Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3095 3096 [3097] 3098 3099 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095679 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46440 on: February 28, 2016, 04:27:15 pm »

The Mountain of Order has been pushed northwards, into a chilled swamp. The war with the Alfr has left the dead too many to count, on either side. But we fear not their coming. This swamp will bear witness to their doom.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46441 on: February 28, 2016, 06:55:56 pm »

I have witnessed... something amazing.  My first artifact, a blacksmith went into a mood and created a GOLD ANVIL.  Surely it's a sign... but of what?

EDIT: artifact is named the Boats of Spite, so maybe not a good sign?  It IS a haunted biome, though the undead ice wolves leave me alone and I return the favor.
Better than my platinum battle axe, at least you can use it.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46442 on: February 28, 2016, 07:26:38 pm »

I have witnessed... something amazing.  My first artifact, a blacksmith went into a mood and created a GOLD ANVIL.  Surely it's a sign... but of what?

EDIT: artifact is named the Boats of Spite, so maybe not a good sign?  It IS a haunted biome, though the undead ice wolves leave me alone and I return the favor.
Better than my platinum battle axe, at least you can use it.
I wouldn't underestimate it. Must be a pretty good blunt weapon.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46443 on: February 28, 2016, 07:42:01 pm »

Work on our new home in this place begins. The Hauld declares that Glymjateme will serve as the Hersir of our warriors, of which presently consist only of him and Brundi. The lumberjacks set to work clearing the way for a shelter, felling trees with haste and disdain for the alfr, whilst  Shasttol labors with haste to forge weapons for them. The alfr are devious, and will be unlikely to wait to slay us.

It didn't take long for the foundations of a longhouse to be built. It will do as a communal home until more dwellings can be built, after which it will likely serve as the Hersir's abode and a place for both he and his men to train for the inevitable.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46444 on: February 28, 2016, 07:46:29 pm »

The first grandchild was born, and a dwarf just grew up who likes giant bat leather. She's gonna be one happy camper in my fort where every dwarf is batman. Primed her for a leatherworking mood.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46445 on: February 28, 2016, 10:04:24 pm »

I've decided to continue with the fort, despite the fact that I've lost half my dwarves. Hopefully we'll recover swiftly.

You can read the story of the were-beast's arrival, and the events which lead to the loyalty cascade, here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156525.msg6841980#msg6841980
Had a similar mess with a 200+ dwarf fort. The bloodbath took it down to 97, and after that the framerate became so abysmal (I can only guess due to miasma clouds?) that I gave up and retired.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46446 on: February 28, 2016, 10:20:11 pm »

Last time I had a big bloodbath (tantrum spiral instigated by a giant olm attack) I sat back for and let the game run for an hour or so while I ate dinner, then came back to find one survivor, and rebuilt from there.

This time I just didn't have the patience for it.

The fort was pretty close to retirement anyway. And so I retired and then decided to go explore it as an adventurer (something I haven't done before) which was kind of fun, though the area around the fort is still really laggy even in adventure mode.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #46447 on: February 28, 2016, 10:23:50 pm »

Field testing DF-Linux running natively on an android tablet.

Currently on a 4x4 embark in a small world with 72 dwarves. Holding steady at 22fps, but available RAM is dipping dangerously low.

Going to install Ironhand graphics pack, and dfhack for unit testing, then scrap this fortress and play on a 3x4 or 3x3 embark.
thanks I got this working, Spazyak246 cancels getting up:Playing dwarffortress
If you get that working please msg me how

It's working right now actually.  You need an android tablet with atom cpu, that is rooted.

