Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2953 2954 [2955] 2956 2957 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093445 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44310 on: December 07, 2015, 04:35:54 pm »

I've been websurfing (does anyone besides me still say that?) architectural layouts for pantheonistic temples. Hindu temples seem the most dwarfy to me so far, actually incorporating multiple divinities into the same building. Don't see a lot of that in Greco-Roman stuff.

It's not really "in" my fort, but....
One Greek equivalent might be the acropolis of Athens. Although it was dominated by structures devoted to Athena, there were a few allowances for other deities, notably the Erechtheion with its temple to Poseidon and a couple altars for Hephaestus and Voutos. It also hosted the temple of Athena Nike, which could be a temple to Nike if you disregard the mashing together of desirable gods with the city's patron goddess.
I would also suggest any ancient structure called a "pantheon" or "pantheum," most notably the Pantheon of Rome.  As per the name, these were universal, pantheistic temples dedicated to all the gods, though outside of the Pantheon in Rome, I believe the only remaining structures of the name were actually Enlightenment-era or later constructions named after the Roman original.  It is correct, though, that most Greco-Roman temples tended to be devoted to specific cults.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44311 on: December 07, 2015, 04:41:02 pm »

Completed a 10,000 year worldgen in v0.42.02.  (312MB XML export)
There are 15,889 Artifacts, all of which appear to be books.  :o
And a few elves that are over 8000 years old.
Most of the starting dwarves are really good at playing one or more musical instruments, dancing, and poetry.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44312 on: December 07, 2015, 04:47:16 pm »

But apparently, a lack of instruments is not an insurmountable obstacle -- when my first migrant wave showed up, they ran to my tavern room and organized an a cappella performance. One dwarf started chanting, and the others now show their activity as "Simulate [instrument]." They're even making do with fewer instruments than the performance guidelines call for, so I guess they just really wanted to make this happen for me!

(Also turns out they're simulating instruments they have no skill in, on a song that three of the five were unfamiliar with before they started... Looks like the "Master Musician" skill on the leader was quite useful.)
Yeah, dwarves love to beat box and play air guitar. Has anybody seen them play any actual instruments yet? I've got five built in my tavern, and thirty handheld ones in various chests, and still they prefer to beat box.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44313 on: December 07, 2015, 05:03:16 pm »

Most of the starting dwarves are really good at playing one or more musical instruments, dancing, and poetry.
holy beegeezus how long did that take you? 500 year worldgens already take at least half an hour for me
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #44314 on: December 07, 2015, 05:10:13 pm »

1. Wait for dwarves to die of drinking
2. Find the profiles of said dwarves through relatives
3. Note commonalities
4. ???
5. Profit!

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44315 on: December 07, 2015, 05:13:26 pm »

What did you do, leave DF running overnight?

I'm astounded that a) it didn't crash and b) it isn't all one race (say: vampiresplosion?).
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44316 on: December 07, 2015, 05:20:12 pm »

It only takes a few minutes if you limit things appropriately..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was just testing to see what impact, if any, a longer worldgen had on the new features in 42.x.

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44317 on: December 07, 2015, 05:26:38 pm »

By the Gods, the floodgates look different lads an lasses!
It's mesmerizin an all that other poetry-talk.

*spits on the ground with a shifty look in the eyes*

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44318 on: December 07, 2015, 05:29:17 pm »

After a few years with no invasions other than a few kobold thieves, the local goblin civilization decided to introduce themselves by throwing a siege at me.
Only managed to suffer two casualties, and for whatever reason the goblins completely ignored a random human bard visitor standing in front of the walls.

The goblins seem to ignore visitors in general. I had two squads of goblins, beakdogs, and trolls in front of my gate, and during the few months of sieging many bards and scholars walked literally through the mass of goblins into my fort.

The goblins didn't move in because of the 4-year-old bug "goblins don't move from their dead leaders" (cmon toady fixit). Their leaders were the first to jump onto my traps, so the goblins just camped at his corpse for months while visitors happily trundled through them, in and out of my fort.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44319 on: December 07, 2015, 06:49:49 pm »

I'm so happy, it's the year (problably) 8 of my fortress and the 4th gob siege came.
not just a 30/40 gob siege, but a great gob siege came, never saw such fantastic siege since long lived forts in 34.11
237 gobs+trolls+beak dogs+a few traitors dwarves and humans are now advancing on my fortress
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I must have pissed them off a lot after utterly annihilating with my soldiers their 3 first sieges.
I'm so happy to see that, 42.x sieges are back at being fun :)

Tough i'm going to wait for the next DF release to fight that siege with my 4 full squads that are composed by now with nearly half legendary/high master soldiers.
Because the next DF release has the nasty "don't want to equip armor" bug fixed ! so i can have my 40 dwarves fighting with all they can :)

And what's surprising me is that it's actually playable.
Maybe due the field being 3x3 and me using quantum stockpile to minimize the stockpile areas and using a lot the atom smasher to get rid of the usefull/worthless stuff (and get rid of corpse to avoid the dwarves getting the multiple "horrified by seeing enemy die" apparent bug that had lead a previous df2014 fort to massive depression)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 06:53:18 pm by Robsoie »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44320 on: December 07, 2015, 08:55:53 pm »

I got a big pipeline built to feed a waterfall to the future tavern.  I built a floor grate into the tavern floor, but that leads to some 1/7 water around the falls, maybe I should get rid of it.  I plan on hitching a waterwheel to power the system, but I need to lever up the gear assembly first.

I've also notices the liason has never actually left.  He's still there in the meeting hall.  Its at least mid-winter and the trade caravan is long gone by now.

Also, gold goblets for everyone.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44321 on: December 07, 2015, 09:58:05 pm »

I got a big pipeline built to feed a waterfall to the future tavern.  I built a floor grate into the tavern floor, but that leads to some 1/7 water around the falls, maybe I should get rid of it.  I plan on hitching a waterwheel to power the system, but I need to lever up the gear assembly first.

I've also notices the liason has never actually left.  He's still there in the meeting hall.  Its at least mid-winter and the trade caravan is long gone by now.

Also, gold goblets for everyone.

The liaison thing was a nice surprise for me. He was my first real visitor to my tavern and stayed, socialized and told stories before leaving.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44322 on: December 07, 2015, 10:22:19 pm »

The liaison thing was a nice surprise for me. He was my first real visitor to my tavern and stayed, socialized and told stories before leaving.

That's the thing though.  I don't have a proper tavern set up, nor did I get any sort of message of him wanting to stay.

He's also still listed as a diplomat in the Units screen.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44323 on: December 07, 2015, 10:26:03 pm »

That's the thing though.  I don't have a proper tavern set up, nor did I get any sort of message of him wanting to stay.

He's also still listed as a diplomat in the Units screen.
I'm fuzzy on the specifics but I think it's a thing that diplomats actually hang out instead of hi,bye, 1000 mile trek.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44324 on: December 07, 2015, 10:30:26 pm »

He's probably going to write a scathing review on TripAdvisor.
Pages: 1 ... 2953 2954 [2955] 2956 2957 ... 3842