Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2855 2856 [2857] 2858 2859 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101377 times)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42840 on: August 24, 2015, 08:10:38 pm »

Started a fort in a husking & reanimating glacier.  Fort made it a year and then everyone ran outside despite my forbidding everything.  They were desperate to get murdered.  I have no idea why.
Who can fathom the Dwarven mind?  :P

Mayhaps they were hunting? I've had Dwarves leave the safety of the Mountainbunker to go fishing, in more temperate biomes (I've yet to last very long on an evil glacier.)

At least they didn't get thralled on their way to the embark. That's never fun (nor even !!FUN!!)
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42841 on: August 24, 2015, 11:13:58 pm »

I have an aging crippled cat who due to injuries years previously, is unable to stand up properly, and drags herself around. She scared off a troll not once, not twice, but three times. It kept trying to attack her, but as soon as he got close, (I'm presuming she hissed and swatted at him) he'd panic and run away.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42842 on: August 25, 2015, 01:49:26 am »

Started a fort in a husking & reanimating glacier.  Fort made it a year and then everyone ran outside despite my forbidding everything.  They were desperate to get murdered.  I have no idea why.

Yeah it's crazy how insistent they can be about running into danger. I think my crazy dwarf threw the lever (you fool of a took! Throw yourself in next time!!!)) to my front door and three dwarves bolted outside when there was an undead siege and probably ten other corpses and various body parts walking around. The one who got the furthest just had to get out there and start cleaning up corpses. He grabbed a mangled Ostrich corpse (and wtf, they're supposed to ignore corpses outside and I can't even get them to pick up the corpse of the outpost liaison sitting in the middle of my staircase). Needless to say those that ran out learned that it's only a one-way door. The worst was watching 30 pages of reports for the dwarf that was killed slowly by the duck corpse.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:29:01 pm by Bakaridjan »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42843 on: August 25, 2015, 05:58:16 am »

Yeah it's crazy how insistent they can be about running into danger. I think my crazy dwarf threw the lever (you fool of a took! Throw yourself in next time!!!)) to my front door and three dwarves bolted outside when there are was an undead siege and probably ten other corpses and various body parts walking around. The one who got the furthest just had to get out there and start cleaning up corpses. He grabbed a mangled Ostrich corpse (and wtf, they're supposed to ignore corpses outside and I can't even get them to pick up the corpse of the outpost liaison sitting in the middle of my staircase). Needless to say those that ran out learned that it's only a one-way door. The worst was watching 30 pages of reports for the dwarf that was killed slowly by the duck corpse.

LOL... yes, pecked to death by ducks is only a punchline when it's not happening to you.  That's pretty much exactly what happened.  I had one dwarf run outside, see the bull corpse left from an earlier migration wave, and then the whole fort came piling up the stairs and across the cage traps that were (in the first year) their only line of defense and out into the wastes.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #42844 on: August 25, 2015, 02:14:09 pm »

That sounds like a fowl way to go
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42845 on: August 25, 2015, 04:03:16 pm »

My fort seems somewhat confused about what race they are. My first artifact was a sheep wool thong. I would have found a way to burn it, as being for elves, if it didn't have an image of chains on it!!! Maybe they can pass it around and I'll have lots of dorfin cubs running around soon. The next artifact was a blowgun made by an immigrant Bowyer. Can I get my dwarfs to equip that? It is an artifact weapon after all.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:27:10 pm by Bakaridjan »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42846 on: August 25, 2015, 04:05:45 pm »

You should be able to, sounds like you had some pretty sick worldgen!
One wheel short of a wagon

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #42847 on: August 25, 2015, 05:03:36 pm »

You should be able to, sounds like you had some pretty sick worldgen!

If I remember correctly, it'll just be used as a rather inferior quality blunt weapon.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42848 on: August 25, 2015, 05:14:45 pm »

What about if your fort has a war on or similar and you get one with the blowgunner skill via skill randomisation?
One wheel short of a wagon

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42849 on: August 25, 2015, 08:16:13 pm »

Just can't seem to keep a fort alive past a year or so in a reanimating biome.  Feel like a failure as a DF'er.   :'(
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #42850 on: August 25, 2015, 08:50:00 pm »

I have an aging crippled cat who due to injuries years previously, is unable to stand up properly, and drags herself around. She scared off a troll not once, not twice, but three times. It kept trying to attack her, but as soon as he got close, (I'm presuming she hissed and swatted at him) he'd panic and run away.

I thought that this wasn't a "Things that made you sad today" thread but something happened when you said she scared off trolls.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42851 on: August 26, 2015, 02:19:14 am »

Just can't seem to keep a fort alive past a year or so in a reanimating biome.  Feel like a failure as a DF'er.   :'(
Heh... heh heh... hee hee hoo hah hah hah... behold:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42852 on: August 26, 2015, 05:50:16 am »

True, haven't tried yet embarking on one that close to the magma  :)  If I didn't have to carry potentially reanimating items to a dropshaft halfway to the basement, I think it wouldn't be quite as bad.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42853 on: August 26, 2015, 10:19:32 am »

I thought that this wasn't a "Things that made you sad today" thread but something happened when you said she scared off trolls.

Yup :).

The area she was in was supposed to be protected by a draw-bridge, but due to reasons, the bridges couldn't be closed. I was sad when I saw the troll coming at her and there was nothing I could do about it -- and then LOVED when she managed to keep scaring the troll away. She's still doing fine. The troll wandered off and decided that my legendary axe-dwarf was a less frightening target, and got itself killed.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42854 on: August 26, 2015, 04:52:42 pm »

Embarked on a cave.  Embark dropped my wagon directly on top of the hill full of goblins... thanks, RNG.  One survivor, and two oxen.  No tools.  He's camped in the woods, waiting to see if the first migrant wave will bring anyone with a pick or an axe.

Pages: 1 ... 2855 2856 [2857] 2858 2859 ... 3842