Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3108 3109 [3110] 3111 3112 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122157 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46635 on: March 09, 2016, 02:18:18 pm »

But... but... your nobles are going to get unhappy thoughts about justice not being served! Surely, a peasant losing an eye is a small price to pay to avoid having your nobles get unhappy thoughts!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46636 on: March 09, 2016, 02:24:06 pm »

MY NOBLES DESERVE TO HAVE UNHAPPY THOUGHTS FOR DARING TO MAKE MANDATES THAT ARE INCONVENIENT FOR ME TO FULFILL! I've had plenty of nobles that only made madates for things I was already going to make anyways......of course, they were the ones who loves crafts, bins or large pots, so they could be damned annoying when the forbid exports, but still.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46637 on: March 09, 2016, 02:42:21 pm »

I might still enable caravans anyway, since that's rather koboldy with all exports counting as stolen. ;w;
Fixed that for you.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46638 on: March 09, 2016, 03:16:04 pm »

I ignored another mandate. The hammerer exploded a poor dwarf's left eye into gore with his adamantine warhammer. I should add more cloaks to my dwarves' uniforms. although if I can get this dwarf to lose another eye, I'll have a good siege operator candidate.

I wonder.. can blind dwarves still get a watch dance, or watch combat training job?

EDIT: also, YAY. My second couple of 1st generation children have married. Which means my grandchildren can have friends now.
Dear god, what are these mandates and why they so hard to fulfill when you know that someone will get hurt every time you ignore one? I ignore almost all mandates, but then I don't ever bother using the justice system so no one gets hurt.
The mandates are easy enough. Bins, shields, and scepters. I'm just trying to give my dwarves happy thoughts from bringing food and water, and training my bone doctors and suturers (all dwarves wear full steel gear minus gauntlets, so there's an occasional broken hand) EDIT: on that matter, it looks like it's not possible for a hammering session to break both a dwarf's hands. The first one will make him insta-pass out from pain, all subsequent hammer blows will be hits to the head of a downed victim.

I'm still waiting for my queen to get hammered by her husband. So far, she's been convicted to jail 3 times, but no hammerings. Funny thing is, her husband, being the hammerer, cannot get punished for failing royal mandates / export bans, but the queen, without police job, can be punished for failing nobility's mandates / export bans.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:22:47 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46639 on: March 09, 2016, 03:23:16 pm »

The mandates are easy enough. Bins, shields, and scepters. I'm just trying to give my dwarves happy thoughts from bringing food and water, and training my bone doctors and suturers (all dwarves wear full steel gear minus gauntlets, so there's an occasional broken hand)
Wouldn't it be better just to set up a medical college (by which I mean a library full of scholars with medical skills)? Sure, the training would be slower, but you wouldn't be maiming your dwarfs and could give them proper hand protection.

I'm still waiting for my queen to get hammered by her husband. So far, she's been convicted to jail 3 times, but no hammerings. Funny thing is, her husband, being the hammerer, cannot get punished for failing royal mandates / export bans, but the queen, without police job, can be punished for failing nobility's mandates / export bans.
It sounds like they're not experiencing any emotional trauma from having to carry out justice like this, a man being forced to hammer his own wife. I'm kind of disappointed that Toady hasn't implemented such features yet....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:28:12 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46640 on: March 09, 2016, 03:34:48 pm »

Nah. It's just a no-quality adamantine warhammer. Except for that eye, there's been no injury that has not fully healed. If any dwarf manages to get permanently crippled in both hands it'll still make a fine biter / kicker. If any dwarf is silly enough to die from a few blows with that thing I'll engrave it a nice tombstone.
Besides, all the happy thoughts for the various parties involved it more than offset the risk.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46641 on: March 09, 2016, 04:00:40 pm »

I might still enable caravans anyway, since that's rather koboldy with all exports counting as stolen. ;w;
Fixed that for you.

