Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3030 3031 [3032] 3033 3034 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121053 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45465 on: January 13, 2016, 01:07:06 pm »

One of my dorfs have promoted themselves into the monarchy... it probably means the previous monarch has croaked... and not from old age if the legendsviewer is working right.  It might be a rock bird or something, the previous monarch worshipped like 11 different rock birds.  All probably from the same family of rock birds too.  (Though, records show that other beasts have destroyed some of the other settlements...)

Nearly half my fort population are goblin entertainers... who do nothing but hang around the tavern.  The naked bastards.  I should probably be a tiny bit more picky... rather then accepting each and every scum that throws a petition my way...  Either they are drinking my alcohol or my dorfs can now outdrink the full time production of 1 Still.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45466 on: January 13, 2016, 01:48:05 pm »

One of my dorfs have promoted themselves into the monarchy... it probably means the previous monarch has croaked... and not from old age if the legendsviewer is working right.  It might be a rock bird or something, the previous monarch worshipped like 11 different rock birds.  All probably from the same family of rock birds too.  (Though, records show that other beasts have destroyed some of the other settlements...)

Nearly half my fort population are goblin entertainers... who do nothing but hang around the tavern.  The naked bastards.  I should probably be a tiny bit more picky... rather then accepting each and every scum that throws a petition my way...  Either they are drinking my alcohol or my dorfs can now outdrink the full time production of 1 Still.
Goblins dont drink, unless you have a barkeeper serving them drinks, in which case I'm still not sure if they'll actually drink.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Player111444

• Bay Watcher
  • I Fight for Nod!! POWER:30 PEACE:35
    • View Profile
« Reply #45467 on: January 13, 2016, 02:22:43 pm »

I have a problem in my dwarven fortress Drunkenbones. Deep inside a caverns there's a terrible problem within drunkenbones' beauty and a few a temples with one finely tavern with a human bard resident ( Useless Hooman! )  and a small library that still has no books yet.

No my problem is the one lurking down in the caverns when the miners discovered it...

A towering hairy frog, it has a short trunk and it is slavering, Its slate gray hair is unkempt, Beware it's webs! Omep Surthrithur! 

Luckly my miners were safe from that beast, that big hairy frog thing with a hairy trunk as well, They watched the beast from a hole below them where they throw refuse made by the neighbor's cats and the slain monitor lizard men along with lion men as well ( including the chef's cooked biscuits that the dwarves left creating miasma in the dinning room + tavern!. ).

the miners watched every kill that that frog thing made also spitting webs from its hairy mouth. everything it killed and also pitifully fighting back leaving scars and scratches along of decapitating it's trunk ( which made it even more angrier then ever. ).

The dwarves of drunkenbones wished to dig further down. ( and hopefully find some iron ores along the way. hematite and magnetite hopefully.) and they built a corridor down and a few traps laid there, three large serrated discs and a steel spear and 2 cage traps with a few doors along the way.

It did not work because Omep somehow avoided the traps! but after passing the door i immediately forbid it and made a new stairway down to the cavern where it is safe. but alas the beast still lives...

I told a small ragtag squad composed of 2 dwarves. i told them to station on the cell that where the beast is. I let one in that's not the militia captain ( because hes awesome. )

Omep didn't care and didn't take a scratch at all from that puny macedwarf and his =silver mace=. He kicked the macedwarf in the fricken head and it explodes in gore and propelled his sorry flying carcass into the wall! luckily we were able to retrieve his body and his =silver mace= along with a new replacement.

we have dug a room north of the wretched beast's cell and i don't know i should throw in a ballista or a dwarven firing squad ( Composed of hunters ).

Oh yeah omep killed alot of things down in the caverns so its safe to say that one of his skills are legendary ( In kicking things! )

however one idiot dwarf made a *masterwork* silk out off the big hairy freaking toad's webs! should i kill him with a firing squad or a big arrow to the face or maybe a magma bath

or i should i let that freaking hairy freaking toad live because of that *masterwork* silk.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Added spoiler tag.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:56:57 pm by Player111444 »
It's been a long time old friend.

Not a fan of CnC Rivals.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45468 on: January 13, 2016, 02:29:05 pm »

You could always dig a tunnel next to the cavern and carve fortifications in the wall between the tunnel and the cavern, so marksdwarves can shoot through but the beast can't get to them. It might still be able to shoot webs through fortifications, though.

