Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2870 2871 [2872] 2873 2874 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100391 times)

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43065 on: September 20, 2015, 07:37:43 am »

My first megaproject is underway, a Ghormenghastian wooden thing, with a gigantic tomb underneath. SO far, everything is seeming very dramatic and dwarven. All good signs: the necromancer and his zombie that ran across the map and killed a deer, the on and off war with the pandas, the artifact panda bone hammer Elderquakes made by the Relicskies kid while her father died to the mightiest panda so far, our strongest soldier that beat a black bear to death with his bear (teehee) hands, the dwarves that drowned in what would have been the mighty entrance hall, all of it.

Tell me you're going to restrict traffic through arbitrarily large portions of it, have a large crew constantly working the sweltering kitchens, and subject your dwarves to highly arbitrary traditions (such as enabling wood carving on everyone for a day and having them all create figurines, or all gathering (via military alert) in a certain place on a certain day each year for the Baron to read a proclamation at them). I just wish that trees could grow from constructed stone.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43066 on: September 20, 2015, 07:44:53 am »

It's not... actually Ghormenghast themed. Though I am totally want to do that now, esp if I get better at DFHack applications and various other managing things. Not sure I my CPU could handle that now, actually, but it would be amazing.
One wheel short of a wagon

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43067 on: September 20, 2015, 08:38:42 am »

Bim Nethurdim, one of the professional soldiers of Slickdye, murdered his immediate superior officer then replacing him, thus earning himself a promotion from optio to centurio. Congratulations Bim! ( I use Roman military ranks)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 01:40:42 pm by dwarfhoplite »

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43068 on: September 21, 2015, 03:51:44 am »

Things have started to get boring, everything is built everything smoothed, my soldiers all have legendary skills and most of them are wearing adamantine armor.
The sieges and ambushes are either small or don't happen at all. and the greater beings of this world can easily taken down by one soldier.

I want to take on the HFS, how should I go about this?
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43069 on: September 21, 2015, 07:30:42 am »

Get in touch with ThatAussieGuy?

Alternately, CHAAARGE!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43070 on: September 21, 2015, 08:11:59 am »

Spike traps. Lots and lots of spike traps.
And one lever.

Besides that, you could also use marksdwarves, but remember the safety precausions with fortifications.
I'd not try to throw your military at them, the chances of success are very low - mostly depending on how firey those friendly, funny people are.

Or just let the !!FUN!! commence.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43071 on: September 21, 2015, 08:34:25 am »

Spike traps. Lots and lots of spike traps.
And one lever.

Besides that, you could also use marksdwarves, but remember the safety precausions with fortifications.
I'd not try to throw your military at them, the chances of success are very low - mostly depending on how firey those friendly, funny people are.

Or just let the !!FUN!! commence.

Lots and lots of spike traps and one lever eh?
It begins.

Not sure what I'll do if I succeed, maybe I'll make a vain attempt to colonize HFS.
Then laugh as everything goes horribly wrong. !!FUN!! COMMENCES.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43072 on: September 21, 2015, 10:03:32 am »

Things have started to get boring, everything is built everything smoothed, my soldiers all have legendary skills and most of them are wearing adamantine armor.
The sieges and ambushes are either small or don't happen at all. and the greater beings of this world can easily taken down by one soldier.
This gives me an idea: How about modding one's race to have a low [SKILL_LEARN_RATE] (50 or lower?) Might that prevent the fort from getting too OP in too short a span of time?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43073 on: September 21, 2015, 11:23:24 am »

Not really. Ultimately, the player's cleverness is the deciding factor in any challenge, given time to prepare.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43074 on: September 21, 2015, 11:28:31 am »

Yeah, but that's playstyle, giving yourself time to prepare and no option but tricksiness. If you danger room train a military of 7 or so, they can one by one make a severe dent in even HFS, and can take out most megabeasts with little or no injury.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43075 on: September 21, 2015, 01:37:00 pm »

I looked away for a moment and a miner killed three or so dwarves. >.>
They didn't even go berserk as far as I can see... that was one hell of a tantrum.

Edit: One of the dead was one of the fort's children, too. Poor Hawkpaints. Now to decide whether to savescum or not. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:42:08 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43076 on: September 21, 2015, 01:43:00 pm »

A watched fort never boils.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43077 on: September 21, 2015, 01:50:09 pm »

Never savescum unless the fort's unplayable. Accept the Fun, embrace it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43078 on: September 21, 2015, 01:50:43 pm »

I'm doing this with my new fort, and enjoying it a lot.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43079 on: September 21, 2015, 01:52:49 pm »

Yeah, I don't think I'll savescum.
I can't even tell quite who killed who anymore... I've lost track. One dwarf killed the child, then was swiftly killed by another tantruming dwarf, who then got the shit beaten out of them by a guard, who methodically kicked out their upper and lower teeth before smashing their hand into a pulp. And now I realise there was another killer as well who I will have to sentence.

FUN indeed.

Edit: By Deler's holy Steel, another dwarf just up and decided to start throwing punches... he must be pretty damn strong, he mangled one dwarf's hand then punched another straight through the head, killing them instantly. I think I should give this lunatic a position in the military and station them far away from everyone else...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:59:59 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 2870 2871 [2872] 2873 2874 ... 3842