Guess that is the proper bold method of doing things. :V
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46642 on: March 09, 2016, 04:24:37 pm »

Had a bit of a disaster. Got a goblin siege of ~20 trolls, ~160 Beak dogs and ~160 goblins. My dwarves had recently dealt with a slightly smaller siege, so I let them deal with this one the same way. I buttoned up except for the trap corridor, which starts with 5 cages (for collecting training partners), then 8 traps, each with 1 green glass disc or green glass spiked ball (I limit myself to one glass weapon per trap to keep them from being too OP). Then the corridor opens into the main passage to my depot (which is otherwise blocked by a raised bridge). There is a pasture with half a dozen war dogs on the left, and to the right is a trench that's 2 tiles wide by 2 levels deep. On the far side of the trench is a wall of fortifications, behind which are my marksdwarves. Then they have to go north a bit while under crossbow fire to get to my depot.
The melee dwarves are waiting north of the depot.

Here's a top view (goblins enter from bottom left):
Code: [Select]
#######.....melee.#
..................#
#######...#######.#
######0   0######.#
######     ######.#
######  0  ######.#
######     ######.#
######0   0######.#
#######...#######.#
#######...#######.#
#######...#######.#
#######.......  ╬a#
#######.......  ╬r#
#######.......  ╬c#
###########...  ╬h#
###########...  ╬e#
###########...  ╬r#
###########...  ╬s#
.╥............  ╬.#
.║.dogs.......  ╬.#
.╨............  ╬.#
############^######
###########^#######
############^######
############^######
############^######
############^######
############^######
############^######
 ^^^^^       ######
###################

Like I said, this dealt with the last invasion just fine, only losing 2 melee troops. And it started out well this time,  lots of dead trolls in the traps, lots of dead dogs when the surviving trolls got through the traps, lots of punctured trolls and goblins.

Then a marksdwarf who showed up late came in via that corridor NW of the depot and spots a troll that was still south of the depot. Being a good marksdwarf, he fired one bolt (which the troll dodged), and then rushed forward into combat swinging his crossbow. So at this point I sent all the melee dwarves in (it was almost the time they should have gone, anyways). They proceeded to play "will it blend?" with the goblins and trolls along the way down into the trap corridor and to about the corner.

At this point the backlog of goblins and beak dogs were catching up, and I looked and saw 5 or 6 dwarves on one tile, and at least 50 goblins and beak dogs on the next tile. Almost all the trolls were dead or captured, about a quarter of the beak dogs, and about 3/4 of the goblins were also hors de combat. But also, most of the dwarves were tired and approaching exhaustion. This was when I started getting the "Urist McSoldier has been found dead" notifications. Some died because a goblin lasher got a lucky shot and broke a dwarf's bone, causing him to pass out. Then half a dozen beak dogs would grab hold and start shaking him, which is going to be fatal no matter how good the armor is. Some died because they dropped from exhaustion and the beak dogs were able to do their thing.

Since the marksdwarves had no targets anymore, I ordered them to move up through the depot and join the fray, but that took a while.

In a remarkably short time, all my melee dwarves were dead. Only a handful of goblins were still alive, but dozens of beak dogs were still going strong.

I quickly drafted a bunch of civilians and told them to move to my armor/weapon storage area, but instead they kept jumping into the trench between the wagon route and the archers. Apparently some primo piece of armor or weapon had ended up down there and it was getting assigned to the recruits, who then rushed to "pickup equipment" and found themselves in a trench with the remaining troll and a couple of goblins who had fallen down there. These unarmed, unarmored and untrained recruits didn't last long.

Once I realized what was going on, I forbade *everything* on the battlefield (d-b-f) and finally managed to get some recruits to pick up gear before heading off to battle. They were barely enough to finish off the last goblins and break the siege. Just barely.

So now I have all of my skilled military dead, but most of my civilians are still alive. A few unskilled haulers who got drafted died, but not many. All of my skilled labors still have skilled people doing them. But I have no real military at all.

