Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3093 3094 [3095] 3096 3097 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095593 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46410 on: February 27, 2016, 01:28:59 pm »

Odd. Spring arrived, one of my expedition leader's cats died of old age.
First, a dwarf hauled it to the refuse stockpile.
Then, another dwarf put it in a minecart.
Then a third dwarf came and guided the minecart to the refuse quantum dump.
Only after it was dumped there, did I get the 'Urist Mcfluffy, cat has been found dead'. While it was being hauled to the stockpile, and put in the minecart, it was still missing.

Hauling dwarf 1 "ugh gross, there's something dead lying there. I can't look, too gross! I'll just put on some rubber gloves and haul it to the refuse pile without looking, or I'll surely puke"
Hauling dwarf 2 "yuck! WTH did they put in the refuse pile now. I can't look, too gross. I'll just heel-kick it into the minecart."
Cart-pushing dwarf. "Oh hey chief, I found your cat! I think it died in that minecart!"
Urist McSchrodinger. "Has anyone seen my cat? I seem to have misplaced it"

EDIT: holy! The elves brought me a mate for my giant saltwater croc. Gizzard stones incoming haha.
But the holy is for just how much that croc weighs. In the trade screen, it says it weighs 10814 urists. A non giant saltwater croc, which this caravan also brings me, only weighs 864 urists.

Saltwater crocs are already big, typically the equation is to expotentially increase the size of all body parts (and summary the creature) by about 6000 - 10000 or so, resulting in hamsters taller than horses. Thats one big croc you got there.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46411 on: February 27, 2016, 03:19:58 pm »

"He is gigantic with incredible muscles"

Yeah, you can say that again. Wondering if he can swallow a dragon in one bite.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46412 on: February 27, 2016, 03:26:00 pm »

"He is gigantic with incredible muscles"

Yeah, you can say that again. Wondering if he can swallow a dragon in one bite.

In Soviet Russia, dragon is eaten by you? D:
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46413 on: February 27, 2016, 03:35:37 pm »

For some reason I now have a weird retro image in mind of crocodile dundee and a dwarf, in an alley. Crocodile dundee is attacking the dwarf with a crocodile.
The dwarf says "you call that a crocodile?", and pulls a giant saltwater croc from his backpack.

EDIT: 54 giant saltwater crocodile hatchlings just dropped my FPS by 10 points. The Great Caging has begun.

It's like a Catsplosion with capital C
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 05:01:23 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46414 on: February 27, 2016, 04:33:31 pm »

I got attacked by a fire-spewing titan, and my military refuses to attack it because supposedly it's not reachable. I also forgot about the whole burrows thing.

I decided this fortress can go screw itself if it's gonna have soldiers who'd rather let everyone die than wade on some smoldering grass. I'll watch it die by way of giant koala bear.

Or just savescum in impotent miffedness. The "Something has collapsed on the surface!" messages from all the burning trees are worse than just watching my dwarves be idiots. Everyone dying and nobody even TRIED to hit the thing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 04:51:48 pm by DoktaYut »
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46415 on: February 27, 2016, 06:07:39 pm »

Shimmerinked is gurgling and clunking along wonderfully. So far I've discovered magnetite, hematite, gold, silver, platinum, garnierite, and everyone's favorite blue stone: microcline. No flux yet, but the embark screen promised me flux layers on all three of my biomes so I guess I'll just keep digging downward until I hit marble. In the meantime, I have all the flux and pig iron the caravan brought me, so I can upgrade my military to steel warhammers and spears.

Upon checking, I was startled to find that it's only been established as a fortress for nigh on two years, but the calendar doesn't lie. The only eventful event so far was a scourge of vultures interrupting my hauling, which I finally warded off by remembering to order more wooden bolts carved.

However, all this industry means that some things are left undone: In this case, I have sixty-five dwarves and fourteen beds in two dormitories, with no bedrooms even planned. Now that I've exposed the first few cavern layers though, I'm going to go ahead and begin designating bedrooms, noble rooms, a cistern, and a tavern (with guest rooms). Probably also a library. Maybe in the microcline, to inspire Adamantine Thinking? I suppose I'll see.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46416 on: February 27, 2016, 06:51:29 pm »

So, I got a werebear. And so, I decided to have some fun and took care of it with the military. I hadn't bothered to research what happens when you kill one of your own under the curse of lycanthropy. Now I have a better appreciation for the words "loyalty cascade."

