Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2692 2693 [2694] 2695 2696 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111899 times)

Exodus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40395 on: March 18, 2015, 04:42:07 pm »

I've only got one question for your plan Stagnant.

If all of your migrant waves are either smiths or soldiers...what the heck are your dwarves going to eat?
------------

I've recently started a new world and to my surprise found two goblin civilizations with a fortress each surrounded by dark pits. I stuck my fort almost right between them, the tiles nearly touching.
 Anyways, I'm building a mostly above ground fort, which takes a lot of wood so the elves may be a bit upset later...but who cares, screw those guys.

Anyways, the idea is to create a large mega tower to house my dwarves in. So far we've built the base and most of the next floor, minus actual walls and a roof.

A brook runs right alongside the Tower and an underground cistern will probably be created as well as a moat. The third floor of the tower will have fortifications peeking outwards to assist in defence of the fortress as well as some ballistae.

About five floors up will be specially designed room which is essentially just a bridge and the next level stairs across it. The bridge will remain open in times of peace, however if any enemies ever break through then a lever higher up will be pulled and access to the remaining tower levels will be separated.

Just in case anyone is curious, about five of our civilizations important figures/nobles are Goblins. It's quite...odd.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #40396 on: March 18, 2015, 04:44:07 pm »

A giant mosquito arrived as the fire imp merchants were leaving. One of the imps threw a fireball and hit the mosquito in the wing. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but since the wing had no blood, after the mosquito's fat melted off I had a flaming giant mosquito flying around setting the forest on fire. Eventually it was killed by a cave-in from burning branches, but not before it set a quarter of the surface on fire and burned a bunch of cage traps. After the fire burned out, which didn't take long, I designated the burnt trees for cutting and I ordered my glassmakers to make more cages.

Then I got attacked by buzzards. There goes my zero stress fort. As the buzzards were shot down a webber tick showed up in the second cavern. Wonderful.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40397 on: March 18, 2015, 04:54:03 pm »

If all of your migrant waves are either smiths or soldiers...what the heck are your dwarves going to eat?
------------

I've recently started a new world and to my surprise found two goblin civilizations with a fortress each surrounded by dark pits. I stuck my fort almost right between them, the tiles nearly touching.
 Anyways, I'm building a mostly above ground fort, which takes a lot of wood so the elves may be a bit upset later...but who cares, screw those guys.

Anyways, the idea is to create a large mega tower to house my dwarves in. So far we've built the base and most of the next floor, minus actual walls and a roof.

A brook runs right alongside the Tower and an underground cistern will probably be created as well as a moat. The third floor of the tower will have fortifications peeking outwards to assist in defence of the fortress as well as some ballistae.

About five floors up will be specially designed room which is essentially just a bridge and the next level stairs across it. The bridge will remain open in times of peace, however if any enemies ever break through then a lever higher up will be pulled and access to the remaining tower levels will be separated.

Just in case anyone is curious, about five of our civilizations important figures/nobles are Goblins. It's quite...odd.

That's why they train only every second month. The other months are hauling and preparing food.

I tried something very similar before, but didn't clear out the caverns, so suddenly while trying to fight the clowns, cave ogres and trolls flooded my flank. And I was facing at least half of them being stone, one type being iron and a spider, two types being gem, and the weakest type being flesh.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:56:15 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40398 on: March 18, 2015, 05:01:45 pm »

------------

That's why they train only every second month. The other months are hauling and preparing food.

I tried something very similar before, but didn't clear out the caverns, so suddenly while trying to fight the clowns, cave ogres and trolls flooded my flank. And I was facing at least half of them being stone, one type being iron and a spider, two types being gem, and the weakest type being flesh.

With the overpowered feature of gather fruits, using a step ladder, an herbalist can supply you needed food and brew-ables from a few gather zones. 
Instead of stonecrafters for caravan trade fodder, stone pots + cooking lavish meals will do the job.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40399 on: March 18, 2015, 05:35:57 pm »

------------

With the overpowered feature of gather fruits, using a step ladder, an herbalist can supply you needed food and brew-ables from a few gather zones. 
Instead of stonecrafters for caravan trade fodder, stone pots + cooking lavish meals will do the job.