Time to redesign my defenses to rely on trap systems rather than skilled melee troops. By trap systems,  I mean magma flooding,  dodge-fall, or other large-scale traps, not just lots of weapon traps - they're too effective to be fun.

This fort was starting to get boring. It just got interesting again.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46643 on: March 09, 2016, 04:42:15 pm »

Come on you stupid kobold, go shoot that weasal full of holes so we can use the bones for stuff. >w<
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Etc_Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46644 on: March 09, 2016, 04:42:55 pm »

Well, there is no magma on layer 1 but there is a downward passage to layer 2. That may explain layer 2 and 3 creatures in the first layer. I've never played with magma before so I'm need help to know what to do once I find some. Should I dig straight down and build a forge over the hole or pump it up one z-level below and isolate the lava?

Crundles revert back to wild state after a while so they aren't worth keeping. I'll sell them all off to the next caravan when they come this spring. The main problem is that all my cages are wooden, so the elves may throw a fit and come back with some "demands" next year despite not cutting down any trees in 2 years. It's because my only two soldiers have the axes.

I want to start an underground tree farm and the way subterrain works I'm not sure if my plan is possible.
Key:
+ = sand floor
* = sand walls
0 = constructed walls
# = constructed floor
. = open space

z-2
*++++++++*
*++++++++*
*++++++++*

z-1
*..................*
*..................*
*..................*

z+0

z+1
##########
##########
##########
##########
##########

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46645 on: March 09, 2016, 04:48:14 pm »

Oh right. Weasels apparently don't give bones. New order: giant kiwi hen.

EDIT:

"I ain't scare. I ain't scare of no things."

She quite easily KO'd the target with arrows, and the bloody thing is steadily vomiting and suffocating while the warmaster boops it uselessly with her bow. The other archer is finally done fucking around and is right around the corner, so that should speed things up.

EDIT 2: With the second archer's arrival, the creature bled out in short out. Despite passing out from exhaustion briefly, the warmaster claimed credit for the kill because she bopped it a few more times. Delicious bones are ours.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:26:26 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #46646 on: March 09, 2016, 05:28:57 pm »

You know, I haven't seen a strange mood that requires shells once in v42.
I've seen one of my moody dwarfs in v42 use not only one, but two of the four shells I had preserved for strange moods. What a ***.
Are you sure that the particular moody dwarf in question wasn't using it in place of bones? Because if they can still demand shells specifically, well that's bad news for me. I've gotten in the habit of going on embarks without rivers where shells can't be obtained....though maybe I could break that habit. Say, other than using burrows, there any way to make sure that your dwarfs will ALWAYS NO MATTER WHAT use wells instead of rivers for cleaning, drinking and such?
Fortunately, shell moods are rare. I only had one in all 57 years of Bastiongate. Since then I have kept a tortoise brute shell just in case.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46647 on: March 09, 2016, 09:01:17 pm »

The first of the dogs are growing to become beasts of war, and the giant kiwi has given us bone to construct instruments. We shall assemble the prolokin, two of them in fact, to build in our tavern. Still no more migrants and no one has married. ;w;

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:17:58 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46648 on: March 09, 2016, 09:39:01 pm »

Siege flag wouldn't disappear!
I counted totally 39 goblin corpses, maybe 1 didn't enter the map?
Or did I have a spy?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46649 on: March 09, 2016, 11:29:26 pm »

Siege flag wouldn't disappear!
I counted totally 39 goblin corpses, maybe 1 didn't enter the map?
Or did I have a spy?

Or your save bugged up.

---

The plainsmen come to trade spirits and metals for woodcrafts and migrants come, swelling our numbers once again. The time has come for a hospital - a proper one - that our Laeknir can properly tend to the wounded. Especially considering what happened before with that construction incident...

I sense eyes upon the hold.

I do not like this feeling.
Pages: 1 ... 3108 3109 [3110] 3111 3112 ... 3842