Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2896 2897 [2898] 2899 2900 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098826 times)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43455 on: October 22, 2015, 07:18:53 am »

...huh. So caravan arrives. I proceed to forbid the door to the mayor's room as she's having a nap. This results in the liason sitting on the edge of the map. Apparently he's hauling an empty bucket. Huh.

And now an Ettin has arrived. Funnily enough last year it was a giant. Betting the caravan guards slaughter this thing again.

EDIT: Haha, or not. It spawned where I had a line of cage traps set up along the edge of the map. Boop, in you go. I have a pet Ettin. You're going in the dining room.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:20:42 am by FortunaDraken »
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43456 on: October 22, 2015, 07:38:13 am »

This gigantic, fat cave bear might be an excellent stud, but he refuses to head to the trapline. What do I have to do, slather a dwarf in honey and use him for bait?

Also, damn those crundles trained fast. Now I just have to wait for them all to be slaughtered.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:41:12 am by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43457 on: October 22, 2015, 07:55:50 am »

One outpost liason successfully trapped in a bedroom, and FINALLY my first cavern! Only took digging down to level 6 to find one (which means I'm betting this is actually cavern layer 2 at least, maybe 3). There are dead elk birds and cave swallows all over the place. Also a troglodyte body that's miasma-ing up the place. Haha he's lost his head.

Time to slap a hatch cover on that bad boy and work out a safer way down than drop into open space.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43458 on: October 22, 2015, 08:01:23 am »

You found what might be your second cavern layer only 6 layers below the surface? That sounds impossible.

Anyhow, I've had a terrible realization: the next crocsplosion is going to supply me all the cave crocodiles I'll need for the next couple decades, but that means some 6 or 7 decades in the future my entire population will start dying off at the same time because of the population cap. Oh, the horror!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43459 on: October 22, 2015, 08:34:14 am »

Oh no, only 6 layers above the depth of 0. It's like...layer 193. Sorry I tend to try and use the lower number because DFhack's prospect seems to use it and I kept forgetting which to use XD

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43460 on: October 22, 2015, 08:59:32 am »

i had a forgotten beast attack my fort...military was shite due to no iron or copper to make weapons or armor...killed everybody.

i still got one insane adult,one dying farmer, and 2 kids. im gonna see if maybe i can salvage this with them

update to this: The two dorf kids survived,farmer is dead,the adult armorer is dead, i got few migrants(half of them fishers and the other half useless shit like rangers and potters..) managed to wall in the fb to one of the living quarters...it costed me the potter..but that doesnt matter.

im now in the process of burying the dead after painstakingly getting my industry back going.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43461 on: October 22, 2015, 09:53:00 am »

Oh no, only 6 layers above the depth of 0. It's like...layer 193. Sorry I tend to try and use the lower number because DFhack's prospect seems to use it and I kept forgetting which to use XD
193 layers? Sheesh, I've never had a map that went that deep, let alone a map where that was where one of the cavern layers started.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #43462 on: October 22, 2015, 03:07:25 pm »

Good things: I caught a GCS and a necromancer, and a good breeding population of giant badgers.
Bad things: Lots of zombies, no iron. Hoping I can build a dwarven blender to eliminate them.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43463 on: October 22, 2015, 03:30:00 pm »

193 layers? Sheesh, I've never had a map that went that deep, let alone a map where that was where one of the cavern layers started.
I think I might've genned a very weird world XD By the look of it...the deepest layer is 1128. That is quite a bit deeper than I'd expect...flat land too so my fort entrance is on 0. Huh.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43464 on: October 22, 2015, 04:41:28 pm »

I installed an accurate once-a-day signal (in the meeting hall and in the duchess' bedroom) - opens a hatch exactly once every day, precise to the step. Yeah, another clock-capable oscillator. The basic repeat period is 600 steps, i.e. half a day. It just needs to feed a one-two counter to generate the daily signal, and i had one of those lying around already. It runs on a single minecart (of course) and needs no power:

..^╗        ..╔╗
..║▲0       ..║╚0
0▲╝║▲0      0╗╝║╔0
0▲║║▲0      0═║║═0
0▲║╔▲0      0╝║╔╚0
.0▲X        .0╗║
..╚╝        ..╚╝

Ramps/     Track
buildings

0 - Wall
▲ - Ramp, all of them impulse ramps
^ - Pressure plate that generates the output signal (twice a day)
X - Floodgate to stop the cart if desired

The cart bounces north-south on each of the three-ramp series most of the time: it is thrown into the array from the side at notable speed, thus collides with the limiting wall before accelerating along the line. The cart will thus start out at the very limit of the tile, practically scraping on the wall. The EW ramp between the opposing ramps accelerates the cart to the side once everytime it passes, but only for a single step, and the speed is instantly cancelled after leaving the tile (those are both checkpoint effects).

Thus, on each passage, the cart is displaced ~4900 length units to the side. A ramp tile is a bit over 140.000 units wide, so it takes 29 passes until the displacements carry the cart off the row of ramps. The cart goes through the northern resp. southern loop and passes to the other ramp array, at sufficient speed to bang into the wall and start the full displacement cycle on that side as well. With the small extra loops, the total time consumed for every full cycle comes to precisely 600 steps.