I've lost about half of a 200+ fort.

My current favorite highlight was checking a combat report to find out that a bard had picked a fight with the chief medical dwarf.  He was hitting him on the head with a musical instrument called a rigoth (use your imagination? it's not one my civilization produces.) The CMD was already hurting, and was a recent promotion from peasantry because the previous CMD had already deceased. The CMD, after taking a beating, turned the tide of battle and ended it by throttling the bard. Based on a quick skim, it looks like he has a cracked rib.

Don't mess with the medic.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46417 on: February 27, 2016, 06:59:44 pm »

Field testing DF-Linux running natively on an android tablet.

Currently on a 4x4 embark in a small world with 72 dwarves. Holding steady at 22fps, but available RAM is dipping dangerously low.

Going to install Ironhand graphics pack, and dfhack for unit testing, then scrap this fortress and play on a 3x4 or 3x3 embark. 

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46418 on: February 27, 2016, 07:48:38 pm »

A beakless swan forgotten beast came. I opened the hatch door so my militia could deal with it. Suddenly the beast changed course to fight some blind cave ogres and set them cavern on fire. I quickly locked the hatch again.
Now fps has dropped below 30 because of the fire.

!!blind cave ogre corpse!!
Smoke
Ashes
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:50:25 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #46419 on: February 27, 2016, 07:58:35 pm »

Currently on a 4x4 embark in a small world with 72 dwarves. Holding steady at 22fps, but available RAM is dipping dangerously low.

Going to install Ironhand graphics pack, and dfhack for unit testing, then scrap this fortress and play on a 3x4 or 3x3 embark.
If you get that working please msg me how
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46420 on: February 27, 2016, 08:14:09 pm »

If you get that working please msg me how

It's working right now actually.  You need an android tablet with atom cpu, that is rooted.

The basic process:

Root your android tablet
Install a VNC client. (I use bVNC free)
Install busybox (I use meefik's version)
Install LinuxDeploy
  Set up and deploy a linux distro in LinuxDeploy
Start your chroot linux with LinuxDeploy
Connect to the Localhost over VNC with the VNC client
Install a web browser with apt-get
Download DF Linux and extract it some place inside the chroot.
Configure DF linux for 2D mode (VNC doesnt do opengl!!)
Disable sound (It doesnt work right on android devices.)
run df

Things to check:

My tablet comes factory with zram enabled, with a 256mb compressed swap activated. If your tablet has less than 2gb of ram in it (like mine!), then zram swap will buy you some wiggle room. Just be aware of its consequences.

Due to my tablet's small ram size (1gb), I set the GUI mode to XTERM, and edited my xsession file to use twm. (tiny window manager)  This uses only about 5mb of memory to draw windows in the vnc desktop, but you need to be good with the console, because that is the only way to launch things when set up like that.

I works. I can reliably play for 2+ hours on battery, tested.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #46421 on: February 27, 2016, 09:49:58 pm »

http://i.imgur.com/4vnNUA2.gif

One of the best parts about Dwarf Fortress is posting these screenshots out of context and leaving everyone to wonder just what the bitch happened here.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46422 on: February 27, 2016, 11:41:16 pm »

The elven caravan had no problem accepting my elf nail crown.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46423 on: February 28, 2016, 12:06:23 am »

The elven caravan had no problem accepting my elf nail crown.
Why would it? Elves practice cannibalism, after all.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46424 on: February 28, 2016, 01:53:08 am »

A goblin siege. 53 goblins were easily dealt with.
A human caravan came before attacked by keas and left with their goods scattered around.
A moody dwarf created a platinum battle axe. Why wasn't it a hammer!!!
---------------

The dwarvs are still dumping goblins parts. The passage has been painted green by vomits.
I wonder if they can finish before next siege.

----------------

Those naked mole dogs where trapped on some trees for years and they had puppies...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:47:47 am by Libash_Thunderhead »
Pages: 1 ... 3093 3094 [3095] 3096 3097 ... 3842