Trading prepared meals, using quantum stockpiles, and using a wood crafter are my three big no nos.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40400 on: March 18, 2015, 06:36:23 pm »

What's wrong with woodcrafters? I find them preferable to other means for making nest boxes, hives, and jugs (usually because metal, clay, and stone are better pressed into service elsewhere.)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40401 on: March 18, 2015, 07:34:30 pm »

What's wrong with woodcrafters? I find them preferable to other means for making nest boxes, hives, and jugs (usually because metal, clay, and stone are better pressed into service elsewhere.)

-_-

[Space] [ s] [a] [k] [>] [>] [>] [^] "Splint, Human Player" [Enter]

Die you filthy tree loving, knife-eared bastard.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40402 on: March 18, 2015, 07:44:29 pm »

I always wonder why do you guys so care about migrants with civ skills.

You need less than 20 dwarves to run your fort, anyone else can either be used to construct buildings or as haulers. Even if you start with the dumbest 7 dwarven peasants in the world, they will become good workers after 1 year or 2. So new migrants are just bonus and backup.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

extremejon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40403 on: March 18, 2015, 07:53:02 pm »

New world. Decided to have an actual goal past survival.

1: Secure a 5 X 5 area on the map, using a human hamlet as the start,

Is there a mod or trick that allows this? I've never been able to embark on settlements.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40404 on: March 18, 2015, 07:58:41 pm »

New world. Decided to have an actual goal past survival.

1: Secure a 5 X 5 area on the map, using a human hamlet as the start,

Is there a mod or trick that allows this? I've never been able to embark on settlements.

Yeah, it's embark tools.

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40405 on: March 18, 2015, 08:55:58 pm »

Stagnant, your plan is really awesome!  :) I love it! I am just gonna cues you are an expert player/military man. My current goal is to get enough of an army to actually face off one of the seiges that come by instead of turtling. I did make a trap hall but I want to be able to best these stupid gobbos/white tigermen/frogmen in a true dwarven battle! Yeah, getting my military up is one of my top priorities. Anyway. Love the plan, will you keep us posted on your progress?
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40406 on: March 18, 2015, 09:00:28 pm »

If you have a good enough cpu, maybe you can try raiding a dark fortress?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40407 on: March 18, 2015, 09:51:43 pm »

Stagnant, your plan is really awesome!  :) I love it! I am just gonna cues you are an expert player/military man. My current goal is to get enough of an army to actually face off one of the seiges that come by instead of turtling. I did make a trap hall but I want to be able to best these stupid gobbos/white tigermen/frogmen in a true dwarven battle! Yeah, getting my military up is one of my top priorities. Anyway. Love the plan, will you keep us posted on your progress?

Oh, thank you! I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Maybe I should make a thread for it?

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40408 on: March 18, 2015, 11:12:10 pm »

One of my founders went fey and made a smoke weed fiber thong. Ooooooookay.

Bastiongate Todo

Short term (1-2 years):
 - breach hell
 - begin processing adamantine
 - build temple to Armok (in hell?), sacrifice useless captives

Long term (2-5 years):
 - armor and arm military with adamantine
 - build hell bunker

Very long term (10-20 years):
 - armor entire population in minimalist steel, arm with wood shields and obsidian swords
 - wall off hell
 - seal prospective couples in rooms, begin marrying fort-born dwarves

Steel is better than addy for plate armour. Use addy for chainmail only. Addy's lack of density prevents it from blocking even the weakest of blunt impacts, but since blunt doesn't get blocked by chainmail anyway, it's there that addy can shine.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40409 on: March 18, 2015, 11:35:17 pm »

Steel is better than addy for plate armour. Use addy for chainmail only. Addy's lack of density prevents it from blocking even the weakest of blunt impacts, but since blunt doesn't get blocked by chainmail anyway, it's there that addy can shine.

When testing in arena mode, full addy grand master hammer dorf vs steel clad dorf, addy team won every time.
I gave them iron hammer to give steel armor better performance.

Addy plate deflects hammer attacks quite well. If it fails to deflect, the wear usually receives only bruises.

Pages: 1 ... 2692 2693 [2694] 2695 2696 ... 3842