I didn't bother to take a picture, it ended up rather untidy, and it's pretty much impossible to explain without the diagrams anyway.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:43:58 pm by Larix »

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43465 on: October 22, 2015, 08:50:05 pm »

Year 48.  Population 159.  As autumn arrived, so did another goblin siege.  That was easy enough to handle, but as we were doing cleanup and dealing with the dwarven caravan, a forgotten beast strolled into the second cavern layer.

While scoping out the situation, I ran into a pair of matched, severed legs in the kitchen and another roc corpse.  Looks like another of the rocs escaped containment and ran into one of the military, which caused one of those tame roc loyalty fubars.  One of my gem cutters wound up on the wrong end of the roc, although the details are lost along with the combat report.

She can still drag herself around, but she's so slow there's no point.  I've relieved her of all duties aside from woodcutting, which I leave her so that she'll continue to carry her axe.  It has no kills on it, but it nevertheless may have saved her life.  She was my best fish cleaner, but not any more.  I suppose I'll have to cage the rest of the rocs.  I had the female rocs free so that they could provide high-value eggs, but this loyalty problem is just too big I think.

The problem now is that her severed legs are rotting and stinking up the kitchen, and nobody will dump them or move them to a refuse pile.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43466 on: October 22, 2015, 08:55:39 pm »

Year 48.  Population 159.  As autumn arrived, so did another goblin siege.  That was easy enough to handle, but as we were doing cleanup and dealing with the dwarven caravan, a forgotten beast strolled into the second cavern layer.

While scoping out the situation, I ran into a pair of matched, severed legs in the kitchen and another roc corpse.  Looks like another of the rocs escaped containment and ran into one of the military, which caused one of those tame roc loyalty fubars.  One of my gem cutters wound up on the wrong end of the roc, although the details are lost along with the combat report.

She can still drag herself around, but she's so slow there's no point.  I've relieved her of all duties aside from woodcutting, which I leave her so that she'll continue to carry her axe.  It has no kills on it, but it nevertheless may have saved her life.  She was my best fish cleaner, but not any more.  I suppose I'll have to cage the rest of the rocs.  I had the female rocs free so that they could provide high-value eggs, but this loyalty problem is just too big I think.

The problem now is that her severed legs are rotting and stinking up the kitchen, and nobody will dump them or move them to a refuse pile.

If you can find no solution in-game, such as simply moving the kitchen and blocking off the affected area, designate the legs for dumping and then use the DFHack script "autodump", which will teleport them to the garbage dump, remove the dumping designation, and automatically forbid them. If a miasma'd dump is also a problem, you can use the script "autodump destroy" instead. You have three guesses as to what that script does, and the last two don't count.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43467 on: October 22, 2015, 09:09:40 pm »

If you can find no solution in-game, such as simply moving the kitchen and blocking off the affected area, designate the legs for dumping and then use the DFHack script "autodump", which will teleport them to the garbage dump, remove the dumping designation, and automatically forbid them. If a miasma'd dump is also a problem, you can use the script "autodump destroy" instead. You have three guesses as to what that script does, and the last two don't count.

I suspect they won't do anything, because another dwarf got her teeth smashed out by a crundle literally 20 years ago and her teeth have been laying there ever since.

I don't really want to use autodump here, because I try not to even though it is super-tempting when I'm making a quantum stockpile.  I use autodump-destroy-item to get rid of the honey bee royal jelly that somehow doesn't make it into a jug and just takes up space in a hive, but try not to use that, either, for non-buggy things.  I may consider this a buggy thing, though, since there's literally no reason why severed dwarven body parts should have no possible resolution.

eta: Complained too soon.  The rotting legs are gone, so someone must have decided that the miasma in the kitchen was something that needed to be handled.  Not 100% sure where they went; I had them marked for dumping, so I presume they were dumped.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 09:21:54 pm by Daris »

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43468 on: October 22, 2015, 09:55:44 pm »

eta: Complained too soon.  The rotting legs are gone, so someone must have decided that the miasma in the kitchen was something that needed to be handled.  Not 100% sure where they went; I had them marked for dumping, so I presume they were dumped.

Unless your dump is on a cliff over magma, or into some kind of atom smasher repeater setup, you should be able to find the legs on the stock screen and zoom to them.

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43469 on: October 22, 2015, 10:02:52 pm »

My dwarves were going about their lives, not a care in the world. The last goblin siege had been taken out with ease. And the dwarves were enjoying their new slightly used clothes. All was well...

But then I get a notification that the hydra Oggon Unibeb Kulsimast, A giant dragon-like monster with seven biting heads, had entered our city.  :o I immediately put up a civilian alert. The dwarves rushed inside as quickly as they could. A lever was pulled and the fortress's main entrance was sealed. The hydra would now have to enter through the underground passage I prepared.

The hydra killed all of the grazing animals outside. Then, after a pause. She took the bait. She entered the underground passage way, I sealed her in (with a few bridges) and she got caught in a cage trap. Now, I will either train her to be the ultimate guard dog and keep her as a sign that even megabeasts are no match for dwarven engineering.  :D :D :D :D :D

TLDR:
A hydra roamed into the base and I CAUGHT HER!!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:05:54 pm by vexxice »
Pages: 1 ... 2896 2897 [2898] 2899 2900 ... 3842