter into absolutely nothing.
Well, that's basically it. Found all three cavern layers - luckily able to slide right on past them, didn't hit dead center in one. Forgotten beast came - ignoring him completely for now. Caverns, sealed. Magma sea, nowhere to be found. Magma forges, gonna have to wait for a while yet. Once I get them I'll start melting things, then casting and remelting them, so as to cheat my way into steal and bronze equipment. I know, I'm a horrible person, but I've got no choice, really. I have absolutely no weapons-grade metals, minus silver which doesn't really count except for blunt crud, and stuff ripped off of a tanked caravan.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #48859 on: November 24, 2016, 06:13:49 pm »

Were-wombats will be friendly with were-wombats, and no-one else, even were-gazelles etc.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48860 on: November 24, 2016, 08:43:06 pm »

Finally I managed to get all the corpses out of the river just for role playing purpose. Then I used dfhack to teleport other items.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48861 on: November 25, 2016, 06:14:19 am »

Has cave adaptation been changed? My dwarves always seem to leave trails of vomit behind when they visit the surface, despite spending most of their lives on the surface building things. And babies are the worst - perhaps dwarves are born cave-adapted now?

Anyway, construction of Sunnymines continues. We've built the masonry industry section on the first floor, in order that the future barracks and training centre underneath be indoors (the most annoying aspect of constructing above-ground is that many buildings like beds, tables etc. have to be "inside" which means I'm essentially building the fort from the top down). The first floor will have most or all of our industries, split into groups depending on what materials they need. Each group will consist of a number of workshops facing relevant stockpiles, and a small refreshment area with a well, food and booze stockpiles and some tables. We have plumbed in the wells for the masonry section and the barracks below, but there'll be no water in the pipes until I've finished the rest of the plumbing (so I don't have to constantly endanger dwarves by deconstructing walls holding back lots of water).
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48862 on: November 25, 2016, 07:18:18 am »

It seems that migrants and visitors are cave adapted.  So even if your dwarfs do not have a problem, you will have puke over everything.

Oh and babies puke all the time.  But... that's just being realistic ;-)

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48863 on: November 25, 2016, 09:13:44 am »

I chained up an ettin guest (Lebes Lekeser Iseth Thiken) on an green zircon artifact chain in a clown-intake tunnel leading to my hallway of spikes set to a repeater. The idea was that a clown would have some FUN with Lebes, which would have been a more metal way than any other way I could have let him go. Instead, Lebes got depressed and died. Whoops... sorry about that, Lebes.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48864 on: November 25, 2016, 04:43:46 pm »

My two retired adventurers just had their first baby. I didn't think it was possible but I'm glad it is. He's pretty good - tall, tough and has great creativity. I wonder if I can play him in adventure mode.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #48865 on: November 25, 2016, 04:55:17 pm »

My two retired adventurers just had their first baby. I didn't think it was possible but I'm glad it is. He's pretty good - tall, tough and has great creativity. I wonder if I can play him in adventure mode.
COOOOL, I didn't think it was possible either.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48866 on: November 25, 2016, 10:09:55 pm »

You wont be able to play as the kid in adventure mode, no. That's still super impressive though. I've never seen adventurers marry anyone, let alone have kids.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48867 on: November 26, 2016, 10:08:25 am »

If you lock them in a room for long enough ... or just lock enough adventurers in a room ...

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48868 on: November 26, 2016, 06:18:05 pm »

Human caravan arrived, one of their buffalo got attacked by a goddamn white stork, (which I have never seen attack anything before), human caravan immediately turns around and leaves without trading.

Well, screw you too.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48869 on: November 27, 2016, 09:18:05 pm »

I started a new 43.05 fort in hopes of an animating biome and got something new. There were about 28 recruits hanging out in buildings on the map. They were all dwarfs but the buildings were made of trollhair and cat leather, and the dwarfs' names were goblin or human. They rushed over immediately and slaughtered my unprepared embark. I considered trying to send armed embarks after them but what would that be... Maybe ten embarks until all of the enemy were dead? Yeesh.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
Pages: 1 ... 3256 3257 [3258] 3259 3260 ... 3842