Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2871 2872 [2873] 2874 2875 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100124 times)

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43080 on: September 21, 2015, 02:07:24 pm »

Never savescum unless the fort's unplayable. Accept the Fun, embrace it.
i only ever savescum when my wagon starts next to a couple of violent animals, and the important dwarves die.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43081 on: September 21, 2015, 02:14:18 pm »

I just realised Urist McHeadpuncher and his wife are two of my deadliest warriors, both in the same squad.
I ordered them to murder the dwarven caravan as a way to cheer themselves up and put some spice back in their marriage.
*sniff* How romantic.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43082 on: September 21, 2015, 02:26:52 pm »

It was a glorious fight, there were dozens of demons, thankfully they were either organic beings or made out of really weak stuff like snow. Only lost one soldier in the initial fight.
Later I began work on the 'colonization' project.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43083 on: September 21, 2015, 06:44:25 pm »

Hahah, a migrant just arrived and is already 'overcome by horror'. :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

zdrgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43084 on: September 22, 2015, 12:47:20 am »

My engraver went mad when he couldn't build some useless trinket at the craft shop.   I suppose I should have checked what materials he wanted but I forgot about him while outfitting a new squad.  Now he's locked up in a old mausoleum, and I'm wondering whether I should just let him run naked and free babbling around my fortress.  He has TONS of friends and family I'm not sure which approach would be less detrimental to everyone else' sanity.  It's kinda fitting that he'll die of dehydration in there with a coffin of a baby who died and filled my meeting hall with miasma in the early years of the fort before I dug into an aquifer and built a well.  But if he's no harm to others..??

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43085 on: September 22, 2015, 05:15:49 am »

His buddies will probably be sadder if they see him die than if he just starves in a hole and you burrow a stranger to bury him.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43086 on: September 22, 2015, 08:24:06 am »

Hahah, a migrant just arrived and is already 'overcome by horror'. :))
It was inevitable.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Wings

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43087 on: September 22, 2015, 05:06:26 pm »

One year after the attack of the Bronze Colossus, another Beast tried to invade Cudgelpages:
It went right into the "trap" and the Crossbowman were able to kill it before it could break through!
The only casualty was a dog, who gave the ballista the time to hit the FB. He was thrown ~11 tiles back through the fortifications.

Im really happy the ballista did so much damage, otherwise I dont think the bolts would have killed it fast enough.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:09:41 pm by Wings »

zdrgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43088 on: September 22, 2015, 11:20:40 pm »

His buddies will probably be sadder if they see him die than if he just starves in a hole and you burrow a stranger to bury him.

Yeah yer right, I guess its over now for that poor engraver.. Its been another season or two and now he's probably unhappy because he's dying of starvation and thirst.. time to let him expire..  He hasn't even broken a coffin or slab, such a nice well behaved babbling idiot. 

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43089 on: September 22, 2015, 11:48:58 pm »

Poor guy.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

zdrgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43090 on: September 23, 2015, 12:26:03 am »

Well thanks to all your apathy, my engraver has died of thirst amidst the tombs of similarly thirsty babies.(quantity = 1)

Warning> explicit dead dwarf images below:
(i waited for the miasma to subside to take this screenie..)

If you dont' believe me, view this next spoiler..

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43091 on: September 23, 2015, 06:29:48 am »

I finally managed to do the double-slit method properly, as opposed to some crazy ad-hoc solution. ...And then I managed to punch through the bottom layer without realizing it, and had to improvise anyways (by which I mean designating the (full) stairs (or rather, the z level above) as water sources and telling my dwarves that the cliffside was an empty pond and they should go fill it, like, right now).

This fort is going weirdly, in general. I got my farm and still and kitchen up early (while I was waiting for the many steps of aquifer-punching), and didn't have much of any rock (I brought 10 mica. That's it - I spent 6 of it on two levers and links, and 1 on blocks for a temporary drawbridge (using one of said links), and 2 on cage traps, leaving 1 for a mood (or furnace) if necessary). I also actually built a surface structure for once (out of wood). I had to hunker down quickly, as there are two towers as neighbors. And I actually started an egg industry, for once. Although a) I brought 10 males and 2 females instead of vice-versa, and b) the females don't seem to want to use their nest boxes (I don't know why?). 

Also, PSA: going into announcements.txt and changing building cancellation to pause-and-recenter really helps with aquifer-punching. Although it'll make you want to strangle your brewer and/or planter.
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Ubrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43092 on: September 23, 2015, 08:05:09 am »

Just visited the Circus for the first time, expecting and hoping for some Fun after the only two things attacking me were a small goblin siege and a steam FB which one of my miners punched to death.
What happened was that my extremely underwhelming and mostly unarmored militia beat off the Clowns with extreme ease, losing only 7 out of 30 dwarves.

Then my smith had a mood...

I am now contemplating sacrificing him to the clowns.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #43093 on: September 23, 2015, 12:38:03 pm »

Decided to get back into the game.

Right, new fort. Oooh, volcano with clay, sand, lots of metals and flux! Climate's nice. Lots of trees to cut down. Only downside is no running water.

All is going well, when suddenly, two months in, "Ineth Rigothgim, Woodcutter cancels Fell Tree: Unconscious."

Turns out, a larch log fell on him and crushed his hand.

So far so good...
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43094 on: September 23, 2015, 03:16:12 pm »

Weird. Very, very weird.

For the second time now a human caravan has decided to somehow attack my dwarves upon trying to leave (or shortly before actually starting to leave). It appears that the rest of the caravan is now broken occupying my trade post, unwilling to leave. I really don't understand what happened...was it maybe because they saw a war-trained grizzly bear from the elf raid earlier?

Well, my military made short work of them, just minor injuries to one civilian it seems...Appears that grizzlies can teleport through walls though, because there's no other way he got into my civilian area and spooked the human caravan - well, at least they can teleport through walls when fired against them via a "cage emptying"-shotgun.

Soooo many corpses to dump...first the elves, then the elves and goblins I captured and fed to my Jabberers and then the god damn human caravan...
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.
Pages: 1 ... 2871 2872 [2873] 2874 2875 ... 3842