Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2898 2899 [2900] 2901 2902 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099217 times)

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43485 on: October 23, 2015, 01:05:04 pm »

Goblins wiped out half my fort then I noticed something in one of my dwarfs inventory that I'd not seen before, TEARS!!! poor little guy was crying in his hospital bed.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43486 on: October 23, 2015, 01:21:33 pm »

Caught myself another dragon. Now I have a breeding pair. Operation dragon turrets commencing. Demons are fire proof alright, but are they dragon fire proof?

Probably, yeah. Some of them can breathe dragonfire if the RNG wills it.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43487 on: October 23, 2015, 02:28:53 pm »

The trainers continue to frustrate me by not immediately training every infant as soon as I assign them for training. It appears that I won't be getting my crocsplosion any time soon; I suppose that I have no excuse to put off not showing my training screen again. I mean, it's pretty long now so it's not like I have anything to be ashamed of:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*GASP*

I WAS WRONG! NO SOONER DID I MAKE THIS POST THAN A BATCH OF CAVE CROCODILE EGGS HATCHED! COME ON, TRAINERS, LET'S GET OUR FORTRESS TO EXPERT!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 02:36:05 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43488 on: October 23, 2015, 02:32:38 pm »

I didn't know you could train cave blobs.

Yeah, it's annoying, but I've never once in 48 off and on years of animal training had an animal grow up before I could train it without some kind of extenuating circumstances.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43489 on: October 23, 2015, 04:06:27 pm »

Turns out I can't tell a 1 from a -, who would've thought. No matter!

Caught three troglodytes that dodged into cage traps near my cavern entrance. They'll make fun smashing targets for the new squad I'm gearing up.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43490 on: October 23, 2015, 04:11:36 pm »

Turns out I can't tell a 1 from a -, who would've thought. No matter!

Caught three troglodytes that dodged into cage traps near my cavern entrance. They'll make fun smashing targets for the new squad I'm gearing up.
Careful you don't get a trogsplosion. I did in my previous fort by accidentally capturing somewhere in the vicinity of 40 in cave-entrance traps. They then somehow managed to breed in the captured creature stockpile while inside cages, and there were so many I didn't know what to do with them.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43491 on: October 23, 2015, 06:02:15 pm »

Careful you don't get a trogsplosion. I did in my previous fort by accidentally capturing somewhere in the vicinity of 40 in cave-entrance traps. They then somehow managed to breed in the captured creature stockpile while inside cages, and there were so many I didn't know what to do with them.
It happens to me now and again, though never bad enough to be called a "splosion". As far as I can tell it's always a case of the trogs mating before they get captured.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43492 on: October 23, 2015, 06:10:44 pm »

Wow that is kind of terrible. I am going to watch out for that then, there are a lot of these suckers. Definitely going to carve out a secondary barracks for my new squad lower down. They can make the trek back upstairs to eat.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Wormser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43493 on: October 23, 2015, 07:49:41 pm »

Well ended a fort after finding a cavern. My first since I wanted to do a new one using what I learned from that one in a new one. So decided to go find one. After 40 levels down or so. I hit one... The spot was 2 z levels above the ground... Needless to say. Not want. But, looke around and saw spder webs (thanks to the tile set) and saw a bunch of dead dead trogs  and near one back was a splattering of blood from a cave croc.

New fort... On a Glacier for fun... Choose the site because it had no aquafier and no trees.... While setting up camp for down under near a tree. Yeti(?) attacked. One of the 2 dogs attacked it on its own. Then formed a squad to help kill it... Some time later. Another happened along without me noticing. Dogs likely killed it... While digging out my farming spot. Was getting damp stone alerts... Dug up along the edge and dug up und over. Yup.... Aquifer... At least I don't have to worry about dehydration or digging down and finding a cavern with water. Plus close enough to the surface I can do fun stuff with it to unwanted guests...

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43494 on: October 24, 2015, 04:17:15 am »

...well that was weird. I check the unit screen as I tend to do out of habit, making sure there aren't tooooo many trogs around and seeing if I've caught any more of the dingo pack running around. And with no fanfare or anything, there's apparently a random diplomat here. Ubuh?

The pompous elf strolls right on it and tells the baron that we need to stop abusing the trees. Does this mean no elf caravan? :c I want my exotic pets...

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43495 on: October 24, 2015, 05:14:56 am »

...well that was weird. I check the unit screen as I tend to do out of habit, making sure there aren't tooooo many trogs around and seeing if I've caught any more of the dingo pack running around. And with no fanfare or anything, there's apparently a random diplomat here. Ubuh?

The pompous elf strolls right on it and tells the baron that we need to stop abusing the trees. Does this mean no elf caravan? :c I want my exotic pets...

I think it means you have several months to cut down every tree in sight.
The elf diplomat will return after several months and say you have abused the forest and are evil, stumpy Gaia-destroyers from hell.
Then he will demand that you restrict the number of trees cut down per year to 100...or else.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43496 on: October 24, 2015, 07:44:29 am »

I think it means you have several months to cut down every tree in sight.
The elf diplomat will return after several months and say you have abused the forest and are evil, stumpy Gaia-destroyers from hell.
Then he will demand that you restrict the number of trees cut down per year to 100...or else.

The limit isn't 100, although that is the beginning of the negotiation.  It seems to depend upon the skills of your baron.  My current duchess is legendary +4 in negotiation and persuasion, and I am routinely asked to limit my tree cutting to 140 - 150.

Negotiation/persuasion/intimidation gain skill by acting as a broker, and I believe these annual visits from diplomats also add skill.  The amount of profit you have to give traders to keep them happy seems to depend upon these skills as well.  When I changed brokers from the duchess to a new broker, my ability to get goods with a 1% profit for the trader abruptly vanished.

The elven diplomat returns yearly, unless something detains them, at which point you'll negotiate a fresh treaty.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43497 on: October 24, 2015, 07:47:02 am »

Huh okay. So basically tree murder now so it doesn't become an issue later.

I CAN DO THAT gogogo my people. Fell all the trees in this woodland realm.

EDIT: ...how appropriate. First death by falling logs. Hit the guy in the head a few times then apparently exploded his upper body. Shame, he was one of my better animal trainers. Oh well.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 08:27:35 am by FortunaDraken »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43498 on: October 24, 2015, 09:47:01 am »

A kid got possessed and claimed a craftsdwarf workshop. It's always a laugh to see kids hauling stone because they're in a mood, even if it's a stone that could be put to better use like lignite.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43499 on: October 24, 2015, 11:24:54 am »

At voidspider, the elves sent their diplomat to complain of the tree-felling ways of the dwarves.  This caravan disappointed with some monkeys and cat-like creatures (Bobcat, Jackal, Ocelot).  After that one year with the rhinoceros, I'm disappointed in the elves.  They may get trade this year, but they might have problems if they disappoint again.

On another note, I've apparently got 600+ bars of lead at Voidspider, and don't know what to do with it!
Pages: 1 ... 2898 2899 [2900] 2901 2902 ... 3842