Forgotten beasts ignore traps. I think they can also break down doors, so don't rely on just doors stopping it. Either build a drawbridge and raise it, or else build a wall to block it off.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Player111444

• Bay Watcher
  • I Fight for Nod!! POWER:30 PEACE:35
    • View Profile
« Reply #45469 on: January 13, 2016, 02:38:56 pm »

You could always dig a tunnel next to the cavern and carve fortifications in the wall between the tunnel and the cavern, so marksdwarves can shoot through but the beast can't get to them. It might still be able to shoot webs through fortifications, though.

You mean like this??

Don't worry Omep is trapped in there. also heres the dorf that Omep killed btw.

Right now im going to start building walls around the cavern area so that there's no random giant olms biting a head off a dwarf or unwanted trog attacks.
Drunkenbones is safe. For now...

EDIT: Added spoiler tags and fixed some grammar here and there. ( its 4 AM in the morning so yeah theres that... )
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:59:57 pm by Player111444 »
It's been a long time old friend.

Not a fan of CnC Rivals.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45470 on: January 13, 2016, 02:52:00 pm »

please use
tags for large imges like that. EDIT: cool, thanks!
Good luck with that FB.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:04:48 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45471 on: January 13, 2016, 02:56:54 pm »

Sounds like you have things under control.

I like the "United with tin" epitaph.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45472 on: January 13, 2016, 03:18:07 pm »

There is this one dorf in my fort who keeps on climbing trees... at least once per season, over the last 2 years... I've found him stuck at top of a tree.  It is always the same dorf. 
There are no threats or anything to scare him up the trees.

the dwarf is a herbalist and wanted to pick fruit. Case closed. :U
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #45473 on: January 13, 2016, 03:35:43 pm »

Aww you cut off its trunk!
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45474 on: January 13, 2016, 03:37:44 pm »

There is this one dorf in my fort who keeps on climbing trees... at least once per season, over the last 2 years... I've found him stuck at top of a tree.  It is always the same dorf. 
There are no threats or anything to scare him up the trees.

the dwarf is a herbalist and wanted to pick fruit. Case closed. :U
Yes, but I have around 15 other herbalists picking fruit.  It is always this one that ends up stuck.  No other has given me the same problem.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45475 on: January 13, 2016, 03:38:23 pm »

He's clearly very enthusiastic.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45476 on: January 13, 2016, 04:07:12 pm »

hm, that's weird. I noticed that Onul Idunal, captain of the second melee squad 'the great oars' was the tenth member of the second crossbow squad as well. Trying to remove him from that latter position instead removed him from the great oars - remaining a 'mcap' in the crossbows. Given that Onul was not as good at melee-dwarfing as Logem I tried to make Logem mcap. So Logem now took both first and second position in the great oars.  ::) Luckily, replacing Logem2 with Onul means it now seems to work. Even if Onul was demoted.  - and he's still tenth of the marksdwarfs. I should replace him there too.

Edit; dubya tee eff. fRemoving Onul there, swapping him for another Onul, opens second place in the great oars.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:09:15 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45477 on: January 13, 2016, 04:31:16 pm »

Station each squad in a different place and see is Onul ends up running back and forth.

BTW, what uniform is he wearing?

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45478 on: January 13, 2016, 05:31:56 pm »

Anyone else getting stupid military dwarves run out to get equipment during a siege ... obviously running straight into said siege - on their own - even though the items are forbidden and not inside the burrow?

Anyone reported that as a bug already?

EDIT:
I don't even know what he wanted to get, he has full steel armor, a steel weapon, a backpack and as it seems an iron shield. I only made wooden shields, because they are much lighter.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 05:35:13 pm by SyrusLD »
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45479 on: January 13, 2016, 06:00:13 pm »

Alas, it appears that you can only make instruments and instrument components from green glass after all. Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about running out.

All but one of the pumps in my magma pumpstack are running manually, one to be extra-prepared for this winter's goblin siege and two so that I have more skilled pump operators around when recruiting for my engineering school.

What's a good way to train social skills and attributes? I've noticed that several of them train linguistic ability, which is quite important for potential scholars, and that my duke can't manage to negotiate any extra trees from the elves. I've tried appointing dwarfs as brokers, and while it's great for getting a massive boost in analytical ability, intuition and memory (well it is for the human and dwarven caravans, not so much for the smaller elven caravan) it's not doing much good in the linguistic and social departments.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)
Pages: 1 ... 3030 3031 [3032] 3033 3034 ... 3842