Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2853 2854 [2855] 2856 2857 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101663 times)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42810 on: August 22, 2015, 03:02:39 pm »

Lots of tower building and remodeling to incorporate open air barracks with 2 layer thick walls without compromising the basic panopticon design that was already designed and built. All this because I found out that the retracting bridges I built on the surface to act as a roof - even when raised, still mark the tiles beneath it as inside instead of outside, which makes the whole barracks on the surface business rather moot. Will have to redo the whole paving part for the surrounding area as well. Also, a child was born with a preference for long swords! Will be letting the runt have a go at weapon-smith apprenticeship as soon as she grows to be of age, though the preference for platinum worries me. Will removing all the platinum bars in the fortress via trade solve that issue when she moods? Cause I know forbidding them sure as hell doesn't work. Maybe I'll have access to candy by then which will override her preferences.

On top of all that, I've been busy testing and genning worlds for a succession fortress. I think I've got the formula down pat now, just need to go about the tedious business of finding and cataloging the sites.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:05:27 pm by Zuglarkun »

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42811 on: August 22, 2015, 04:46:53 pm »

Among other things I'm just noticing how many of dwarves have seemingly goblin names (Baso, Utes Dostngosp etc.). I first noticed it with my outpost liaison, because I thought he was a goblin, but he only had a goblin name. They have similarly goblinny last names as well. Of those with such names there seems to be a high percentage of those who "Dreams of ruling the world." It's also odd that these goblin-named can have two parents with perfectly dorfy names. Anybody have guess on how this happens. I haven't messed with Legends mode yet and don't really know how to make sense of the history of the world.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42812 on: August 22, 2015, 06:10:48 pm »

I just discovered that the slime that rains from the sky in Blazecook causes massive blisters/swelling/bleeding.

It is apparently resistible, but forgetting to take your entire military off "station" in an area where the stuff falls has some messy effects.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42813 on: August 22, 2015, 06:11:45 pm »

Among other things I'm just noticing how many of dwarves have seemingly goblin names (Baso, Utes Dostngosp etc.). I first noticed it with my outpost liaison, because I thought he was a goblin, but he only had a goblin name. They have similarly goblinny last names as well. Of those with such names there seems to be a high percentage of those who "Dreams of ruling the world." It's also odd that these goblin-named can have two parents with perfectly dorfy names. Anybody have guess on how this happens. I haven't messed with Legends mode yet and don't really know how to make sense of the history of the world.

In Fortress mode, you can press "c" to see your civilization and so on. If you then select the civilization with "enter" you can scroll through all of the noble positions in that civ. That should be a start.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42814 on: August 22, 2015, 06:13:49 pm »

I just discovered that the slime that rains from the sky in Blazecook causes massive blisters/swelling/bleeding.

It is apparently resistible, but forgetting to take your entire military off "station" in an area where the stuff falls has some messy effects.

Be glad it isn't literal acid rain. I had to deal with that once, back in .34.  :(

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42815 on: August 22, 2015, 07:37:33 pm »

Acid rain, some stay dry while others feel the pain.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42816 on: August 22, 2015, 07:40:21 pm »

While his choice of material is a bit suspect, my weaver is getting pretty good...

Worth 91 though, not too shabby!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42817 on: August 22, 2015, 08:04:53 pm »

Rescued abductees.

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42818 on: August 22, 2015, 08:25:21 pm »

We "tamed" a thralled pet peachick, which wasn't actually owned by any of the migrants who arrived with it originally.

Out of curiosity, I released it from its cage, which resulted in a quick and amusing battle, resulting in a dog losing its teeth, and the peachick finding the sweet release of final death.

As for that naked female thralled woodcutter in the cage in our dining hall? Yep, she's still there. KEEPIN' THE ORIGINAL 7 TOGETHER!
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42819 on: August 23, 2015, 12:46:13 am »

Enemy had came and laid siege on my fort, but they are composed entirely of marksdwarves. Whom am I fighting here exactly?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42820 on: August 23, 2015, 07:52:07 am »

Enemy had came and laid siege on my fort, but they are composed entirely of marksdwarves. Whom am I fighting here exactly?

Assuming an unmodded game, if the message was, in fact "The enemy have come and laid siege to your fort!", they are probably bandits.

Alternately, if the message had been "A vile force of darkness has arrived!" then they would be dwarfs that had been kidknapped and raised by goblins, and so were part of the goblin civ. (Yes, there are occasionally "goblin" sieges that don't contain any goblins.)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42821 on: August 23, 2015, 08:13:45 am »

Welp, two of my dwarves have fallen in love right after embark. THere are only 3 dwarves left, so the last guy must feel like a bit of a third wheel, but he's friends with the hopefully soon-to-be bride, and they went through the beak dog massacre together, killing all of them, and have also seen off kobolds with knives. They're currently constructing the begginnings of a quick 1x1 fort, in order to get through to the caravans, which will be special.

I've modded caravans to be the only animals that can pull caravans.
One wheel short of a wagon

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42822 on: August 23, 2015, 08:28:40 am »

wagons pulling wagons x_x
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42823 on: August 23, 2015, 08:34:52 am »

And what will pull them?

More wagons?

Nothing?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:09:17 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42824 on: August 23, 2015, 12:47:20 pm »

I have been slowing tweaking my ultimate WorldGen.  After ~10 cumulative rejections, I just created this beauty;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Literally every !FUN! geographic feature a Dwarf could possibly want, and with plenty of Civs to boot.  Admittedly this was created in Masterwork, so I'll have lots of civs anyways, but would still work equally well in vanilla.
Pages: 1 ... 2853 2854 [2855] 2856 2857 ... 3842