Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3096 3097 [3098] 3099 3100 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095610 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46455 on: February 29, 2016, 07:54:41 am »

It seems the goblins always enter the map from the same spot every year, maybe I can use a huge atomsmasher.....

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46456 on: February 29, 2016, 07:58:15 am »

It seems the goblins always enter the map from the same spot every year, maybe I can use a huge atomsmasher.....

Where's the fun in that, though?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46457 on: February 29, 2016, 08:47:24 am »

A maze!  A maze!  With pretty statues and memorial slabs of past invaders.  Along with their dead bodies.  :D
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46458 on: February 29, 2016, 08:53:59 am »

Is there anything I can do to cut back on tavern fights? I've got stockpiles filled to the brim with teeth, people are getting their upper spines torn apart, and then people are beating up the resulting quadriplegics.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46459 on: February 29, 2016, 09:07:02 am »

I lost another 2 dwarves. They drowned while fighting a vomit blob forgotten beast, who I thought to be harmless.
----------------------

Current project: retrieve the corpse.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:14:49 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46460 on: February 29, 2016, 09:35:35 am »

Speaking of goblins, my goblins have decided to send me some REAL sieges. With 300 enemies bearing down on us, the first time I was afraid my trapline wasn't going to cut it, but I did have some polar bear people and wolf people by the fort entrance in cages. I set them loose and though they didn't kill many goblins, they did what I wanted them to: slow down the first few waves of goblins and create a thicker crowd of enemies to fire ballistae into. After driving them off, I stuck some statues in the back of the room where I was keeping the animal people (it was a bit larger than it needed to be) and stuffed it with stonefall traps; the idea being that the trolls and any other building destroyers the goblins decided to bring would be distracted by the statues then killed/maimed by the stonefall traps, thus keeping them from clogging up the main trapline. I also improved the main trapline, sticking some more weapon traps on the back end and replacing some stonefall traps in the middle with weapon traps. The trapline held in the second big siege, though I still took some ballistae shots just to end it faster.

I had a siege engineer make an artifact gauntlet, though due to my negligence it was made of iron and not steel. Oh well, at least I got another legendary armorsmith out of it.

Now that I've been farming a while, I have a healthy overabundance of booze and too much food. I need to get my tavern set up; that'll increase consumption rates of both, right?

My first FB had been stuck in a tree for ages when another one came along, so I said "fuck it, I'm dumping magma into the cavern". At first I only managed to burninate my first FB, but then the second FB got stuck in the same tree and was able to hit it directly with magma.

Giant muskoxen are TERRIBLE livestock. So many died because they stomped their own grass.....er, moss. I can't get any new ones because I've captured everything on the surface. And worst of all, my giant war polar bears are fighting, even though there's plenty of room in their pasture! Ever since v42 came out, all animals seem to crowd in one corner or on one edge. It must be because they crave attention from dwarfs now.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46461 on: February 29, 2016, 09:52:01 am »

. And worst of all, my giant war polar bears are fighting, even though there's plenty of room in their pasture! Ever since v42 came out, all animals seem to crowd in one corner or on one edge. It must be because they crave attention from dwarfs now.

Oh, that explains why the chicks keep escaping their room/pen and wandering the Fortress.  I had to put a door on that room to keep them in and they still seem to  be running about.  And why they seem to be in one corner.  Hmmmmm
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46462 on: February 29, 2016, 10:07:42 am »

All that work and there's no goblins nearby. Restarting. ;_;

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46463 on: February 29, 2016, 10:58:45 am »

Giant muskoxen are TERRIBLE livestock. So many died because they stomped their own grass.....er, moss. I can't get any new ones because I've captured everything on the surface. And worst of all, my giant war polar bears are fighting, even though there's plenty of room in their pasture! Ever since v42 came out, all animals seem to crowd in one corner or on one edge. It must be because they crave attention from dwarfs now.

If you make a habit of caging all the male musk oxen, it should free up some room for smaller pens of grass holding less animals each or tethered to a restraint (including requiring animal caretakers to burn through your ample supplies of food in order to feed them), as to anything else, part time zoos for holding non-active non-grazing animals would be best to alleviate your problems.

Cages are king

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46464 on: February 29, 2016, 11:03:35 am »

I like to keep my war animals out and at the ready to maul anything that manages to find its way up from the caverns, though....do you think putting  the war animals in a frequented area like the tavern or temple help?

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46465 on: February 29, 2016, 11:52:07 am »

Well, I had a bad idea. The caravan arrived with the liaison, and I decided to unseal the fort to meet with the liason. Didn't bother trading though. Soon enough, the liaison decided to stick around and not leave.

Of course this breaks the whole "7 dwarves sealed away from the outside" thing, and since I reduced the population caps there were no migrants at all. So this led to toying around with meeting hall zones and an active

And now...well, I might open up the ceiling above that guy. Because I'm imagining there would be a debate among the 7 over whether it's okay to essentially murder the outpost liaison just because they can't afford to keep him around. But if they ensure he has a chance of climbing out, they can rationalize it as not leaving him to die. And if the undead get them him, well, that's the obvious consequence of visiting an "outpost" that was just an excuse to exile some political prisoners.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46466 on: February 29, 2016, 12:03:14 pm »

Well, I had a bad idea. The caravan arrived with the liaison, and I decided to unseal the fort to meet with the liason. Didn't bother trading though. Soon enough, the liaison decided to stick around and not leave.

Of course this breaks the whole "7 dwarves sealed away from the outside" thing, and since I reduced the population caps there were no migrants at all. So this led to toying around with meeting hall zones and an active

And now...well, I might open up the ceiling above that guy. Because I'm imagining there would be a debate among the 7 over whether it's okay to essentially murder the outpost liaison just because they can't afford to keep him around. But if they ensure he has a chance of climbing out, they can rationalize it as not leaving him to die. And if the undead get them him, well, that's the obvious consequence of visiting an "outpost" that was just an excuse to exile some political prisoners.
main regret is not setting up a hostile tavern area where food drinks and beds are out in the open where any critter could walk up and stab you while you sleep, or any attempt to pull this off is in areas where there little to no people to wander in.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46467 on: February 29, 2016, 12:11:56 pm »

He'll leave next spring if you let him out.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46468 on: February 29, 2016, 12:35:34 pm »

I wish there were some way to cast obsidian selectively, but since there isn't, I've finally begun to carve out the obsidian casting pit. Next on the to-do list: figure out how to power a pumpstack that is 103 z-levels tall. Clearly, I can't do it manually, but it's going to take at least 12 waterwheels to power it, and I've never ever built a water reactor before. The worst part is I might need to build 2 pumpstacks to avoid evaporation problems!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46469 on: February 29, 2016, 01:37:05 pm »

He'll leave next spring if you let him out.

Ah, maybe. Or I could meeting-zone-manipulate him outside again.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3096 3097 [3098] 3099 3100 ... 3842