Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2867 2868 [2869] 2870 2871 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100573 times)

hauntedmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43020 on: September 17, 2015, 12:43:21 am »

When it says a creature has a bulging/twitching/swaying/ohmygodFBhorror trunk, do they mean a trunk like an elephant, or a 'trunk' like a different word for torso?

Always wondered.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43021 on: September 17, 2015, 12:56:29 am »

When it says a creature has a bulging/twitching/swaying/ohmygodFBhorror trunk, do they mean a trunk like an elephant, or a 'trunk' like a different word for torso?

Always wondered.

90% sure it's the pachidermal trunk

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43022 on: September 17, 2015, 08:16:15 am »

The trunk is listed as a separate body part, so yes.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43023 on: September 17, 2015, 08:26:34 am »

I decided to make the walrus men again and make them and plump helmet men playable in adventure mode and fortress mode.

You should also give your walrus people non-sapient walrus mounts and pet wingèd giant walrus...griffon...things. The onslaught of pinnipeds would overwhelm the pathetic land-based creatures. It is terrifying.

A vile force of darkness turned up for the first time in a couple of years. Honestly, I don't know why their demonic master doesn't just come itself, considering how every single one of their sieges goes.

This siege was particularly embarrassing for the goblins, because one of my legendary axedwarves (combat skills honed through long practice, several sieges by goblins and one by even more pathetic humans, and fighting the horrific creatures of the hollow caverns of the earth. You know, your standard axedwarf) arrived on the scene long before everybody else, who got distracted on the way chasing some coyotes. He was immediately mobbed by the the entire goblin force. The combat log is a long, long list of goblins failing to hit him and then having their limbs hacked off or their heads collapsed by a well-placed kick or punch. By the time the others arrived, the goblins were dead and the trolls in disarray. He became the first dwarf in this fort to earn the profession-name "Siegebreaker." It's less prestigious than "Beastslayer" (kill one forgotten beast or megabeast, you're "Whoever's Bane"; kill two or more, you're "Beastslayer"), but still no accolade to sneeze at.

I've begun construction on the Tower, a massive, well, tower, whose base (once finished) shall be deep in the earth (currently a few Z-levels) and which shall stretch to the top of the sky, where it will link the dwarven city of the deep to the new dwarven *sky* city, held aloft by masterful workdwarfship (thanks to the whole "as long as it's supported orthagonally by any other natural or constructed wall or floor, it'll stand" rule).

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43024 on: September 17, 2015, 08:29:33 am »

Heavensins went three years without receiving an outpost liaison from the Mountainhome, and after looking up the reason on the wiki, I'd consigned myself to the fact that the civilisation was dead, nobody at my fort knew it, and the highest honour in the entire civilisation was Expedition Leader

And then: "The Macedwarf Cog Eturuvar has arrived from Sigun Unnos", "A caravan from Sigun Unnos has arrived."
And literally nothing has changed.

Either Cog spent three years in the Distortion World fighting everyone's favourite ghost dragon, or Heavensins is literally Purgatory.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43025 on: September 17, 2015, 08:43:34 am »

It's named Heavensins. Of course it's purgatory. You've got the divine and the demonic both in the name.  :P

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43026 on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:30 am »

It's named Heavensins. Of course it's purgatory. You've got the divine and the demonic both in the name.  :P

What, just because I literally named the fort "Fort Naphalem", and gave the Starting Seven names that comprised of one deadly sin and one heavenly virtue, it's automatically a locus of a constant vortex of good and evil? :P

Boy, am I glad for the [AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL] feature. Fell victim to the fatal Bug 0008719, but managed to pull back. Cog just arrived again.

Wings

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43027 on: September 17, 2015, 12:21:55 pm »

Its the eight year of Cudgelpages and finally something worth to fight appeared!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Until now there were only some FBs, most of them weaklings like this one:
I had to send my military immediately into the caverns to grab the kill, but sometimes the wildlive just killed them... :'(
I will send my trained militia against it: 2 Axelords, a Spearmaster and a Hammerlord to engange it in a glorious battle!

EDIT:
About eight years of training seem to be pretty effective:
The militia commander got the kill:
The bronze colossus transformed into a statue of an unknown dwarf, perhaps I look him up in legends.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 01:21:56 pm by Wings »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43028 on: September 17, 2015, 02:21:15 pm »

The best thing about Bronze Colossi. You can decorate your fortress with their corpses.

Treah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43029 on: September 17, 2015, 02:42:07 pm »

Lol I had a FB made of flame that skittered up a pit and then proceed to burn down part of the mushroom holding a wall apparently causing a cave in killing himself and setting most of the lower caves on fire. And this is the second one to basically commit suicide in my fort.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #43030 on: September 17, 2015, 02:46:57 pm »

It says something that the untold horrors of the deep come to your fortress, see that Black Bastion, know they're no longer the most ugly or menacing things in the depths, and so decide to make an end of their aeons of existence.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43031 on: September 17, 2015, 04:37:54 pm »

It seems things are going downhill for my civilization. in the first year of my fortress nothing happened. In the second year a site was conquered, then in the third year three sites were conquered, 3 more were conquered in year 4.
I also have 2 barons due to them being the rightful heirs so ya 2 barons died. the king still lives so there is still hope, maybe, probably not. I have a feeling that I'll need some royal accommodations soon.

Though I guess it was going to happen eventually, plump helmet men aren't exactly the most durable of beings. I remember in one world I generated the entirety of the plump helmet man's civilization was conquered by humans.

still no invasions just yet. thankfully. I doubt a bunch of little mushroom men wearing copper armour are going to be much of a threat.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43032 on: September 17, 2015, 05:53:30 pm »

What, just because I literally named the fort "Fort Naphalem", and gave the Starting Seven names that comprised of one deadly sin and one heavenly virtue, it's automatically a locus of a constant vortex of good and evil? :P

Boy, am I glad for the [AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL] feature. Fell victim to the fatal Bug 0008719, but managed to pull back. Cog just arrived again.

The bug where building in a tree crashes the game? Yeah, that happened to me once. Right after an autosave. So it was fine.

It's a bit more annoying when a tree grows through a windmill (as in, there are branch and leaf tiles in the 3x3 windmill area), and destroys the windmill when it's cut down. (I haven't reported that because I use LNP, so it's a modded version of the game. If someone finds that bug in vanilla, I suggest you report it.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43033 on: September 17, 2015, 06:46:21 pm »

Ishennist, "The Passionate Fear,"a bronze longsword of otherworldly perfection. With a guppy on it. The sword was immediately pressed into service by the fort's only swordsdwarf, Colonel Olon. Expedition Leader Melbil was quite pleased with herself for the result of her fey mood.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43034 on: September 17, 2015, 08:06:33 pm »

Still no siege nor ambush, another site had been conquered and my fortress is officially a barony so I have three barons now. great.

a forest titan decided to visit, its made flesh, nice. It breathes fire...not nice. this wouldn't be a problem but its setting the grass and trees on fire so ya, lost three of my swordsmen in the fire, thankfully one of the soldiers that came with the merchants this fall was able to kill it.

3 (4?) casualties and the land is burning. amazing. I should plan for something to prevent further problems like that.
I really want a siege/ambush, I don't care what happens whether victory or defeat I just want to see a glorious battle of plump helmet men vs walrus men.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.
Pages: 1 ... 2867 2868 [2869] 2870 2871 ... 3842