Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3089 3090 [3091] 3092 3093 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094662 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46350 on: February 24, 2016, 04:16:03 pm »

Though workshops work differently from constructions, and generally use the relevant labors to construct instead. Hence NJW's griping at the metalsmith. Smelters are just well in that they need an architect first.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46351 on: February 24, 2016, 04:19:16 pm »

Guess who just caught himself a cyclops? Since it's over twice the size of any of my giant war polar bears, I've deemed him too dangerous to use as part of my defense system, so one day he's going to become a permanent guest in my tavern.

Well that, and they can't be tamed. :V
Can't tame polar bear men either, but my war animals can handle them if they wander into the fort without getting hit by the traps first and they're liable to just flee off the map anyways, so I'm incorporating them into my defenses. The cyclops, on the other hand.....
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46352 on: February 24, 2016, 04:26:00 pm »

Though workshops work differently from constructions, and generally use the relevant labors to construct instead. Hence NJW's griping at the metalsmith. Smelters are just well in that they need an architect first.

I know.  He said masons build smelters.  I corrected him.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46353 on: February 24, 2016, 04:32:07 pm »

I know.  He said masons build smelters.  I corrected him.

Ah right, doh. >.<
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46354 on: February 24, 2016, 05:35:51 pm »

As a dog person, I kind of regret not removing dogs from the raws because now I see them get hurt badly or even killed in the combat logs, but I need them for early game defense. I guess next time, I'll just edit the raws so that I've got some kind of lizard creature fulfilling the role of dogs.

Plenty of giant polar bear cubs and giant muskoxen calves being born, and a good thing too, because the wild isn't offering me anything interesting anymore. Everything I catch (or in the case of those 2 Yetis, kill in my trapline) is unsuitable both as livestock and as warbeasts. Stoats, giant stoats, coyotes, giant wolves....rubbish, all of it. The polar bear people function as a minor boost to my trapline, so whoop de fucking doo for them. It's kind of nice, though, that I only caught 3 giant polar bears from the wild, as I made the symbol of Frostrim be 3 giant polars posing triumphantly.

Putting my muskoxen and giant muskoxen in the same pasture appears to have been a bad idea....I think I'll need to make some new pastures for all my livestock. Time to download DFHack and starting looking around for a good place to stick the obsidian block.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46355 on: February 24, 2016, 05:38:53 pm »

As a dog person, I kind of regret not removing dogs from the raws because now I see them get hurt badly or even killed in the combat logs, but I need them for early game defense. I guess next time, I'll just edit the raws so that I've got some kind of lizard creature fulfilling the role of dogs.

This hasn't stopped me, being a cat person, from modding cats to be trainable for war, removing their adopt-a-dorf magic, and giving them the [TRANCES] token.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46356 on: February 24, 2016, 05:41:49 pm »

Well, damn. Seems my fort (with tavern, library and temple) isn't attracting any visitors at all, despite being placed close by to civilization, and right in the "bridge" that joins two civ-filled islands, including several mountainhomes. Oh, well.

There was also an attack by a werepanther, but he seemed more interested in mauling everyone's pets than killing dwarves. Only thing was a guy getting his ankle snapped in half, crutches solved that. In the meantime I've made an appropriate image for every god in this fortress, and apparently one of them is a fearsome chinchilla that rules over fire, mountains and volcanoes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 05:44:16 pm by DoktaYut »
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46357 on: February 24, 2016, 05:44:46 pm »

Uh, has there been a DFHack release for 42.06 yet? The 42.05 alpha isn't doing shit.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46358 on: February 24, 2016, 05:49:03 pm »

Nope, still waiting on dfhack for .06. I pulled and built from the develop branch this morning and it still doesn't recognize .06. I think they're getting close to an alpha, though.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46359 on: February 24, 2016, 05:49:38 pm »

Looks like I'll be doing some old fashioned exploratory mining then...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46360 on: February 24, 2016, 07:12:10 pm »

A child went fey and made an artefact bone warhammer. It's weight is <1 Urists.

Which would be better for a hammerer (which would do less damage), this bone warhammer, or an artefact aluminum warhammer? (I have a dwarf primed to make an aluminum one, but if this bone one is less damaging, I'll rather have him make a silver one)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 07:15:39 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46361 on: February 24, 2016, 07:19:27 pm »

The bone hammer, it's 5 times less dense and I don't think there are any other material differences that matter.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #46362 on: February 24, 2016, 07:29:02 pm »

A bard went fey and created a bone shield/buckler. Yay?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46363 on: February 24, 2016, 07:36:46 pm »

Very yay, since the material values of shields don't affect how well they protect. Only things that matter are quality, whether it's a shield versus a buckler, and density (denser is better on the rare event the user smacks an enemy with it instead of using their weapon, lighter is better to keep speed up).
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #46364 on: February 24, 2016, 07:38:37 pm »

Very yay, since the material values of shields don't affect how well they protect. Only things that matter are quality, whether it's a shield versus a buckler, and density (denser is better on the rare event the user smacks an enemy with it instead of using their weapon, lighter is better to keep speed up).

Right.

Apparently a wooden buckler can protect against dragonfire without burning or melting, right?
Pages: 1 ... 3089 3090 [3091] 3092 3093 ... 3842