Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3085 3086 [3087] 3088 3089 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093758 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46290 on: February 23, 2016, 11:04:22 am »

You also never cut an underground tree?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46291 on: February 23, 2016, 11:07:12 am »

Not yet. The FB from earlier got stuck up a tree, and I'm not sure the fall would kill him. I'm not going to mess around with the caverns until I've got farming figured out, so for now, the elves will be pleased.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46292 on: February 23, 2016, 11:33:19 am »

You also never cut an underground tree?

Does that really upset the elves?  It shouldn't be any of their business what happens down there!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46293 on: February 23, 2016, 11:41:10 am »

It shouldn't but that's how it is.

Caught 5 stoat people long ago, now I'm going to have my giant war polar bears slaughter them as a measure of their effectiveness. I have also just captured a polar bear man and polar bear woman.....too dangerous to use for testing. Perhaps I shall incorporate them into my defense system.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46294 on: February 23, 2016, 11:44:34 am »

Uh. Ok. Giant black mambas are weird. I got above message when a batch of 26 giant black mamba eggs hatched. They apperently lack a hatchling stage, for they hatch as adults.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46295 on: February 23, 2016, 11:46:10 am »

Ouch. Say goodbye to the prospect of ever fully taming them.

Edit: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ONE OF THE GIANT WAR POLAR BEARS GAVE BIRTH TO TRIPLETS SOON I SHALL BE INVINCIBLE!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 11:49:19 am by cochramd »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46296 on: February 23, 2016, 11:58:19 am »

I gen another small world with a Hobbitton challenge in mind. 

But then I got distracted trying to fit my first 7 founders into their niche roles because I chose a spot with 3 tower neighbors as bonus.

Obvious I am already deviating from the classic Hobbit, but it's the spirit of the challenge that counts.
I decided:
1. hunter+butcher because these hobbits are meat eaters. 
2. hunter+tanner+leatherworker because I want them armored at least
3. woodcutter+kitchen duties because hobbits need to eat plenty
4. herbalist+grower+miner I just want my herbalist to have weapons
5. herbalist+doctor+miner+mechanic+clothing because I want a fancy water wheel for the millstone
6. mason+noble duties - i was thinking clay pottery, but I'll just do stone pots made from jet stones
7. forge - this dude likes warhammer, so I'm going to train him to make bolts to get weaponsmith mood level

It's always fun to get started.  I found Jute plants, so I got the herbalists gather them first and I'm starting to crank out jute bags. 

Half of the 4x4 embark has a soil hill up to 2z high, and I want to flatten them down.  Somehow, chanelling 1z has created several cave-ins but no injury. 

The entire embark is aquifer, so I'm not breaching it anytime soon. 

Umm, making "wood blocks" is a pain and slow, so I am thinking of just making normal log walls around.

I have not enabled hunting yet, but I will soon enough as I got some migrants in the Summer.

I only built 3 hobbit "houses" and I am not liking it so I'll think on its design issues.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46297 on: February 23, 2016, 12:09:43 pm »

Edit: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ONE OF THE GIANT WAR POLAR BEARS GAVE BIRTH TO TRIPLETS SOON I SHALL BE INVINCIBLE!
Don't worry they were brought by the elves so they are already fully tame

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46298 on: February 23, 2016, 12:37:14 pm »

Don't worry they were brought by the elves so they are already fully tame
Then you are quite lucky.

Me, on the other hand.....well, I just got another goblin siege much earlier than expected and it was a big one with trolls. I checked the civs screen and what do you know, I'm at war with 2 goblin civilizations. The trapline held up, though, and it's not even complete yet, so more goblinite for me I guess. I've captured 2 trolls, and am wondering if it's safe to test my war bears on them....

Several fawns and calves of my captured herds are reaching adulthood. GOOD. When the domestic population is large enough, I'll slaughter the wild-caught adults and free up dwarf labor from training. Plus, they'll stop trying to follow their trainers and will stay in their damned pastures....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:42:34 pm by cochramd »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46299 on: February 23, 2016, 01:44:30 pm »

All my civ nobles are goblins.

The goblin diplomat, the smug prick, is telling three of my dwarves how a goblin became chief medical dwarf of a dwarven fortress.

Matters must be taken into one's own hands, at this stage. A better omen was the visit of two human warriors as soon as I opened a tavern.

One wheel short of a wagon

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46300 on: February 23, 2016, 02:14:47 pm »

From recent thread on dwarven cavalry I was curious if dwarf can consume food and drinks from minecart while riding. I set up small testing site to check this, and after a while I have found pretty funny scene there. I even made a video of it.

It's a pity, dwarf cannot drink from the cart he is riding, eh. Unlike the rest of the dorfs in the fortress though :)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46301 on: February 23, 2016, 02:31:47 pm »

That has me wishing that dwarven invaders would arrive riding minecarts instead of mundane cavalry, like they'll do if you piss them off while having modded another civ to be playable.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46302 on: February 23, 2016, 02:48:31 pm »

Either I misread the civ screen earlier or one goblin civilization went extinct VERY quickly, because it appears I'm only at war with one goblin civilization.

I've noticed that whenever the human or dwarven caravan comes to trade, all productivity in the fort comes to a halt as every last dwarf takes it upon themselves to haul shit to the depot. I set up some nearby stockpiles, but they seem to have done little good. Maybe I haven't given them time to work through the backlog yet. Maybe I should just stop producing crafts and buying out caravans. I don't know, I'll give it some time.

STILL haven't gotten to farming stuff other than plump helmets. I swear, I'll start in the spring. Since I'm in the trapping and taming business, I'm not struggling for food, but I've never gotten over 1000 units of booze in this fort because of this farming mod.

I learned today that unprocessed wool is stored in the refuse stockpile, much to my surprise.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46303 on: February 23, 2016, 02:51:44 pm »

I've noticed that whenever the human or dwarven caravan comes to trade, all productivity in the fort comes to a halt as every last dwarf takes it upon themselves to haul shit to the depot. I set up some nearby stockpiles, but they seem to have done little good. Maybe I haven't given them time to work through the backlog yet. Maybe I should just stop producing crafts and buying out caravans. I don't know, I'll give it some time.

Happens every time.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46304 on: February 23, 2016, 03:19:07 pm »

Yeah, but I've got a case so bad nothing gets done until the caravan packs up and leaves.

I've figured out my crop schedule except for dimple cups. Do dyes even work properly in 42.06? I remember in 42.03 there was some stockpile issue that made it difficult.

Also, I've got another pair of giant polar bear triplets now.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:25:40 pm by cochramd »

Pages: 1 ... 3085 3086 [3087] 3088 3089 ... 3842