The basic process:

Root your android tablet
Install a VNC client. (I use bVNC free)
Install busybox (I use meefik's version)
Install LinuxDeploy
  Set up and deploy a linux distro in LinuxDeploy
Start your chroot linux with LinuxDeploy
Connect to the Localhost over VNC with the VNC client
Install a web browser with apt-get
Download DF Linux and extract it some place inside the chroot.
Configure DF linux for 2D mode (VNC doesnt do opengl!!)
Disable sound (It doesnt work right on android devices.)
run df

Things to check:

My tablet comes factory with zram enabled, with a 256mb compressed swap activated. If your tablet has less than 2gb of ram in it (like mine!), then zram swap will buy you some wiggle room. Just be aware of its consequences.

Due to my tablet's small ram size (1gb), I set the GUI mode to XTERM, and edited my xsession file to use twm. (tiny window manager)  This uses only about 5mb of memory to draw windows in the vnc desktop, but you need to be good with the console, because that is the only way to launch things when set up like that.

I works. I can reliably play for 2+ hours on battery, tested.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46448 on: February 28, 2016, 10:28:37 pm »

Well, I got cocky. I was passing some time in fortress mode after retiring a rhinoceros man adventurer that conquered most of a civilization, I'd embarked in an evil biome planning to seal the dorfs off once they had the means to sustain themselves. After a zombie fox and red panda got their asses handed to them by a few civvies, I decided I might send out my macedwarf after some zombie deer, to prevent them from interrupting us.

Needless to say, one guy in civvie clothes with just a copper mace got his ass whupped. So I promptly had an "oh shit" moment, squaded up the other six, and immediately had them bumrush the undead. Which ended exactly how you'd expect.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46449 on: February 28, 2016, 10:51:23 pm »

Kobolds can grab pairs of items. One has stolen Brundi's boots. As in both of them. Right out of the forge.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46450 on: February 29, 2016, 12:25:11 am »

I've done it. Properly, this time. The idea is simple. 7 dwarves, cast out into a barren land where most of the trees are dead, with little vegetation, where it rains blood and slime, and the dead haunt the living. If that isn't bad enough, there's an aquifer a handful of levels down.

1 copper pick. 1 rope, 1 bucket, 1 boulder. 21 leather. 10 stone blocks. 15 wooden logs. 25 plump helmet spawn. And a token amount of food and drink.

7 dwarves are faced with a sadistic choice. There is little of value to them on the surface, and the aquifer precludes digging deep. So they dig in, drag all their supplies inside, and shut themselves off from the outside world. Just enough material to build a well using the aquifer, basic furnishings for their rooms, and nothing to grow but plump helmets.

And if they survive long enough, every scrap of leather will have to go into making armor that won't wear away like clothing will.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46451 on: February 29, 2016, 12:39:53 am »

Kobolds can grab pairs of items. One has stolen Brundi's boots. As in both of them. Right out of the forge.

I always station a sqaud new the entrance and trade depot so they don't have a chance at all.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46452 on: February 29, 2016, 04:22:58 am »

Spoiler: rant (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:29:28 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46453 on: February 29, 2016, 05:12:02 am »

A masterfully written book that concerns the worthlessness of decorum has given a lot of my dwarves a "finds maintaining decorum a silly, fumbling waste of time" in their profile. I wonder now, if that will prevent a dwarf from getting bad thoughts from being naked. They still get bad thoughts for wearing old clothing. Making all clothes rot away is gonna take some time though, so I won't know for a while.

EDIT: hmm I could ofcourse just give them The Emperor's New Clothes as a military uniform.

EDIT2: Wahahahahahaha it works! It even got rid of the uneasy to be wearing old clothing thought! In the long run it will probably cause a bad thought for not being able to make acquisitions though.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:39:28 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46454 on: February 29, 2016, 07:34:16 am »

My kea slayer squad lost a stupid marksdwarf in a goblin siege.
I didn't notice they ran out of ammo until I saw a random elite marks entered a martial trance and charged forward to bite the goblins (too many beak dogs and trolls followed).

I replaced him with a human mercenary.

R.I.P.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:37:09 am by Libash_Thunderhead »
Pages: 1 ... 3095 3096 [3097] 3098 3099 ... 3842